Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters character?
This poll is closed.
Yugi Muto / Yami Yugi 6 5.94%
Seto Kaiba 36 35.64%
Joey Wheeler 14 13.86%
Mai Valentine 8 7.92%
Bakura Ryou / Yami Bakura 3 2.97%
Maximillian Pegasus 19 18.81%
Marik Ishtar / Yami Marik 4 3.96%
Someone else 11 10.89%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
when I just want a boy to notice me in the club

e: misread that as hitsonme Giant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Boba Pearl posted:

when I just want a boy to notice me in the club

e: misread that as hitsonme Giant

And Block Attack for when he gets too feisty

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And Block Attack for when he gets too feisty
But you can summon his Crawling Dragon if he's just feisty enough.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If so he'd be let in the

and god willing hit the

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Boba, you're the best, you're such a

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

early Yu-Gi-Oh monsters sucked so much

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Welp, I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! since GX was current but you've made me give this a try.

Just need to wrap my head around this Pendulum poo poo.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

early Yu-Gi-Oh monsters sucked so much

Speaking of old cards:

Why is Dark Witch a Light type and a Fairy instead of a Spellcaster?

And of course the same goes for it's pseudo-remake version?

Now I'm trying to think of what other cards made no sense like this.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Odd Wilson posted:

Why is Dark Witch a Light type and a Fairy instead of a Spellcaster?
Her actual name is Valkyrie in JP.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Nyaa posted:

Her actual name is Valkyrie in JP.

Well, that makes sense now.

Now I'm just wondering why they changed it from that.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 11, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Presumably so she wouldn't come under the benefits of the Valkyrie archetype cards?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Old Yu-Gi-Oh card time? hell yeah

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Odd Wilson posted:

Well, that makes sense now.

Now I'm just wondering why they changed it from that.

YGO translations, in both anime and the cards themselves, have been historically completely loving awful and caused a lot of issues with rulings due to changing things entirely because they felt like it. This is just one of many examples of it.

Natural 20 posted:

Presumably so she wouldn't come under the benefits of the Valkyrie archetype cards?

The cards that wouldn't exist until several years later?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

-
Remember these Pegasus Cards

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 11, 2021

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

This good boy got me my first and only win by surrender when I was like 12 or 13.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

2950 atk is just too insulting…

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aren't these cards still used as a basis for a stall deck?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Seraphic Neoman posted:

The game has advanced to the point where a Thousand-Eyes Restrict isn't too difficult to get rid of any more, but once upon a time, getting one on the field was basically an instant win, and it spent years banned because of that.

Quick show of hands. I'm thinking about giving names to the songs in this game aside from just "[Character] Theme" over and over again, usually taken from one of the character's "I'm winning" or "I won" voice lines (such as Defeat Is Your Only Option for Kaiba). None of the BGM in this game has official names, but I feel like it might be a bit too much artistic liberty. Thoughts?

Edit: Too late, already doing it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 12, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Name it with a random quote from the character everytime you post it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I was just posting some old cards, I have no idea if any old cards are still good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

I was just posting some old cards, I have no idea if any old cards are still good.
Unfortunately, no. This is what the best Fusion monster in the physical card game looks like now:

And even it's considered overhyped by some.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The current meta is just a lot of cards getting mass summon and mass remove from the field all in one turn, so card that’s immune to getting kick out easily are trump card in its own right.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The current game is so different than the good old day, Chaos Emperor Dragon is now unlimited

Lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The current game is so different than the good old day, Chaos Emperor Dragon is now unlimited
They actually errata'd and nerfed Chaos Emperor Dragon before unbanning it. It's literally not as good as it used to be. They've done the same thing with a bunch of other previously-banned cards like Sinister Serpent, Sangan, and Ring of Destruction.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 12, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

girl dick energy posted:

They actually errata'd and nerfed Chaos Emperor Dragon
Only took five attempts. :classiclol:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

girl dick energy posted:

Unfortunately, no. This is what the best Fusion monster in the physical card game looks like now:

And even it's considered overhyped by some.

Would Relinquished or Restrict be considered useful in some modern decks?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Technically, yes. There are ways to bring Restrict for cheap and use his monster steal effect( with instant fusion) and can force the opponent to use a negation early. But it's a tech cad splashed in decks. Actual focus on main deck relinquished, even with the new support, is not really viable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

JamMasterJim posted:

Technically, yes. There are ways to bring Restrict for cheap and use his monster steal effect( with instant fusion) and can force the opponent to use a negation early. But it's a tech cad splashed in decks. Actual focus on main deck relinquished, even with the new support, is not really viable.

They made an improved version that's still good enough to be worth ~$20, if that counts.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They added a couple supports cards to turn it into the Eyes Restrict Archetype.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

girl dick energy posted:

They made an improved version that's still good enough to be worth ~$20, if that counts.

Using my limited knowledge of Yu-Gi-Oh. The new version of Restrict seems to have a weaker effect then normal Restrict. Namely no preventing other monsters from changing position or attacking.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Battle Position changing is, 9 times out of 10, irrelevant. Battle stun can actually be kind of relevant as shown by Mystic Mine, but the primary use of Milennium-Eyes is, because he steals enemy monsters in a chain, they'll be equipped as the effect resolves, and thus, be negated by its effect.

The old Relinquished and TER have some use in a build that uses Kaijus, but even that revolves around removing and re-summoning Relinquished as many times as possible.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It does prevent Flip Summon, so it's a nice way to 'eat' up unknown monster. :chef:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Or, in layman's terms: Thousand-Eyes Restrict stops your opponent from doing things. Millennium-Eyes Restrict interrupts your opponent trying to do things, and the latter is much more difficult to play around.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Episode DM-02: Joey's Bringin' Da Boom!

In our first mechanical update, I talked about how to play, how to use Normal Monsters, and how to bully nerds with cyclopes and dragons.

Now we're going to talk about what we get for doing so. When you win a duel, you earn character-specific Experience. Rewards for leveling characters includes new cards, character Skills (which we can't use yet), and Gems, the freemium currency I'll talk about once the game slaps me in the face with its capitalism dick in a couple of updates.

In addition to XP, you also receive a Duel Assessment score, granting bonus points for things like winning quickly, performing certain actions, or winning without taking damage. For every 1000 points, you get one drop, to a maximum of eight. These drops can include Keys, which you spend to fight special NPCs, Gold, used for crafting new cards, and, of course, Cards themselves.

Low-level duelists, both Standard and named (called 'Legendary Duelists') very large pool of cards they can drop, and most of it's chaff, or useful only in the very early game. But their drop tables get more focused on the good stuff at higher levels, and even the garbage cards can still be broken down into crafting materials, once we unlock that mechanic.

You also still receive XP and drops when you lose, typically half of what you'd get for winning.

♫ Welcome to Duel World ♫

Just as important as the drops, if not moreso, winning duels is also how you complete quests, called Missions. Not only do these also grant rewards like gems and cards, completing all the missions for a Stage advances you to the next Stage. The maximum Stage is 50, the end goal of the single-player campaign, and as we advance towards that goal, we'll unlock more characters, fight stronger opponents, and even gain access to entirely new mechanics like crafting and PVP.

And hey, wouldn't you know it, it looks like we've unlocked something already! Or, rather, someone.

The camera zooms in on a gear-shaped portal, and Joey's portrait slides on-screen in a flash of white like a low-budget visual novel.

Whoaaa!! Ouch... If ya transport me again before I'm ready, I'll pummel your processors!

The game generally presents the in-universe Duel Links/Duel World like a VR MMO, but it's never made quite clear just what the interface is like, no one ever seems to log out, and the Yu-Gi-Oh cast does have an interesting history with virtual realities...

And dat means I'll feel right at home when I try ta become the Duel World King! So all you other Duelists betta watch out! Cuz Joey Wheeler is comin'!

But I can't believe Kaiba didn't send me a personal invite... I'll show him!

As someone who dabbles in actual competitive play, I'm with Joey on this one. The man was a finalist at both Duelist Kingdom and Battle City, which were international tournaments, including documented wins against well-known, established professionals.

Joey Wheeler has been robbed of what should rightfully be a reputation as one of the best Duelists in the world, and in this essay I will

Oh! Right, the Gate. Let's talk about the Gate.

That big gear shape in the back by the fountain is the Gate, and it's where we'll be doing most of our important duels, spending the Keys we get from fighting Standard Duelists.

This is also the point when I decide to just bite the bullet and play the game at a smaller native resolution to save myself work resizing them and some hard drive space on the thousands of screenshots I will be taking over the course of this LP. The choppiness of some of the sprites isn't an error on my end, the game just looks like that at smaller resolutions.

C'mon! Show me what ya got! Or you ain't gettin' past me! Step right up so I can knock ya down!

... ... ... ...

(Hee hee hee! I bet my trash talk sent shivers down ya spine!)

God, I love Joey. :allears:

Every duel costs a certain amount of the generic gray keys, based on the opponent's level, as well as a smaller number of colored keys, based on the character. This system exists to encourage you to battle many different opponents, instead of just wailing on the same one over and over, and to frustrate you endlessly when you're trying to grind a character for one specific drop you really need.

Right now, we only have two opponents available, Kaiba (white keys) and Joey (red keys), and only at Level 10. Despite the extra zero, their monsters aren't much more threatening than Level 1s, but they do actually have Spells in their deck, at least.

On the right is the list of cards a Duelist can drop. I've drawn a box in red around Joey's unique drops, with the rest of them being the generic chaff common to all low-level duelists. You always have a chance of getting a character's rarest drops, but the higher the level, the better chance you have.

There are four card rarities, Normal, Rare, Super Rare, and Ultra Rare. Not every character even has UR drops, but for those that do, it's usually one of their signature cards. (Blue-Eyes is Kaiba's Ultra Rare drop, for example.)

Anyways, let's beat up Joey for our quest.

♫ I'm Bringin' Da Boom! ♫

Kaiba! It's time I put your stinkin' mug in its place!

Not yet he won't. Level 10 Joey's best monster is stronger than anything a Level 1 Duelist can throw at us, but not by much. And his Spells give him enough tricks to get in a cheap shot or two, but even Hitotsu-Me Giant is strong enough that he can't do anything against it.

And we have much stronger monsters than Hitotsu-Me Giant.

I call on Blue-Eyes White Dragon!

Blue-Eyes flies in front of the moon, then swoops down, lands, and roars. It's sick as hell and I really need to get around to setting up recording and video software again so I can show these off properly.

♫ The Winning Condition ♫

There are actually multiple ways to get one of these tracks to play, including when either you or your opponent summons one of your character's flagged 'ace monsters', one of you getting knocked below 1000 LP, or even just when the game thinks you can win the game this turn.

White Lightning!

Or, you know, all of the above at once.

The ONE Duelist I didn't wanna lose to! Argh! I'll never hear de end of dis!

Out-Dueling Joey Wheeler is no cause for celebration. I could've beaten him blindfolded.

Kaiba also reaches Level 3 and we get a couple of card drops, but nothing good enough to care about.

♫ Legendary Duelist Unlocked ♫

But dat doesn't mean I'm givin' up on my dream of bein' da Duel World King! I've never surrendered before, and I ain't startin' now!

When I duel, I always give it my all! And fightin' by my side is the one an' only... Red-Eyes Black Dragon!

And we've unlocked another playable character! Each character has their own separate Character Levels and deck slots, but we can swap freely between them without impacting our Stage, or the levels of the Standard Duelists we'll be fighting.

So, how does this 'sniveling puppy' measure up?

Joey Wheeler
The Duelist Joey Wheeler isn't afraid to face danger to help his friends, especially for his best bud Yugi. Always ready to take a chance, his cards often rely on luck. However, his go-to monster is the reliable "Red-Eyes Black Dragon."
Voiced By: Wayne Grayson (English), Hiroki Takahashi (Japanese)
Battle Theme: ♫ I'm Bringin' Da Boom! ♫

I'll say it up front. Compared to Yami or Kaiba, Joey doesn't have a lot that makes him immediately jump out. He looks, at first blush, like a pretty disappointing character. He doesn't get a Type-boosting skill like they do without the help of a (commonly repeated) weekly event, and almost all of his skills are shared with at least one other character (usually Tristan). Most of his drops and rewards are luck-dependent, finicky, or just not worth the effort, he doesn't have any UR drops, and even if he did, Red-Eyes Black Dragon definitely wouldn't be worth the effort.

So, what does he have going for him?

Well, getting him to Level 5 is the first and easiest source of Polymerization, a Spell card necessary to engage with an entire mechanic. Against certain decks, Alligator's Sword Dragon has a pretty decent chance of being able to fly over your opponent's monsters to attack them directly for more than a third of their LP. His midgame Skill, Reinforcements, despite not being unique, is significantly better than Yami's Sorcery Conduit (and is a pain in the rear end to get on Tristan anyways). And one of his Super Rare drops, Metalmorph, is very worth how slow and finicky it is. Even Alligator's Sword is pretty good for an early-game monster, a 1500 ATK beatstick that I'll get a copy of before Level 10. That one really sums up all of Joey's positive qualities: Pretty good for when you get them. And that's not nothing.

TL;DR: Joey's almost the opposite of Yami, an early-game workhorse who starts to lose his luster as we get more and better options.

Now that we've beaten Joey, we've completed all the missions for Stage 3, and we can move on to...

Ah, right. The game only downloads a lite version when you first start. Well, that's not such a big deal, it's a mobile game, right? How big could the

...ah.

Next Episode: An informational update I wrote up while waiting for this download.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 12, 2021

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I'll just go along and set this little card here- let me give you a little hint. Better be careful, cause this card's a Trap!

And it is most of the time.

Where Kaiba is full ham on being aggro, Joey is full ham on general overconfidence and remains pretty :allears: for me

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Coward, give us the full Joey essay :argh:

Really liking this so far. My god, gacha games can be LPed...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just wanna say, Joey's theme is a banger. If you haven't listened to it, I highly recommend it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Joey is the most talented duelist in the Duel monster series, Kaiba just netdecks with insanes amount of Cash, and Yugi literally cheats by summoning the best cards with egyptian magic. Joey is the only motherfucker who plays straight, doesn't cheat, and wins most of the time. When he loses it's normally to the netdeck nerd, or outright cheating, and he deserved to be the Duel Master Champion while Yugi just like, saved his grandpa or whatever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If it helps, the GX manga does consider him the third best duelist in the world, only behind Yugi and Kaiba.

This never comes up in the anime though and neither does Jonouchi, even though both of the other two appear in the series. Poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Blaze Dragon posted:

If it helps, the GX manga does consider him the third best duelist in the world, only behind Yugi and Kaiba.

This never comes up in the anime though and neither does Jonouchi, even though both of the other two appear in the series. Poor guy.

I thought Pegasus mentioned Joey being third best in an episode of GX?