Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters character?
This poll is closed.
Yugi Muto / Yami Yugi 6 5.94%
Seto Kaiba 36 35.64%
Joey Wheeler 14 13.86%
Mai Valentine 8 7.92%
Bakura Ryou / Yami Bakura 3 2.97%
Maximillian Pegasus 19 18.81%
Marik Ishtar / Yami Marik 4 3.96%
Someone else 11 10.89%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Ah, Yu-gi-oh, forever part of my childhood. I played too much of the card game growing up, to the point where I'm sure I remember the rules and cards better than anything I ever learned in school, only eventually falling out once Xyz became a thing. Still, the 3 old PC games of Yugi, Kaiba, and Joey will never not bring back memories,

This has caught my eye for sure! Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

girl dick energy posted:

Amateur... Get out of my sight!

What did I tell you? Zero loving chill. :allears:

Kaiba's immense aggro will never not be entertaining to me.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

girl dick energy posted:

How was the rules explanation, by the way? I'm trying to break it down into simple chunks, while also avoiding too many jarring "we'll talk about that later" moments.

I'd say it was pretty good, a lot cleaner than my attempts to explain it in the past. Breaking it down is absolutely the best way to go here.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It reminded me of the good old days when YGO was barely any more complicated than that.

Yeah, "trying to drink from a fire hose while someone throws cards at you and shouts something about exceeding summons" is a rather perfect description of how it is these days.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

early Yu-Gi-Oh monsters sucked so much

Speaking of old cards:

Why is Dark Witch a Light type and a Fairy instead of a Spellcaster?

And of course the same goes for it's pseudo-remake version?

Now I'm trying to think of what other cards made no sense like this.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Nyaa posted:

Her actual name is Valkyrie in JP.

Well, that makes sense now.

Now I'm just wondering why they changed it from that.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 11, 2021

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I'll just go along and set this little card here- let me give you a little hint. Better be careful, cause this card's a Trap!

And it is most of the time.

Where Kaiba is full ham on being aggro, Joey is full ham on general overconfidence and remains pretty :allears: for me

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

This card exists.

It's an incredibly double-edged sword.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Lord_Magmar posted:

Sadly no that is not how it works. The GBA games aren't always accurate, and The Immortal of Thunder in particular activates in the graveyard, so it hurts you no matter what because it's in your graveyard, even if you creature swap to your opponent.

Granadora possibly works differently because it's trigger is when it is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, whereas Immortal is sent to the graveyard only.

Yeah, this is how I remember it going- card effects are really drat specific sometimes in this game. Best thing you can do with this thing is use it in a Banish deck as a free 3000 LP flip monster, or gimmick it with that one trap that flips all effect damage to healing and healing to effect damage.

Mage Power, anyone?

When it comes to cards I actually like, Ben Kei and Maha Vailo. They're not as old as some of the few we've been talking about, but they're from my favorite era. I was always a fan of equip cards, and these two could do terrifying things with the right cards behind them.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Arzaac posted:

Snatch Steal was the fun one for me. "Don't worry, in exchange for your Blue Eyes you get...*checks notes* -1000 LP a turn!"

Snatch Steal and it's predecessor Change of Heart were just in general peak "get hosed" cards, let alone reverse health gimmicking them. Hey, wow, that's a big tribute/fusion/ritual you got there. I hope you don't mind if I just take that and hit you in the face with it and maybe even use it for tribute/ritual fodder myself? Even better when you just blocked the attack they tried on you with said card by way of Magic Cylinder.

God, this card.

When I think back, being as rude as possible was kind of always the name of the game, in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
That's one long matchmaking queue :v:

But seriously, no worries, we can wait.