Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Miftan posted:

The last league event they did (World championship?) had several alternate league universes in it. Arcane, their card game, wild rift, team fight tactics and the main league game were all shown to be distinct universes.

Yeah, I probably should been more specific that the question is whether the MMO is going to go with Arcane or League.

Macaluso posted:

Caitlyn is absolutely the top, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

You all are mad if you think Cait is the top in that relationship.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There is no response I can make that isn't dangerously horney

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*turns hose onto thread* Calm down, the lot of ya

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Miftan posted:

You all are mad if you think Cait is the top in that relationship.

All tall women are bottoms ime yeah.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Firstly, not a fan of LoL but I do love a good weird fiction dystopia, also love to draw/paint and have a huge appreciation for concept art. Was recommended this by a few people last year who told me 'Trust me, completely ignore the LoL thing, watch this because the animation and story is amazing', but sort of set it on the backburner due to busy times after Xmas. Finally got around to it this last weekend after my plans were derailed due to the local storms and me recovering from a migraine. Thought I'd pop on some easy watching nonsense to enjoy while resting out the postdrome in bed. Holy poo poo I was wrong to sleep on this, it is hands down the best series I have seen for a long time. I cannot even begin to express how good this series is. I ended up binging the entire nine episodes in a day.

The entire thing looks like beautiful concept art paintings, but animated. Every part of it is gorgeously animated.

In nine episodes, the storytelling is so lean - it's a masterclass in show don't tell. There's no need for much exposition, all the setting and nuance unfolds organically in conversation or suggestion. So much is crammed into character expressions and body language.

The voice acting is incredible, and in combination with the animation pulled off some heart-wrenching stuff that I've rarely seen actors pull off before.

The soundtrack is great. Maybe the only thing I found annoying was the Imagine Dragons cameo (though I do like their song as the theme). The music at the end of the 3rd episode, and the during the Ekko and Jinx fight, and the finale though? Amazing.

All the characters are nuanced, even the villains. That's not me endorsing any of them, but just glad they are fleshed out as people instead of stereotypes as such.

Every episode was good, not one weak one. Just an absolute powerhouse of a finale.

Was glad to see some queer representation, and happy to wait until the next series to see it (hopefully) pay off, as it might have been a bit rushed for series one.

I'm just absolutely loving bewildered and delighted that this exists and somehow is way better than it has any right to be, and also there is going to be a second season (also impatient for that). I'm going to re-watch it immediately.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

TONY MEATBALLS posted:

Was glad to see some queer representation, and happy to wait until the next series to see it (hopefully) pay off
Very curious if this will happen. Big contingent of League's fans are in a very homophobic country and what was in season 1 was basically queerbaiting 101 level stuff.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It really wasn't queerbaiting, it was super obviously a romance and the characters are long established as a couple in the lore. It's possible they'll restrict the explicit kissing and love declarations to a few scenes that they'll cut out for China and Russia, but there's no way they leave it even as "ambiguous" as it is now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pidan posted:

It really wasn't queerbaiting, it was super obviously a romance and the characters are long established as a couple in the lore. It's possible they'll restrict the explicit kissing and love declarations to a few scenes that they'll cut out for China and Russia, but there's no way they leave it even as "ambiguous" as it is now.

Yeah. Unless something happens the creators act like it's much more a question of 'how' and not 'if.'

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

pidan posted:

If you mean Vi and Caitlyn they haven't actually been long established as a couple, Arcane is actually the most explicit about them even being potentially in a relationship, everything else has been teases. They've been partners in the police sense since forever, they've had fliratious lines, but any actual romantic connection hasn't been an official thing until Arcane.

However, the following has been official. Leona and Diana (they went on a date and have a mutual attraction torn apart by their current religious situation vis a vis moon and sun), Valmar and Kai a pair of gay men who have been transformed into a singular body for the Darkin Demon Varus to use as he enacts his ancient vengeance except if they are in sync they can stop him from acting.

There's also Neeko (officially a lesbian, no actual romantic partner, interested in Nidalee) and Miss Fortune (lovers both male and female) and Rell (clear attraction to both genders, no partners, is 17).

For what it's worth, Caitlyn and Vi have had the same amount of teasing as Graves and TF (partners, comments about them being together all the time by other characters, pet names, in-jokes) and I'm pretty sure Graves and TF are going to be canon soon enough. They also get the same amount of teasing as Garen and Katarina (who are on opposite sides of a war even).

I do agree there's no way they leave it as "ambiguous" as it is now, but Arcane is where it has really been highlighted and made official, it's not using previous official lore. Arcane also notably has already had disconnects with the lore that League champions have since had (the most recent Zaunite champions don't fit Arcane whatsoever, Arcane itself doesn't fit the presentation of the Universes page for Piltover and Zaun visually).

Right now there's effectively 3 pseudo-canons, League itself has backstory and setting details for champions, Legends of Runeterra has an expanded amount of details of the world, but doesn't always match itself or League, and Arcane is its own thing that is using details from both but already has divergences, especially in terms of Hextech (at least one League Champion has a backstory that doesn't work with Arcane's version of Hextech).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The romantic elements were pretty blink-and-you'll-miss-it so I can imagine it was easy to cut from the Russian and Chinese versions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's nothing ambiguous about that Caitlyn shower scene

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The romantic elements were pretty blink-and-you'll-miss-it so I can imagine it was easy to cut from the Russian and Chinese versions.

"You're [HELPFUL], [COMRADE]."

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

"You're [HELPFUL], [COMRADE]."

:allears:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Macaluso posted:

There's nothing ambiguous about that Caitlyn shower scene

I used to think it was queerbaiting but the third act is pretty unambiguous. All of my friends thought they were pretty explicit about Caitlyn/Vi.

Plus, they will just censor it like when China removed the entirety of the Jayce/Mel sex scene.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

I'm going to watch Arcane again because it owns.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I know fuckall about League of Legends but watched this in like three days just now and goddamn this was good.

It's really creepy and weird how thirsty the show is for Jinx, though, seeing as how we saw her as a kid and she's also insane with some heavy Harley Quinn vibes, but drat, the character designs in this show overall are just badass. Particularly Mel, Silco, and Vi.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not sure if this has been posted in the thread before but one of the composers for Arcane did a video breaking down the arrangement and composition of "What Could Have Been".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DegKNj62-w

I've been a fan of Sting and The Police for my entire life, and when the final episode first aired and I watched it and Sting's voice came on at the end I literally broke out in tears. It's so wonderfully staged and set to the visuals that I was having a hard time not crying watching it as it all came together in this video.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
With Netflix announcing that they are canceling animation shows, does anyone know if Arcane is affected? With how much praise the shows been getting, I can't imagine it's one of the shows on the chopping block...

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

With Netflix announcing that they are canceling animation shows, does anyone know if Arcane is affected? With how much praise the shows been getting, I can't imagine it's one of the shows on the chopping block...

It won't be affected. Riot is paying for it, not Netflix.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah and as much as I am hoping Riot takes their ball and goes elsewhere, Netflix has no actual control over Arcane

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Asema posted:

Yeah and as much as I am hoping Riot takes their ball and goes elsewhere, Netflix has no actual control over Arcane

If they wanted they could probably take it to Amazon Prime or heck, maybe even do it themselves.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Please god anywhere else but prime. It has the absolute worst picture quality and wouldn’t even come close to doing the show justice.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

While I'm fearful for things like the Devil May Cry animated show and the Castlevania animation continuation with how cost-cutting happy Netflix is acting lately, Arcane's absolutely the safest animated thing on Netflix. It's got heaps of praise and popularity going for it, and on top of that it's the IP of a game company with plenty of money to throw at it. All Netflix dropping it would mean is that it'd go to somewhere else for distribution in like, two weeks tops.

One of the knocks against Netflix seems to be that it'll spend a lot of money on the shows it really values or sees as big attention grabbers (Stranger Things is the show that's been brought up the most, but things like paying a fortune to secure the streaming rights to Seinfeld come to mind as well), and Arcane's got to be the closest animated show to that "big deal" status on Netflix's end at the moment. I'd be shocked to see it not just continue on at Netflix for as long as the creative forces behind the show want to keep it going.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 3, 2022

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Does anyone have a link to an actual announcement saying Netflix intends to stop hosting animated shows on their platform?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slashrat posted:

Does anyone have a link to an actual announcement saying Netflix intends to stop hosting animated shows on their platform?

https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix-is-slashing-animation-amid-subscriber-drops

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah Netflix had a really bad last financial quarter (cause their content strategy is a shambles and has been for years), they really need to move away from greenlighting a gazillion things that all have niche appeal

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
unless it's my niche appeal

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rarity posted:

Yeah Netflix had a really bad last financial quarter (cause their content strategy is a shambles and has been for years), they really need to move away from greenlighting a gazillion things that all have niche appeal

There's been interesting articles out talking about the culture inside Netflix and how there've been essentially two people you could go to to get stuff greenlit, so it was a very "Mom said no, ask Dad" situation.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Arcane should probably be exempt as it was a worldwide success and their most critically acclaimed original since like The Good Place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lid posted:

Arcane should probably be exempt as it was a worldwide success and their most critically acclaimed original since like The Good Place.

And also because neither were Netflix originals -- they were both broadcast acquisitions IIRC.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I mean even if Netflix did decide to ditch Arcane, which they won't, any other streaming service with half a brain would scoop them right up. Or hell they could just sell the show digitally themselves, they don't need Netflix.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I mean even if Netflix did decide to ditch Arcane, which they won't, any other streaming service with half a brain would scoop them right up. Or hell they could just sell the show digitally themselves, they don't need Netflix.

Isn't this what they're looking into? I heard Riot was planning on stepping up in house production on original narrative material, so I assumed that this was their plan.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

And also because neither were Netflix originals -- they were both broadcast acquisitions IIRC.

Yeah. Fortiche is the studio that made Arcane with Riot funding the costs. Netflix wasn't heavily involved in the making at all so Riot can just pick another distributor if Netflix lost interest in Season 2 or whatever.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 11, 2022

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't this what they're looking into? I heard Riot was planning on stepping up in house production on original narrative material, so I assumed that this was their plan.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/riot-games-hires-netflix-hbo-max-paramount-execs-entertainment-division-1235015453/

Riot hired people from netflix/hbo max/paramount to run up an entirely new division so I think they are looking into that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

https://www.destructoid.com/league-of-legends-arcane-series-emmy-nominations-outstanding-animated-series/

Arcane better win all the drat awards. I mean, I loving love Rick and Morty, but this thing was on a whole different level, especially technically.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Phenotype posted:

https://www.destructoid.com/league-of-legends-arcane-series-emmy-nominations-outstanding-animated-series/

Arcane better win all the drat awards. I mean, I loving love Rick and Morty, but this thing was on a whole different level, especially technically.

I still think Arcane is the best LOOKING animated anything I've ever seen. I'm not saying it's the best show/movie I've ever watched, but I don't personally think there's anything out there right now that is as good from an animation standpoint. Any other animated thing winning over Arcane will be outrages

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Surprised it's episode 6 specifically that's nominated, rather than 3. It's a good episode, but I think most regard 3 as better, if not the best.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I can't decide if Ep.3 or Ep.9 is my favorite but it's definitely a tossup between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Doing a bit necromancy to let people know that the first part of a docuseries on the making of Arcane is up on YouTube.