Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters character?
This poll is closed.
Yugi Muto / Yami Yugi 6 5.94%
Seto Kaiba 36 35.64%
Joey Wheeler 14 13.86%
Mai Valentine 8 7.92%
Bakura Ryou / Yami Bakura 3 2.97%
Maximillian Pegasus 19 18.81%
Marik Ishtar / Yami Marik 4 3.96%
Someone else 11 10.89%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You keep calling the duel format here Turbo Duels. That's not correct, that's the dub name for Riding Duels. These are Speed Duels.

Anyways I can't even imagine what you could have to show in Duel Links but I'll follow the LP for that. I got bored pretty quickly but gacha irritates me on a deep level so that's unsurprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's honestly really funny to see Kaiba's and David's portraits together. Kaiba's is significantly more detailed and also has way more explosive of a pose, while David is just chilling. It absolutely makes Kaiba look like the biggest dork ever, just a gigantic tryhard against a guy that's taking his sass as if it was nothing because he's here to have fun playing a card game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

girl dick energy posted:

How was the rules explanation, by the way? I'm trying to break it down into simple chunks, while also avoiding too many jarring "we'll talk about that later" moments.

I think it was pretty good. It reminded me of the good old days when YGO was barely any more complicated than that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Odd Wilson posted:

Well, that makes sense now.

Now I'm just wondering why they changed it from that.

YGO translations, in both anime and the cards themselves, have been historically completely loving awful and caused a lot of issues with rulings due to changing things entirely because they felt like it. This is just one of many examples of it.

Natural 20 posted:

Presumably so she wouldn't come under the benefits of the Valkyrie archetype cards?

The cards that wouldn't exist until several years later?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

If it helps, the GX manga does consider him the third best duelist in the world, only behind Yugi and Kaiba.

This never comes up in the anime though and neither does Jonouchi, even though both of the other two appear in the series. Poor guy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Leraika posted:

Butterfly Dagger - Elma and Gearfried I remember being A Thing.

The combo that taught Konami to make everything once per turn.

It'd take longer for them to realize that every card name should be once per turn instead of just every card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Flair posted:

That explains the latest movie so much better. I watched it thinking it was following the anime continuity, and I was wondering why and how Kaiba could have so much angst while also starting Duel academy.

Yeah, it's a big difference. In the manga, Kaiba wasn't present for the last duel (in fact, he isn't present for the entirety of the last arc, with his character development done after Duelist Kingdom he leaves the story), so the movie's take on him has some logic - he never saw Atem leave, and his ego is big enough that he'd believe that only he could properly send his rival off.

In the anime he was there, and apparently that was good enough to accept that someone else got the last blow on one of the two people Kaiba ever cared about, so he could go on with his life and create Duel Academia (where he still put his own God card first and Atem's last, because his ego has not changed at all).