Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
Hilariously those dudes one the original cover are a one for one tracing of a Vietnam war photo. I guess a lot of the art in that edition was.

Free League just announced the next module is going to be Urban Operations, based on the 1E module Free City of Krakow.

I read somewhere that after this they are doing Pirates of the Vistula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any recs for finding more of the hex maps at the new edition scale? I really like the ones included in the box set but wouldn't mind some larger ones I can plan entire sessions/battles around.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jokers Gamble posted:

Hilariously those dudes one the original cover are a one for one tracing of a Vietnam war photo. I guess a lot of the art in that edition was.

Yes, specifically from a book titled Nam by photographer Tim Page:

Page was one of the main inspirations for the Dennis Hopper character in Apocalypse Now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bottom Liner posted:

Any recs for finding more of the hex maps at the new edition scale? I really like the ones included in the box set but wouldn't mind some larger ones I can plan entire sessions/battles around.

There's an expansion coming that promises new maps, mostly city-based.

You might want to consider the Advanced / Squad Leader maps for slightly larger operations, or maps from any number of hex-and-chit wargames for a more strategic scale game.

I think ASL and 4e T2K use the same ground scale on the tactical maps, which would be super convenient since most gaming groups have at least one guy who owns a copy.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Originally my campaign was me as the GM and a single PC run by a friend of mine. The PC is Shane "God" Pendlan from San Antonio Texas. He is a Captain in the US Navy and one-time commander and only known survivor of SEAL Team 8. He's combat veteran been in theater for four years (and coincidently was a part of Operation Rampart and the Battle of Czestochowa in May 1997). A trained sniper with multiple kills to his name, God favors a .50 caliber sniper rifle called "The Hand".

https://www.rainwalk.net/gaming/t2k/god.htm

After hearing of our new campaign, the rest of my gaming group asked to join and so a solo campaign became our main campaign. We are introduced to Captain Beefheart, the commander of the M60A4 tank, Trip, the loader, and Major ("not Colonel!") Sanders, a shell-shocked armored cavalry scout in the gunner's position.

For the last several days, before campaign start, God has been driving around the countryside in the Konin-Kolo-Sompolno triangle in a Toyota Hilux, searching for potential routes for the impending breakout while avoiding the 89th Cavalry Division and the 20th Tank Division patrolling in the area.

At oh-dark-hundred God received a readio message to pull back to Kalisz and to link up with any friendly unit and hitch a ride during the breakout, so he hauls rear end across the bridge across the Warta River at Konin under heavy fire from elements of the 89th Cavalry Division. A few short hours later, this bridge will be blown up by the 89th to cut off any escape by the 5th Infantry.

He drives his perforated Hilux south along the road to Kalisz but veers off to the west as he sees the Kalisz fall to the 10th Polish Tank Division and the Soviet 89th Cavalry Division. Low on fuel he heads he heads for the nearest cover and drives into the forest east of Pleszew, picking up a straggler - a US soldier named Joker from 1-40 Armored.

Amidst the rolling sounds of battle from near Kalisz, God also hears cannon fire from armored combat nearby. He refuels from jerrycans in his stores and heads south just in time to link up with a battered yet servicable M60A4 tank with "A WHOLE CAN OF WHOOP rear end" painted on its 105mm main gun.

He arrives just in time to see Whoop rear end destroy two BMP-C personel carriers and a Soviet T-72 Tank, but not before taking a glancing hit itself, killing "Trip" in the loader's position. The group flees to the forest north of Ostrow to bury the remains of Trip, make introductions, refuel, reprovision, and regroup.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Welp, this went from "gotta play it soon" to "yeah I don't even want to look at this ever again" in a matter of weeks.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 25, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Seriously.

I'd been on a pretty big Cold War kick, and all that turned to dust reading one Facebook post about painting the white "Z" invasion markings on Team Yankee Warsaw pact tanks this morning.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Man, you know, my other hobbies are poo poo like Warhammer and building scale models, but TBH right now I don't want to build or paint anything related to any of that. My LGS has been promoting some Team Yankee event and I'm like "let's read the mood here, guys."

EDIT: What's the "Z" marking?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

EdsTeioh posted:

It's markings that Russia paints on their tanks invading Ukraine right now, supposedly for identification purposes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, you know, my other hobbies are poo poo like Warhammer and building scale models, but TBH right now I don't want to build or paint anything related to any of that. My LGS has been promoting some Team Yankee event and I'm like "let's read the mood here, guys."

I can relate, right about now I don't even want to build or paint any of my Russian WWII stuff. I'm just looking strictly at my sci-fi and fantasy minis. I'd been considering Twilight: 2000 again but yeah, that's definitely gonna go by the wayside for the forseeable future.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

DekeThornton posted:

It's markings that Russia paints on their tanks invading Ukraine right now, supposedly for identification purposes.

OOh ok; I've been watching the poo poo out of as much coverage as I can but didn't really notice that until you pointed it out; thanks! Is there some kind of sinister meaning behind that?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I can relate, right about now I don't even want to build or paint any of my Russian WWII stuff. I'm just looking strictly at my sci-fi and fantasy minis. I'd been considering Twilight: 2000 again but yeah, that's definitely gonna go by the wayside for the forseeable future.

Yeah man, I've had an F-16 I've been working on for a while and don't really want to look at it. I sold my Team Yankee stuff off a while back due to know liking the local player base (for the most part) but I don't want to gently caress with my FoW stuff either, not even at an "action movie WWII" level.

Sucks because T2K is a loving AMAZING box set and extremely well done. I may still repurpose it for Metal Gear at some point, which I *think* may be sci-fi enough that it doesn't make me feel like poo poo?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s weird I’m like the complete opposite; it doesn’t really bother me too much. No I’ve been building 40K stuff while listening and watching news.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

EdsTeioh posted:

OOh ok; I've been watching the poo poo out of as much coverage as I can but didn't really notice that until you pointed it out; thanks! Is there some kind of sinister meaning behind that?

As far as anyone knows. It seems to simply be identification markings intended to distinguish friend from foe.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

EdsTeioh posted:

It's an ID marker- different unit boundaries have other ones- O or A I think.

Also some of the tanks have big gazebo steel structures on their turrets that look ridiculous to try and stop top attack missiles- I doubt they do much. The most pathetic ones have wood branches stacked on top instead that looks like a giant eagle's nest, though it might have been used as camo which wouldn't really work either. Neither side seems to be painting any camo on their tanks, or the infantry using plants to break up their outlines.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It’s weird I’m like the complete opposite; it doesn’t really bother me too much. No I’ve been building 40K stuff while listening and watching news.

I'm ok with working on 40k stuff, or generic sci-fi or fantasy stuff, that's detached enough from reality to be a pleasant escape from things. Building or painting a T-72 or BMP (or even a T-34), not quite so much.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm ok with working on 40k stuff, or generic sci-fi or fantasy stuff, that's detached enough from reality to be a pleasant escape from things. Building or painting a T-72 or BMP (or even a T-34), not quite so much.

I can understand that and I won’t begrudge a person for having that view. I mean I’d probably feel weird about doing models for most of the German World War II stuff… unless it was for a diorama of them getting their asses spanked. Although in this case keep in mind a lot of the same units are also being used by Ukraine forces… as a small consolation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A big part of cold war gaming's appeal is that my generation spent 30 years thinking about the cold war but it didn't go hot. They were all cool toys that never came out of their boxes.

So when Russia's ex-KGB president-for-life is murdering his neighbors on TV, that context changed really loving fast.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

moths posted:

A big part of cold war gaming's appeal is that my generation spent 30 years thinking about the cold war but it didn't go hot. They were all cool toys that never came out of their boxes.

So when Russia's ex-KGB president-for-life is murdering his neighbors on TV, that context changed really loving fast.

Yeah, playing a game where you're a wizard or piloting a spaceship or attacking demons with a flaming sword is fine because that's very unlikely to happen in real life, to say the least.

Playing a game where Russia is the aggressor and sparks off World War Three? That's just a little too close to reality at the moment.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I can understand that and I won’t begrudge a person for having that view. I mean I’d probably feel weird about doing models for most of the German World War II stuff… unless it was for a diorama of them getting their asses spanked. Although in this case keep in mind a lot of the same units are also being used by Ukraine forces… as a small consolation.

I mean, I do this stuff to escape the woes of the world for a time, and building/painting something that I know is likely rolling around Ukraine as part of a real-life invasion force/defense force is going to remind me of what's going on, and then it stops being a fun little escape. It's the same reason why I never got into any of the tabletop wargames that were set during the recent conflicts in the Middle East.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 26, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm only building models of tractors from now on. (not really)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Yeah, playing a game where you're a wizard or piloting a spaceship or attacking demons with a flaming sword is fine because that's very unlikely to happen in real life, to say the least.

Playing a game where Russia is the aggressor and sparks off World War Three? That's just a little too close to reality at the moment.

I mean, I do this stuff to escape the woes of the world for a time, and building/painting something that I know is likely rolling around Ukraine as part of a real-life invasion force/defense force is going to remind me of what's going on, and then it stops being a fun little escape. It's the same reason why I never got into any of the tabletop wargames that were set during the recent conflicts in the Middle East.

In fairness I’m kind of a news or at least military news junkie, so it probably doesn’t bother me as much, what would bother me is probably doing a diorama or something literally showing an attack on a civilian setting and not the military ones we normally would obviously build. I guess it would still be detached for me maybe?

That said I have a very bad feeling room to see a lot more of that footage soon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think y'all are getting lost in the details and semantics when the original point was that this game is set in the imaginary fallout of a conflict in Europe that never really happened, but now it's not imaginary at all. The theme of this game is literally what people are living through now and will be in the future. It's no longer fictional but historical.

I'm also thinking up ways to retheme the system because there's a lot of good stuff here.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 27, 2022

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

I think y'all are getting lost in the details and semantics when the original point was that this game is set in the imaginary fallout of a conflict in Europe that never really happened, but now it's not imaginary at all. The theme of this game is literally what people are living through now and will be in the future. It's no longer fictional but historical.

I'm also thinking up ways to retheme the system because there's a lot of good stuff here.

I thought it would be good for playing a Stargate setting, or something like Escape from New York.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jokers Gamble posted:

I thought it would be good for playing a Stargate setting, or something like Escape from New York.

If you ever get the Escape from New York thing set up I’d love to play that.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

To me this game seems like a great system for playing a different kind of post apocalypse rpg, like walking dead or fallout.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, this exactly. I did mess around with a 40k model this weekend which I feel is detached enough from reality, but the default setting is something that I probably won't want to go back to for a long time.

A pretty heartbreaking and also heartwarming thing happened to me related to this over the weekend though. My son (8) and I were looking through games on sale on PlayStation Network and as we're both airplane nerds Ace Combat caught his eye. I'm not really one to shield him from things, but on the other hand, I can't think of many (if any) children that age that would understand the situation fully, so I just basically said "Dad's not really in the mood for games about war right now because there's a real war where bad people are doing bad things, so it makes me feel bad." His immediate response "I wish I was older so I could go and help stop it." Good god.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Lord Yod posted:

To me this game seems like a great system for playing a different kind of post apocalypse rpg, like walking dead or fallout.

It is! This version of T2K is itself already a re-theming of the best post-apocalypse RPG around, Mutant: Year Zero.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know the topic might be a little depressing, and I understand people not wanting too, but looking at my unused Twilight book is also depressing, so I was wondering if anyone wants to run a game now? I’d been wanting to play for a while, but lack skills to DM or locals to play with.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

All I ever really wanted was Twilight: 1976. It's the same game, just with the tech level rolled back a quarter-century.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Twilight '76 completely takes the edge off what's killing an otherwise promising game - so let's please talk about rad ideas for that.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

moths posted:

Twilight '76 completely takes the edge off what's killing an otherwise promising game - so let's please talk about rad ideas for that.

Well, for starters, the body armor situation is a lot more fraught.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Madurai posted:

All I ever really wanted was Twilight: 1976. It's the same game, just with the tech level rolled back a quarter-century.

I will admit I have toyed with the idea of Twilight: 1962. (Cuban Missile Crisis goes badly.)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

I’m also in favor of adapting it to the Escape From New York universe. It’s far more fleshed out in the novelization, which you can find scanned copies of online, and there was even a comic series which umm hey John Carpenter got paid at least.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A friend of mine just launched a t2k game set in 1916 pre-revolution tsarist Russia. It’s his stated plan to get players (as Russian grunts) through WW1 and the revolution and thrn through WW2.

I have time constraints so I won’t be playing, but I helped him stat a bunch of period appropriate firearms.

This premise feels safe, somehow. Since we all know how the war(s) end it doesn’t feel as macabre as playing a game in war-torn Europe when there’s an actual war in Eastern Europe going on.

I’m sticking with my Rolemaster elfgame for now, though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agrikk posted:

A friend of mine just launched a t2k game set in 1916 pre-revolution tsarist Russia. It’s his stated plan to get players (as Russian grunts) through WW1 and the revolution and thrn through WW2.

I have time constraints so I won’t be playing, but I helped him stat a bunch of period appropriate firearms.

This premise feels safe, somehow. Since we all know how the war(s) end it doesn’t feel as macabre as playing a game in war-torn Europe when there’s an actual war in Eastern Europe going on.

I’m sticking with my Rolemaster elfgame for now, though.

Are you sure? The Russian Civil War is far worse then what’s going on now. I mean there are confirmed cases of cannibalism.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Wait a second. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs as in tbe cartoon? Did this game line lead to that?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

citybeatnik posted:

Wait a second. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs as in tbe cartoon? Did this game line lead to that?

Not sure, I would think it’s show then product. There was even a licensed Ghostbuster RPG game.

Kind of wishing that there was a Garfield one now. lol

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

citybeatnik posted:

The Xenozoic Tales comic was reprinted by Marvel as Cadillacs and Dinosaurs in 1990, GDW picked up the license for the RPG then. The cartoon and toy line came a couple years later. So, maybe in some small way, but the concept alone is very toyetic.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheeljack posted:

The Xenozoic Tales comic was reprinted by Marvel as Cadillacs and Dinosaurs in 1990, GDW picked up the license for the RPG then. The cartoon and toy line came a couple years later. So, maybe in some small way, but the concept alone is very toyetic.

Huh I would have figured it came after a TV deal. Interesting.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Huh I would have figured it came after a TV deal. Interesting.

Dealing with the license for a TV show or movie is a lot more complicated and expensive than a comic, especially a creator-owned one. The TMNT game was based on the comic and pre-dated the cartoon, and indy titles like Albedo and Usagi Yojimbo and Femforce have had RPG adaptions, among others, strictly from the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I was a kickstarter supporter for the new version of the game; and…

I still cannot convince anyone to actually play the game with me.