Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh hell yeah.

I still believe Arcane is the best looking animated anything that has been made so far and I'm basically gonna be watching any animated movie thinking "this looks good but not AS good as Arcane" for quite a while I think. Like Encanto looks good. The new Spiderverse is obviously gonna look amazing. But Arcane is on another level that I don't think any movie is gonna be able to reach for me for a while

edit: quoting for the new page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

That jibaro short film from love death and robots also looks extremely good. But its animation style is very different from that of Arcane, much more reliant on things like motion capture. In the "cartoony" category of animation, Arcane is by far the best I've seen.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

TONY MEATBALLS posted:

I'm just absolutely loving bewildered and delighted that this exists and somehow is way better than it has any right to be

agreed with the entirety of your post, but this especially i think is the perfect way to describe it. my friend recommended i watch it and he was gushing over it but i wasn't really expecting much cause i never played LoL, but it turned out to be pleasantly surprising.

and for everyone worried if this'll get another season, i think you could rest easy. it may not appear on netflix, but to see the series continue is probably a safe a bet as is humanly possible at this point.

Macaluso posted:

I still think Arcane is the best LOOKING animated anything I've ever seen. I'm not saying it's the best show/movie I've ever watched, but I don't personally think there's anything out there right now that is as good from an animation standpoint. Any other animated thing winning over Arcane will be outrages

for a T.V. series? absolutely. i don't think anything compares. MAYBE the closest thing might be Clone Wars?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I personally don't think there's animated movie that compares either. They set a pretty high bar IMO.

Also they did announce another seasons is happening but it's gonna be a long ways off

I'm excited to see a werewolf in this show's animation

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 7, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a lot of champions out there who it would be awesome to see animated in their style. For my money they could start with Kai'Sa and maybe give her a slightly less silly design.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
MAGICAL GIRL SHOW WEN

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only animated thing I've seen that compares is Spiderverse.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pidan posted:

That jibaro short film from love death and robots also looks extremely good. But its animation style is very different from that of Arcane, much more reliant on things like motion capture. In the "cartoony" category of animation, Arcane is by far the best I've seen.

Jibaro is actually not motion captured.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Jibaro is actually not motion captured.

Maybe I used the wrong word, but according to the making of video it's very closely based on recorded movements by human actors and dancers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeUuk-g_Qws

And the character designs and environments are pretty naturalistic overall, so that's quite different from Arcane. Well, and it's like 10 minutes long instead of 6 hours.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pidan posted:

Maybe I used the wrong word, but according to the making of video it's very closely based on recorded movements by human actors and dancers:

So is basically every animated movie or show, including Aracane:
https://www.reddit.com/r/arcane/comments/tr2oq0/spoilers_ep8_hilarious_behind_the_scenes/

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

That's not the same thing!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I am creeped out by the animation in that video, I do not like it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pidan posted:

Generally speaking, "motion capture" is when specialized technology is used to capture and translate human movement directly into 3D movement, which is why, say, Andy Serkis has to wear the weird blue suit with the dots on it when he's playing Gollum. Both Jibaro and Arcane are using motion reference, where footage is recorded in the same rough camera angles as your storyboards and then used by the animators to more closely match the key positions and movements by hand (that is, there's no direct transfer of the recorded movement into the computer). Back in the days of traditional animation, this was known as rotoscoping, and it was a key tool for moving animation from stiff and lifeless puppets into more realistic and believable forms.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Part two of the making of has been up for a few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpPyPguzafU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd1rOtu4SMI

Part 3 is out as well, and it looks like part four will cover the music. From watching part 3, i can only really say that my jaw dropped. I had no insight into the workings of animation, but still assumed it must have been a huge effort based on the result.

But how much of an effort is covered really well in the latest bit. I had absolutely no idea of the scale and complexity.

Also, looks like arcane already brought home three Emmys

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/emmys-2022-juried-winners-1235197238/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Part 4 is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-MtIYImERI

And we find out that Christian is also a legit rockstar. He might be... too powerful. Hopefully he stays interested in making good stories, instead of conquering the world.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Part 5 dropped yesterday.

To the list of all the things from Arcane where I had no idea of the scale, you can add the release, premieres, galas, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_dCEd5QRZg

Man, got real dusty in here in the last 6 minutes of the vid

huh

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Emmy Award Winning Arcane

https://deadline.com/2022/09/arcane-becomes-first-streaming-show-win-animated-emmy-1235106732/

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Part 5 dropped yesterday.

To the list of all the things from Arcane where I had no idea of the scale, you can add the release, premieres, galas, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_dCEd5QRZg

Man, got real dusty in here in the last 6 minutes of the vid

huh

I was hoping there'd be a Season 2 tease at the end of this, but the little implication that the next season would be the end of the Piltover/Zaun story for now and later seasons would explore elsewhere in the setting is pretty much exactly what I wanted out of this show.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the big thing about the behind the scenes stuff is that we got information that riot withheld it's premier for a very long time to align with worlds AND by the time that they were dealing with the premier of season 1, that they were finishing the basics for season 2

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well that's good news for the wait until season 2 comes out

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its mentioned in the second episode that Season 1 was also put on hold for a long time because it wasn't really coming together and Riot's executives were getting cold feet. Obviously, that isn't going to happen this time. All in all, I'm optimistic for 2023 release.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Watched it over the long weekend with 2 friends, 1 who like me played League very heavily from 2010 to 2017ish with short bursts of playing since then and another who has been playing ARAMs for like a week and we all enjoyed it thoroughly. Gorgeous to look at, tons of easter eggs, well written and left us going "drat I hope x is in next season."

I hooted and hollered when Benzo was inspecting a Heart of Gold in his shop.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I came into it expecting to laugh at something as bad as The Super Mario Movie.
I didn't expect it would be the best video-game based TV show since The Super Mario bros Super Show.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/LeagueOfLeaks/status/1697542393514393656

Bump because Tencent announced at some shareholder meeting that Arcane Season 2 is coming Winter next year.

edit: also lol at my optimism that they'd release this in 2023.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 1, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah 2023 would probably be impossible with the strike

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Over a year away... drat I knew it was gonna take a while but that still feels so long :smith:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, the first season came out in 2021, so this is only half the time that season took to make, I guess.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They can take as long as they need to produce the best show they can in a sustainable manner, I don't mind.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that's my take, honestly earlier than I expected if it's gonna be as long as Season 1 was. One thing I hope is they keep it relatively centered on the core cast still, obviously I'm sure some new characters will get introduced, either from League or new ones like Silco, etc and that's fine, just feels Arcane should stay on Jinx and Vi, the city and the situation that's bubbling up, I also hope they don't do a time skip, it's a storytelling device that works sometimes but in this case I really want to see the immediate aftermath of the finale.

I'm just seeing a lot of people elsewhere saying that they hope Arcane season 1 was just the springboard and Season 2 is gonna be the more recent MCU style thing of delving into all the corners of the league world like hoping there's pov characters in Noxus or whatever. That feels like future differently named shows to me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah that's my take, honestly earlier than I expected if it's gonna be as long as Season 1 was. One thing I hope is they keep it relatively centered on the core cast still, obviously I'm sure some new characters will get introduced, either from League or new ones like Silco, etc and that's fine, just feels Arcane should stay on Jinx and Vi, the city and the situation that's bubbling up, I also hope they don't do a time skip, it's a storytelling device that works sometimes but in this case I really want to see the immediate aftermath of the finale.

I'm just seeing a lot of people elsewhere saying that they hope Arcane season 1 was just the springboard and Season 2 is gonna be the more recent MCU style thing of delving into all the corners of the league world like hoping there's pov characters in Noxus or whatever. That feels like future differently named shows to me.

There's so many really cool characters in League I think it'd be a waste for Arcane not to eventually branch off from Piltover, but for season 2 at least, there's a zero percent chance the next season doesn't pick up immediately after the the final shot of last episode. I think werewolves are cool as hell so I'm very excited to see Warwick animated by the Arcane studio. I am curious what other characters they could bring in though. Ziggs can show up and become BFFs with Jinx :buddy:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The biggest mistake any multimedia property can do is trying to go too broad in scope *waves hands at the last 5 years of the MCU* The best thing they can do is keep Arcane as a tight focused story with a complete ending and if they want to explore somewhere else in the world then branch off there afterwards.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I sort of assumed the focus was going to move to Noxus, with all the setup they were doing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They've outright said Arcane is about Piltover and Zaun. Noxus gets to be included as an external foreign power/threat/influence.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

kliras posted:

yeah 2023 would probably be impossible with the strike

The showrunners had already said it wasn't coming out this year before the strike happened. I'm actually kind of curious how the strike would affect Arcane's production, if at all. Netflix isn't actually making the show, just platforming it, so I'd assume the actors' and writers' contracts are being handled entirely by Riot.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Megazver posted:

They can take as long as they need to produce the best show they can in a sustainable manner, I don't mind.

Agreed, even if the wait is killing me. The sequel to the best animated media ever made can take as long as it drat well pleases if we get something of the same quality again.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

1stGear posted:

The showrunners had already said it wasn't coming out this year before the strike happened. I'm actually kind of curious how the strike would affect Arcane's production, if at all. Netflix isn't actually making the show, just platforming it, so I'd assume the actors' and writers' contracts are being handled entirely by Riot.

It looks like the senior creatives are existing Riot employees who first worked on the game, so I would guess they aren't already union? But most of the writing credits also have other people brought in and I'd imagine they are.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Fajita Queen posted:

Agreed, even if the wait is killing me. The sequel to the best animated media ever made can take as long as it drat well pleases if we get something of the same quality again.

dragon ball super already exists

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Flappy Bert posted:

It looks like the senior creatives are existing Riot employees who first worked on the game, so I would guess they aren't already union? But most of the writing credits also have other people brought in and I'd imagine they are.

Well Fortiche is a French studio, so if they handle everything there I can't see why a US labor conflict would have any major affect .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Writing was likely completed prior to the strike, barring rewrites, VA work might be derailed - Hailee Stenfield is certainly in SAG, depends how contracts are arranged