Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters character?
This poll is closed.
Yugi Muto / Yami Yugi 6 5.94%
Seto Kaiba 36 35.64%
Joey Wheeler 14 13.86%
Mai Valentine 8 7.92%
Bakura Ryou / Yami Bakura 3 2.97%
Maximillian Pegasus 19 18.81%
Marik Ishtar / Yami Marik 4 3.96%
Someone else 11 10.89%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Hmm... I played this game ages ago, and I was tempted to pick it up again because I heard that one of favorite decks in the TCG became a budget meta contender. Is that still true? The deck in question being Witchcrafters, the Spellcaster archetype that's aesthetically Atelier protagonists lead by a Little Miss Smug~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Kyrosiris posted:

I was a big playground bully with this thing and it always ruled. I had at least three different classmates scoop in a huff in response to one or more Upstart Goblins with Bad Reaction active. :allears:

How about Soul Taker? Destroy the opponent's monster, then give them +1000 -1000LP and potentially open the can of worms that is "Missing The Timing".

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Odd Wilson posted:

Even better when you just blocked the attack they tried on you with said card by way of Magic Cylinder.

God, this card.

When I think back, being as rude as possible was kind of always the name of the game, in a way.

Cylinder may be bad because it doesn't actually deal with the monster performing the attack, but there's always something adrenaline-pumping to be said about resolving it to steal a game you had no business winning. :allears:

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Nyaa posted:

I went to have a long read up on that, and they don’t have any modern upgrade (extra deck function) for their archtype. They aren’t really compatible with other archtype and have too many cards to run it owns thing.

That said, you can stuff the extra deck with Link monster for unintrusive support. XYZ is bad since all your monsters have varies levels.

I think it would be fun if you can managed to make it work in a spellcaster type Pendulum deck.

Yeah, I've played them quite a bit in TCG (in fact, I've owned a pure Witchcrafters deck in paper pretty much since their release in Infinity Chasers); I was specifically curious about their viability in Duel Links.

Impressions playing them in the TCG:

I've tried a hybrid with Pend Magician but had no real success because only the big ones, like Madame Verre and Haine, really appreciate being Pendulum Summoned; also, the Witchcrafters tend to be more reliant on having discard fodder Spells available for effects, which means fewer cards in hand to Pendulum Summon.

On the note of an Extra Deck, generic Links like the Knightmares are indeed pretty good. But the real kicker for free real estate in ED is anti-meta stuff. Super Polymerization targets, Chimeratech Fortress Dragon/Megafleet Dragon, and with the possibility of Dogmatika Maximus if someone dives that deep into the Dogmatika engine, Elder Entity N'tss or the Cyber Dragon Nova > Invoked Mechaba combo.

The big greedy play that Witchcrafters can really swing a game with is resolving the grave effect of Witchcrafter Patronus after playing Spell Chronicle. Being able to stuff 5+ Witchcrafter spells into hand is a huge resource generation that Haine and Madame Verre can easily cash in.