Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I keep forgetting to participate in these secret santas even though they are a lot of fun.

What I like:

Generally speaking, I would like to think I’m easy to shop for. I like practical things, in general. Like, now that I’m almost 33 :barf:

I enjoy fun socks, I enjoy videogames, I like tea, coffee. I would say I’m very left leaning, but don’t align with any mainstream groups exactly. I like Sci-Fi more than I like Fantasy, but I don’t particularly enjoy like, no offense, “SyFy” B-level stuff. I used to read a lot, but mostly just do audiobooks, because I can paint minis while I listen to them. I enjoy anime but barely watch it anymore, and have been dying to do D&D stuff, and just started a Pathfinder campaign and super happy about that with some goons.

I like music, usually metal, and I have an electric guitar (technically two, one’s my grandfather’s), a Ukulele, two Harmonicas, a recorder, a (non-zelda) orcarina, and a kalimba. I am not especially good at any of them, and wish I was better, but it’s hard to stay motivated and keep my attention/focus on something like playing an instrument if I’m not feeling like I’m constantly making observable progress. Maybe I just need someone’s constant criticism? I want to get a guitar pedal like https://www.electrofoods.space/nepenthes, but it’s very expensive for someone who barely knows some basic chords, but it would mean I could make my guitar do funny sounds and record it and learn how to do some post-rock/drone/sludge music (I’m sure someone is going to :argh: at not knowing more before getting a pedal, and I’d agree, but I’d make the argument that coercing yourself to spend more time by doing the stuff you want, is beneficial to learning since you’re spending more time with it). I’ve tried rockband/fender play and haven’t spent as much time on it anymore because it some of the chords keep kicking my rear end.

I like photography and have a nice camera, but I haven’t had the chance to spend as much time on it as I’d like. I also don’t know as much about photography, other than some basics like rule of thirds, and fiddling around with filters in lightroom afterwards. On a similar topic, I’m wanting to do more artistic things, whether with digital or traditional media, but just need to practice more.

I totally have been bit by the wargaming bug, in that I wish I had the money for all these cool wargaming things, but don’t have the money for most of them. Right now I’m focusing on Warhammer 40k Necrons and Ultramarines, but maybe one day I’ll be able to get some Sisters of Battle minis. I also bought the “Dominion” box of Age of Sigmar, because it was a good deal, but I think instead of focusing on building either army in the box (Orruk Warclans & Stormcast Eternals), I want to get some Ossiarch Bonereapers (coming from a necron owner, I realize that’s not very different, but skeleton stuff is cool). I want to get some stuff from Warmachine (played it once at a convention years ago), Star Wars Legions (star wars minis? sounds fun!), Fallout Wasteland Warfare (got the core box of this for my birthday, haven’t had the chance to play it yet, but I’d probably go for NCR faction first). I think for now I have enough paints, and I have bunches of art supplies, I suppose you can never go wrong with any “good” decent brushes. Most of my paint brushes are extremely cheap brushes in a pack, so eventually I want to upgrade to some good brushes so I’m not frustrated with the brushes I have after a few uses.

I also have been lucky to have the chance to rope my coworkers into playing boardgames with me, so we do that sometimes, but for other times, I have been interested in solo games. I have a few already (I try to keep my BGG profile updated…) but I’ll try whatever. It’s hard to not scour miniaturemarket.com for some cheap $5 board game to try, even if it might not be reviewed well. I have plenty of videogames, so I’m not sure videogames are a good choice, I don’t play them much anymore, mostly because I’ve run out of functional time during the day to actually play them, but, I’ve been eyeing Rimworld for a good long time, but it’s a bit outside of my impulse buy range, and I’m not even entirely sure I’m going to like it or not, having never played a game like dwarf fortress before. I tend to like turn-based RPGs, or somewhat relaxed strategy games. Age of Empires/Rise of Nations are always good games to play, though I haven’t played them in quite some time. I also don’t mind visual novels like Ace Attorney.

I have also been wanting to try and learn programming stuff to “level up” as it were, at work, or use it as an excuse to branch out into something useful like game development or whatever. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what I want to learn there, but it sounds like maybe Python? A means to an ends as foundation to do the thing I feel like I might rather be doing.

Anyways, that was a lot of words, but I’m sure that should give anyone plenty of ideas of what to work with, I’m not super picky. The above was a list of things I like, most of the stuff I dislike is just “people who are mean/cruel” and “brussel sprouts” and even for that last one it’s not a hard-no, just a :colbert:

Northeast coast, USA

Promise:

No one wants to be Grinched, so I promise not to do that. I’ll promise to do my best to come up with something nice for a secret santa.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Gvaz

I don’t really keep wishlists very well organized, but I do keep that up to date above best I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Orders have been placed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'll do one more, and take the last spot in the lighting round, if no one minds. If we have technically reached 8 then I'll wait until next time.

I'll edit this a few minutes with a more concise wishlist than before, if I can.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What I love:

RPGs, D&D/pathfinder/starfinder? (haven't played starfinder ever, but want to), scifi, cyberpunk stuff, post-apoc, The Matrix, strategy games, books, music instruments (guitar, ukulele, kalimba), minis, deck builder games (hero realms, star realms, epic, GoT card game, Netrunner card game, etc), star wars, beer, reeses candy, twix, photography, wargaming, board games of all type, even if they might be goofy or not super great (fun board game that isn't super well received but is cheap? go for it). Solo boardgames (or games that can be played solo) are interesting too. Oh metal bands, metalcore, etc. Anime is cool but I don't watch as much of it anymore. I only recently watched Demon Slayer and am about half finished with Jujutsu Kaisen.

I'm interested in getting more stuff for Star Wars Legions, and Fallout Wasteland Warfare. Star Wars Legions I already have:
Rebel Trooper Upgrades
Rebel Troopers
Sabine Wren
Cassian & K-2SO

Wasteland Warfare I only have the core set, prefer NCR guys, but won't complain if it's some other faction.

I have the Age of Sigmar Dominion box, but wanna get some cool skeleton Ossiarch Bonereapers instead, of which I have zero of.

Oh, Sisters of Battle is something I want, I am wringing my wallet to try and find the funds for the upcoming sisters battlebox, since I also have zero sisters.

Skeleton related things are cool, I have a cast iron skull nailed to my wall that is also a bottle opener.

What I'm okay with:

Marvel things, I prefer Dr. Strange from the MCU, everyone else I'm kind of tepid on. Fantasy is okay. I like Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones. Eventually I want to read some Wheel of Time and Kingkiller books, those were pretty popular. Not big into Zombies, but it's okay.

What probably "may" not be a good idea:

Digital games, as I already have a massive backlog on steam and elsewhere, anything listed in the BGG profile as owned, and I re-reviewed the wish list and that's fine, though I don't wishlist a lot of things...

I have a lot of Warhammer minis already, but I made a list here of what I own:

I don't play MTG anymore, I just can't keep up with the random booster packs.

I don't generally play stereotypical puzzle games, but commemorative puzzles would be okay (like a Witcher puzzle or something).

I have lots of traditional art supplies already, but some decent brushes for miniatures might be swell, since most of mine are dollar store types.

Coloring books are okay, but I already have some that are unfinished I should probably drag to work.

Northeast coast, USA

Promise:

You no get-Grinchy!

More or less Up-to-Date:

I think that's about it. I'm open to any clarifications or specific questions if you want more details.

edit: that didn't end up being shorter :pants:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 25, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I also spent about $60~ already, whoopsie!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Base round gift 1 has a tracking number, but no details. Not sure where exactly it's shipping from, but will update later. (no gift wrap options were available) Base Round gift 2 has no tracking number, but it estimates it'll be delivered the 3rd of December. I may have forgotten to gift wrap it, sorry.

Going out to get Lightning Round cheer shortly, I have an idea. I wont be able to ship it till tomorrow though, but, I'm guesstimating (I have no idea right now) that also may get there around the 3rd, or so.

edit: got the gifts I want for Lightning Round cheer, will send it tomorrow.

edit2: base round gift 1 now has an ETA of monday

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 27, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lightning round cheer is deployed. They gave an eta of probably Tuesday or so (2 day was about the same as 6 day)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure which round this was from, but thanks DigitalRaven!

I had in fact been thinking of buying this myself, since I like Cthulhu (still haven't finished the Necronomicon, but I guess I should do so soon) but kept wringing my hands about it because dang Fantasy Flight and their piles of expansions that are all nice to have.

Incidentally, I keep trying to get my significant other to play board games with me, and she said she was interested in playing this one, so even better!

And it has a solo mode? :nice:

Thank you again!

edit: as an aside, I'll skip bonus round 2, but I *may* be interested in doing bonus round 3, but it's up in the air for now.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 29, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Base cheer out for delivery! Second half is still Dec 2/3, no tracking.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure who sent it but this came in today!

Thanks mystery goon!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

thegodofchuck posted:

I received a small box tucked in my door

obviously from Santa #2!

inside was a poor tree, chopped to pieces and put into plastic, clearly a sign of our encroachment upon nature.

I made my amends to nature and reassembled this Spirit of the Forest.

Thank you Santa #2 for allowing this holiday miracle.

I’m glad you like it! You should be receiving the other parts of my gifts now (says delivered). One part of it may not make sense, but once your other gifts come in from us, it should be obvious :)

I’m glad that Reaper actually wrote something on the package, because there wasn’t any gift options lol

Kwyndig posted:

It was me, I was the turkey the whole time. Hope you have fun painting those guys!

Also sorry about the lack of labeling, Amazon didn't give me gift options this year.

That's okay! I'm just excited to have more stuff to play with.

Wrr posted:

Oh drat, I forgot I liked those dudes. Should have mentioned that and needing figures for Zona Alfa in my post

The only comment I'd make is the models themselves are a little messier than I expected, coming from GW. Not sure why, though it's not a big deal.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 1, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I saw it after the fact, I wanted to make sure one of you guys ended up at least considering it. I thought it was super cool

edit: I hope my LR santee gets their gifts soon, I mailed it a week ago and it should be there by now, since I got 2 day and shipped it about a week ago... (unfortunately I can't find the tracking number cause the darn USPS guy gave me the receipt before I could email it to myself and now can't find the darn paper) :ohdear:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 3, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Is there going to be a lightning round 3?

At least 1 person has signed up for lightning round 3 atm

it'd technically be 3 people but Leperflesh put 2 of them in to round 2

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I found my tracking # and it says:

edit: sneaky sneak

Giftee hasn't posted about it in the thread yet tho

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 3, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Bloop posted:

A box arrives!

Inside is a bounty of cutely wrapped parcels

Weird minis! Crazy dice! EXCELLENT

And a lovely pouch for the crazy dice!

THANK YOU SANTA

Now I see it was ME that GreenBuckanneer was concerned about getting their gift - I was away at a work conference for 3 days and this was a very nice thing to come home to. Much thanks, I love it!

I'm glad you liked it. As soon as I read the crazy dice, I thought of those then ran out and bought it from my LGS. The minis were super cool, honestly I like the noodly Boi on the right there the most. I saw these too, but I couldn't afford it at the time:

Sharing it for inspiration

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Do you have the name of those dice? They're awesome.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/polyherodice/polyhero-dice-rogue-set

The LGS had them in other colors but I liked the two tone I got them the most

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tekopo posted:

(also you either are in my FC or you did a really deep dive in the FFXIV thread, but either way, incredible)

Wasn't me, but I think they probably just did post history and filtered by posts you made in the thread, then went to most recent. It looks like a really good rendition too!

In a more on topic question: where are we at for LR3 signups?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress it, lets do it. Sign me up for LR3.

quote:

What I love:

RPGs, D&D/pathfinder/starfinder? (haven't played starfinder ever, but want to), scifi, cyberpunk stuff, post-apoc, The Matrix, strategy games, books, music instruments (guitar, ukulele, kalimba), minis, deck builder games (hero realms, star realms, epic, GoT card game, Netrunner card game, etc), star wars, beer, reeses candy, twix, photography, wargaming, board games of all type, even if they might be goofy or not super great (fun board game that isn't super well received but is cheap? go for it). Solo boardgames (or games that can be played solo) are interesting too. Oh metal bands, metalcore, etc. Anime is cool but I don't watch as much of it anymore. I only recently watched Demon Slayer and am about half finished with Jujutsu Kaisen.

I'm interested in getting more stuff for Star Wars Legions, and Fallout Wasteland Warfare. Star Wars Legions I already have:
Rebel Trooper Upgrades
Rebel Troopers
Sabine Wren
Cassian & K-2SO
1/2 of a Core set

Wasteland Warfare I only have the core set, prefer NCR guys, but won't complain if it's some other faction. EDIT: see previous gift, I got the Ranger Patrol box from Santa

I have the Age of Sigmar Dominion box, but wanna get some cool skeleton Ossiarch Bonereapers instead, of which I have zero of.

Oh, Sisters of Battle is something I want, I am wringing my wallet to try and find the funds for the upcoming sisters battlebox, since I also have zero sisters. EDIT: I now own Palatine & Celestine, and likely this upcoming battleforge box

Skeleton related things are cool, I have a cast iron skull nailed to my wall that is also a bottle opener.

What I'm okay with:

Marvel things, I prefer Dr. Strange from the MCU, everyone else I'm kind of tepid on. Fantasy is okay. I like Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones. Eventually I want to read some Wheel of Time and Kingkiller books, those were pretty popular. Not big into Zombies, but it's okay.

Digital games, as I already have a massive backlog on steam and elsewhere, anything listed in the BGG profile as owned, and I re-reviewed the wish list and that's fine, though I don't wishlist a lot of things...

I don't generally play stereotypical puzzle games, but commemorative puzzles would be okay (like a Witcher puzzle or something).

I have lots of traditional art supplies already, but some decent brushes for miniatures might be swell, since most of mine are dollar store types.

Coloring books are okay, but I already have some that are unfinished I should probably drag to work.

Northeast coast, USA

Promise:

You no get-Grinchy!

More or less Up-to-Date:

I think that's about it. I'm open to any clarifications or specific questions if you want more details.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Holy shiz we're at 6/8 for LR4 already? :sax:

EDIT 7/8!

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 6, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm waiting on my fellow Santas to reach back out to me regarding their gifts, before I go ahead with my purchases...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am still waiting on the other (third) Santa to get back to me on what they got my Cheer Target, but it seems like I’m going to just go ahead with purchasing them and cross my fingers there isn’t an overlap to try and ensure we hit the december 22nd target. Will update in a few once I’ve purchased.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LR3 Cheer Deployed, with a Dec 12 ETA. I forgot to mark it for gift wrapped :cripes:

Since we seem? to be almost at LR4, I'll go again to make it 8 signups

quote:

What I love:

RPGs, D&D/pathfinder/starfinder? (haven't played starfinder ever, but want to), scifi, cyberpunk stuff (maybe cyberpunk rpg minis?), post-apoc, The Matrix, strategy games, books, music instruments (guitar, ukulele, kalimba), minis, deck builder games (hero realms, star realms, epic, GoT card game, Netrunner card game, etc), star wars, beer, reeses candy, twix, photography, wargaming, board games of all type, even if they might be goofy or not super great (fun board game that isn't super well received but is cheap? go for it). Solo boardgames (or games that can be played solo) are interesting too. Oh metal bands, metalcore, etc. Anime is cool but I don't watch as much of it anymore. I only recently watched Demon Slayer and am about half finished with Jujutsu Kaisen.

Rebel Trooper Upgrades
Rebel Troopers
Sabine Wren
Cassian & K-2SO
1/2 of a Core set

Wasteland Warfare I only have the core set, prefer NCR guys, but won't complain if it's some other faction.
EDIT: see previous gift, I got the Ranger Patrol box from Santa
EDIT2: maybe this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/652258081/fallout-wasteland-warfare-dice-box

Oh, Sisters of Battle is something I want, I am wringing my wallet to try and find the funds for the upcoming sisters battlebox, since I also have zero sisters. EDIT: I now own Palatine & Celestine, and likely this upcoming battleforge box

What I'm okay with:

Northeast coast, USA

Promise:

You no get-Grinchy!

More or less Up-to-Date:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 8, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Waiting for response from other Santa before pulling the trigger

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BRB changing my name to Sam 😅

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

No response from other Santa for LR4, sent out gifts anyways! I’m excited about one of them, wasn’t free shipping and I paid a little more to make sure it can (try) to get there before the 21st.

EDIT:

Santa got back to me, no overlap. Woohoo!

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 10, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's 8 for LR5? :perfect:

rydiafan posted:

Holiday cheer has arrived, accompanied by the sounds of the dogs enthusiastically greeting/threatening the mail carrier.

John Carter source books! I've gotten super into reading Modiphius 2D20 source books as a way to entertain/torture myself for the last year and a half. Nothing like picking up a new hobby that you can't do because of a pandemic lockdown. I finished reading all of the Dune and Conan books, so John Carter gets to be my next obsession!

Flipping through them I came across this section, and it tickled my fancy for some reason. Just thought I'd share it in case other people would find it similarly interesting.

Thank you so much, secret gift giver! There was no note in the package, but this is almost certainly from my lightning round 4 Santa, as John Carter wasn't listed as a gift idea until then.

This was from me LR3! I was trying to play it safe since the information had changed. I also didn't know if you had the core book that they had so I tried to play it safe there too. It seems there is a few more various books and things I wasn't sure if you had or not already.

I had initially wanted to get you the miniatures the company has for it, but that website was out of the EU and it may not have got there in time. Mophidius had another american-based website, but that website didn't have any of the minis in stock. Very frustrating. I wanted to get you the third book that goes with this, but I couldn't find it on amazon at the time so I went with that.

I thought I had marked it as me but I guess I forgot :negative:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 11, 2021

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's a bonemas miracle! :black101:

Thanks Bone Lord, Lord of Bones!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thank you Chekans316!

I love the bony Boi and I love the book! I'll start reading this tomorrow 😍

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

I totally missed this post. That was me. :v:

Hope you like them! I have no drat clue what's what in AoS.

Neither do I! I just wanted skeleton and to use them vs my friend's orks or stormcasts (fantasy orcs or space marines)

Seems they're useful as heck too

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't want to say too much, so I'll just say that there's more coming in for Chuck, and once that comes in, it should be obvious. We're still waiting on that however

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally, I've been sitting on that pun for what feels like forever without being able to say 😂

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

L4 says both packages are delivered today, that should be everything from me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Santa DE-FUCKIN-LIVERED today

I heard a tippy tap from my front porch and found two boxes waiting for me.

The first one was from GreenBuckanear and contained this cool Chewbacca Mug and some terrain bits.

Super cool especially because I used to have a similar chewie bug that got broken during a move.

A Chewbacca gig poster, also from GreenBuckanear! I don't know if you were aware but I adore gig posters and this one is a piece of art.

Thank you to both my Santa's the force has been with me this Life Day.

You are very welcome. You mentioned you had an office, and what better than to relax and read the forums while sipping [BEVERAGE] from your Chewy Mug? The terrain was the same situation, can never go wrong with some extra terrain bits.

Then as I’m scrolling around I saw that poster and knew I had to get it for you, hell, I was tempted to get it for myself, and I’m not even a big Chewy friend, just because it was cool.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nemesis is a $150 msrp miniatures game with $40-70 expansions, so it's a little expensive? That's yet another game I've been thinking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

Oops, I almost forgot to post this entirely. My bad!

Got the second half of this package late, and then forgot. :v:

Got lost in the new-job shuffle. Looking forward to reading these!

The audiobook of these is voiced by the same actor who does Kevin in Welcome to Night Vale. It's a really great series. That's my peanut gallery comment