Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters character?
This poll is closed.
Yugi Muto / Yami Yugi 6 5.94%
Seto Kaiba 36 35.64%
Joey Wheeler 14 13.86%
Mai Valentine 8 7.92%
Bakura Ryou / Yami Bakura 3 2.97%
Maximillian Pegasus 19 18.81%
Marik Ishtar / Yami Marik 4 3.96%
Someone else 11 10.89%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's pretty impressive, given that Yugi and Kaiba have some weird egyptian reincarnation stuff going on. Joey's literally just a high schooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Yeah. Yugi has mystical Egyptian magic bullshit, Kaiba has more money than God and Joey just has ungodly levels of luck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'll never forget the episode of the filler arc when the Judge Man guy needs to guess which of Joey's two cards is a monster. He's right, but Joey holds his poker face for just a few seconds and makes him second-guess himself so he picks the wrong card instead.

Odd Wilson posted:

I'll just go along and set this little card here- let me give you a little hint. Better be careful, cause this card's a Trap!
For being a clown most of the time, Joey is a master of getting inside his opponent's head.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Joey Wheeler is literally the only major duelist in this show who doesn't cheat, including flat out handing one of the show's major villains his rear end and only losing due to Shadow Game bullshit right on the attack he had the win.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Episode ME-02: Glossary of Common Jargon
Last Updated: ME-02

I realized while writing the first mechanics update that I actually use a lot of jargon when talking about this game. Some of it's Yu-Gi-Oh specific, some of it comes from MtG and other games, and some of it is just general slang. Trying to completely avoid using it would make a lot of my descriptions feel clunky, but I can't just expect people to pick them all up from context, either. So, while I was waiting for a download, I started on this. There will be a few images, when necessary, but this will primarily be a text update. I'll also be adding to this post as I recognize or get asked about more jargon I've used, so it's definitely not comprehensive. It'll be in alphabetical order as well, for quick reference.

Everything clear? All good? Cool.

Ace: See 'Boss'.

Aggro: A deck that tries to win by attacking quickly with as many monsters as possible before their opponent can get their strategy moving.

Beatdown: A strategy for winning by attacking with powerful monsters. This is the core of several other jargon terms; a monster whose main benefit is its high ATK is often called a beatstick, and beating over a monster means having a monster with higher ATK destroy it.

Boss: The strongest or centerpiece monster in a deck. When this is the character's in-universe best or signature monster, like Kaiba's Blue-Eyes, it can also be called their ace.

Brick: To draw a starting hand you can't effectively play with. For example, all your high-star monsters with nothing to tribute for them.

Burn: Damage dealt directly to your opponent's LP with card effects like Hinotama or Poison Mummy. Decks that try to win primarily or exclusively through these strategies are called burn decks.

Control: The opposite of aggro, a deck that tries to win by preventing or negating your opponent's plays. See also: Stall.

Errata: When a card or skill has its effect changed, either for balance reasons or because of a misprint. See also: Nerf.

Face: Your opponent's LP. Generally used in the context of direct attacks. "Blue-Eyes hits your face for 3k damage", etc.

Meta: Or metagame. A collective term for the cards and strategies used by players interested in winning in PVP. If a deck is 'meta', a large number of PVP players are having success with the deck. Anti-Meta specifically refers to decks made to counter the most commonly-played ones, with less regard for how they do otherwise.

Mill: Causing your opponent to lose by not being able to draw any cards from an empty deck, with card effects like Warm Worm.

Nerf: To change an effect to make a card, skill, or deck weaker or less overpowering. The opposite is called a buff.

Stall: A control deck that tries to drag the game out for as long as possible, usually either to win either via mill or Exodia the Forbidden One.

Star: What I call Stars in this LP is officially called monster level. (Battle Ox is a level 4 monster.) However, using 'star' to refer to monster level is often done verbally (to save syllables), so I'm just using that here for clarity.

I'll be adding more as I think of them and as people ask about them.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 12, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Next update: Duel Links jingles keys in front of my face for five minutes and I talk about which ones I'll be grabbing at.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Seeing 'brick' in there definitely calls to mind one other term that will eventually join this update, and the story of why it's used.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

interesting idea for a lets play, OP. Grew up loving Yu-gi-oh, have some played duel links and absolutely loved playing it in the school yard. Bit of a shame how the metas developed imo, though.

The music links don't work for me, unfortunately.

edit: they do now, though!

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 22, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
can we still post our favorite old cards?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Leraika posted:

can we still post our favorite old cards?

Hungry Burger makes me hungry for a retrain.

Apologies for delays. There may or may not be another recently-updated game grabbing my attention.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

This card exists.

It's an incredibly double-edged sword.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Odd Wilson posted:

This card exists.

It's an incredibly double-edged sword.

Not anymore.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 21, 2021

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I... don't see how that works.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

AweStriker posted:

I... don't see how that works.

Flip Immortal, gain 3000 LP.

Play Creature Swap, give your opponent Immortal.

Destroy Immortal, they take the 5000 damage, as they currently own it.

I remember it working with Granadora in one of the GBA games, so it should work for Immortal.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BisbyWorl posted:

Flip Immortal, gain 3000 LP.

Play Creature Swap, give your opponent Immortal.

Destroy Immortal, they take the 5000 damage, as they currently own it.

I remember it working with Granadora in one of the GBA games, so it should work for Immortal.

Sadly no that is not how it works. The GBA games aren't always accurate, and The Immortal of Thunder in particular activates in the graveyard, so it hurts you no matter what because it's in your graveyard, even if you creature swap to your opponent.

Granadora possibly works differently because it's trigger is when it is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, whereas Immortal is sent to the graveyard only.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Lord_Magmar posted:

Sadly no that is not how it works. The GBA games aren't always accurate, and The Immortal of Thunder in particular activates in the graveyard, so it hurts you no matter what because it's in your graveyard, even if you creature swap to your opponent.

Granadora possibly works differently because it's trigger is when it is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, whereas Immortal is sent to the graveyard only.

Yeah, this is how I remember it going- card effects are really drat specific sometimes in this game. Best thing you can do with this thing is use it in a Banish deck as a free 3000 LP flip monster, or gimmick it with that one trap that flips all effect damage to healing and healing to effect damage.

Mage Power, anyone?

When it comes to cards I actually like, Ben Kei and Maha Vailo. They're not as old as some of the few we've been talking about, but they're from my favorite era. I was always a fan of equip cards, and these two could do terrifying things with the right cards behind them.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The real issue with immortal is sacrificing a summon on your turn just to increase your LP by 3000, cause you're sure as poo poo not leaving him on the field.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There are also much funnier things to do with Creature Swap.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I was always a fan of this card:

Don't think it was ever like, meta, but I had fun with my janky lifegain deck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Arzaac posted:

There was a deck called Nurse Burn that used it. It wasn’t top tier, but it was rogue and stole a few major tournament tops.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The fact that trix came so close to existing in yu-gi-oh but doesn't disappoints me, because it's my favorite magic deck.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Glad for this LP's existence. Also count me a fan of Maha Vailo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Leraika posted:

The fact that trix came so close to existing in yu-gi-oh but doesn't disappoints me, because it's my favorite magic deck.
If it helps, there've been many cards that were banned because they basically let you make Cheerios.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

girl dick energy posted:

If it helps, there've been many cards that were banned because they basically let you make Cheerios.

Butterfly Dagger - Elma and Gearfried I remember being A Thing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leraika posted:

Butterfly Dagger - Elma and Gearfried I remember being A Thing.

The combo that taught Konami to make everything once per turn.

It'd take longer for them to realize that every card name should be once per turn instead of just every card.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

And yet they still don’t retain that information.

Sky Strikers. :argh:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There are a couple cards in this game that are way more obnoxious in 20 card decks thanks to not having those.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Hmm... I played this game ages ago, and I was tempted to pick it up again because I heard that one of favorite decks in the TCG became a budget meta contender. Is that still true? The deck in question being Witchcrafters, the Spellcaster archetype that's aesthetically Atelier protagonists lead by a Little Miss Smug~

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arzaac posted:

I was a big playground bully with this thing and it always ruled. I had at least three different classmates scoop in a huff in response to one or more Upstart Goblins with Bad Reaction active. :allears:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kyrosiris posted:

I was a big playground bully with this thing and it always ruled. I had at least three different classmates scoop in a huff in response to one or more Upstart Goblins with Bad Reaction active. :allears:

Snatch Steal was the fun one for me. "Don't worry, in exchange for your Blue Eyes you get...*checks notes* -1000 LP a turn!"

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Kyrosiris posted:

How about Soul Taker? Destroy the opponent's monster, then give them +1000 -1000LP and potentially open the can of worms that is "Missing The Timing".

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Arzaac posted:

Snatch Steal was the fun one for me. "Don't worry, in exchange for your Blue Eyes you get...*checks notes* -1000 LP a turn!"

Snatch Steal and it's predecessor Change of Heart were just in general peak "get hosed" cards, let alone reverse health gimmicking them. Hey, wow, that's a big tribute/fusion/ritual you got there. I hope you don't mind if I just take that and hit you in the face with it and maybe even use it for tribute/ritual fodder myself? Even better when you just blocked the attack they tried on you with said card by way of Magic Cylinder.

God, this card.

When I think back, being as rude as possible was kind of always the name of the game, in a way.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Odd Wilson posted:

Even better when you just blocked the attack they tried on you with said card by way of Magic Cylinder.

God, this card.

When I think back, being as rude as possible was kind of always the name of the game, in a way.

Cylinder may be bad because it doesn't actually deal with the monster performing the attack, but there's always something adrenaline-pumping to be said about resolving it to steal a game you had no business winning. :allears:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

NyoroEevee posted:

The deck in question being Witchcrafters, the Spellcaster archetype that's aesthetically Atelier protagonists lead by a Little Miss Smug~
I went to have a long read up on that, and they don’t have any modern upgrade (extra deck function) for their archtype. They aren’t really compatible with other archtype and have too many cards to run it owns thing.

That said, you can stuff the extra deck with Link monster for unintrusive support. XYZ is bad since all your monsters have varies levels.

I think it would be fun if you can managed to make it work in a spellcaster type Pendulum deck.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 23, 2021

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I had an opponent with a Yata-Garasu deck. Kiss my rear end, Mark.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nyaa posted:

I went to have a long read up on that, and they don’t have any modern upgrade (extra deck function) for their archtype. They aren’t really compatible with other archtype and have too many cards to run it owns thing.

That said, you can stuff the extra deck with Link monster for unintrusive support. XYZ is bad since all your monsters have varies levels.

I think it would be fun if you can managed to make it work in a spellcaster type Pendulum deck.

They’re actually really recent, like post Link recent in the main game. They’re one of the archetypes made when Duel Links was getting big specifically to air drop into Duel Links in my opinion. Which at the time wasn’t anywhere near most extra deck types.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Witchcrafters are in Duel Links, yeah, added around the same time as the Dark Side of Dimension movie stuff, and while they're not great in PVP, they're functional, and really annoying to play against. (They're also right up there with Traptrix in 'art that makes me mildly uncomfortable'.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 23, 2021

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Nyaa posted:

Yeah, I've played them quite a bit in TCG (in fact, I've owned a pure Witchcrafters deck in paper pretty much since their release in Infinity Chasers); I was specifically curious about their viability in Duel Links.

Impressions playing them in the TCG:

I've tried a hybrid with Pend Magician but had no real success because only the big ones, like Madame Verre and Haine, really appreciate being Pendulum Summoned; also, the Witchcrafters tend to be more reliant on having discard fodder Spells available for effects, which means fewer cards in hand to Pendulum Summon.

On the note of an Extra Deck, generic Links like the Knightmares are indeed pretty good. But the real kicker for free real estate in ED is anti-meta stuff. Super Polymerization targets, Chimeratech Fortress Dragon/Megafleet Dragon, and with the possibility of Dogmatika Maximus if someone dives that deep into the Dogmatika engine, Elder Entity N'tss or the Cyber Dragon Nova > Invoked Mechaba combo.

The big greedy play that Witchcrafters can really swing a game with is resolving the grave effect of Witchcrafter Patronus after playing Spell Chronicle. Being able to stuff 5+ Witchcrafter spells into hand is a huge resource generation that Haine and Madame Verre can easily cash in.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

NyoroEevee posted:

Yeah, I've played them quite a bit in TCG (in fact, I've owned a pure Witchcrafters deck in paper pretty much since their release in Infinity Chasers); I was specifically curious about their viability in Duel Links.

Impressions playing them in the TCG:

I've tried a hybrid with Pend Magician but had no real success because only the big ones, like Madame Verre and Haine, really appreciate being Pendulum Summoned; also, the Witchcrafters tend to be more reliant on having discard fodder Spells available for effects, which means fewer cards in hand to Pendulum Summon.

On the note of an Extra Deck, generic Links like the Knightmares are indeed pretty good. But the real kicker for free real estate in ED is anti-meta stuff. Super Polymerization targets, Chimeratech Fortress Dragon/Megafleet Dragon, and with the possibility of Dogmatika Maximus if someone dives that deep into the Dogmatika engine, Elder Entity N'tss or the Cyber Dragon Nova > Invoked Mechaba combo.

The big greedy play that Witchcrafters can really swing a game with is resolving the grave effect of Witchcrafter Patronus after playing Spell Chronicle. Being able to stuff 5+ Witchcrafter spells into hand is a huge resource generation that Haine and Madame Verre can easily cash in.

Spell Counter stuff might also be a generic spellcaster support thing you can look into. The new Endymion stuff is nutso. Also lore appropriate as the Witchcrafter's live in Endymion's city, and their leader in the long ago past worked with him directly. Even has an archetype based on that initial group of spellcasters working together. Endymion, Verre, Aleister and some new guy specifically for that archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

NyoroEevee posted:

I've tried a hybrid with Pend Magician but had no real success because only the big ones, like Madame Verre and Haine, really appreciate being Pendulum Summoned;
What I have in mind is using pendulum specifically for self-tribute effect engine and graveyard fuel (Schmietta’s second gimmick) for self-banish. Completely replace/remove the first effect gimmick of hand discard and keeping spell in hand. (remove Schmietta, Genni, Haine, Madame Verre, and cards like Unveiling). Only Scroll and Bystreet will power the discard effect if you want to keep it.

Potterie is specifically build for handless recovery too.

On another note, I wonder how well the archtype would do as an anti-trap gimmick by giving up Masterpiece and Patronus.