Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Seriously every villain in Batman: TAS except for the Joker and Two-Face do crimes because they are being ground down by the capitalist machine. Clayface only uses the cream that mutates him because he can't get roles otherwise. Poison Ivy can't get her research funded. That clock motherfucker lost his business. Mr. Freeze also needed money for research. Seriously money could've fixed all the villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A billionaire beats up victims of capitalism, for fun

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

A billionaire beats up victims of capitalism, for fun

This is a completely new take on Batman that no one has ever thought of. Great work!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jabberlock posted:

This is a completely new take on Batman that no one has ever thought of. Great work!

But why does no one ever truly follow it down?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

what about the guy whos just a paedophile op

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

what about the guy whos just a paedophile op

It was the Riddler not the Diddler

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
The Mad Hatter is more of a pickup artist than a pedophile imho

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
its the roaring 20s op, that's just the way it goes baby

*ratatatatatatatatata* COPPAH

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
all of the airships in BTAS were pretty cool. did they ever actually interact with them? like did Batman ever have a fight on an airship or did the riddler threaten to blow up an airship or something. I think they were just pure background details but either way it was pretty sweet

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

But why does no one ever truly follow it down?

I mean, if you're looking for 'Batman as villainous capitalist,' I'm sure you could find plenty of fanfiction or whatever. DC would never do it because a) he's an evergreen character that's never allowed to permanently change or grow, and b) they're a corporation, milquetoast wokeness is the absolute most they'll allow. If you're looking for a serious criticism of capitalism (or even a skin-deep one, really) then cape poo poo, the mental equivalent of junk food, is probably not going to be a fertile searching ground. It's like going into a Long John Silver's and asking why they don't serve sashimi.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

rabble rabble posted:

its the roaring 20s op, that's just the way it goes baby

*ratatatatatatatatata* COPPAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DUj_Jrq1hs

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, if you're looking for 'Batman as villainous capitalist,' I'm sure you could find plenty of fanfiction or whatever. DC would never do it because a) he's an evergreen character that's never allowed to permanently change or grow, and b) they're a corporation, milquetoast wokeness is the absolute most they'll allow. If you're looking for a serious criticism of capitalism (or even a skin-deep one, really) then cape poo poo, the mental equivalent of junk food, is probably not going to be a fertile searching ground. It's like going into a Long John Silver's and asking why they don't serve sashimi.

i would bet infinity dollars that theres been a recent comic where batman is epically dressed down by a woman for being a white male capitalist

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

How about Batman comes up with a super secret computer program that analyzes all behavior in Gotham and comes up with who the biggest lawbreaker is and he feeds all the data in and it turns out it's him, Bruce Wayne, because he's engaging in wage theft on a massive scale through his various Wayne Enterprises and then he just takes a swig of whiskey and goes out to brain damage purse snatchers

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

But Batman: TAS really does try to get to the heart of the fact that capitalism is the evil. Not insanity, not some kind of goo, capitalism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Honestly, though, I'm surprised that there aren't more our-lawyers-assure-you-that-this-is-not-Batman capitalist vigilante villains out there. 'Superman but evil' is a dime a dozen.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

correct

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, though, I'm surprised that there aren't more our-lawyers-assure-you-that-this-is-not-Batman capitalist vigilante villains out there. 'Superman but evil' is a dime a dozen.

Bitch rear end Mark Millar tried this and we got the all-timer “He rigged her womb to explode in the event of an abortion” plot point

biff bam pow comics ain’t for kids anymore

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Batman isn't boot straps libertarianism, he's more of a milquetoast liberal who buys into trickle down economics, "the more I invest in this city, the more it will ultimately lift the people up," but it turns out that one millionaire can't possibly buoy an entire city that's been ransacked by capitalism since before he was born and Bruce Wayne actually has very little power to effect politics compared to the Lex Luthors of the world or, hell, the Amanda Wallers of it. Ultimately, Batman is just as helpless as any of the villains in actually changing the world, and so, much like the villains, he deals with its flaws with a dramatic mental breakdown, dressing up and pretending to be Zorro to hide the fact he is only a single cog in a much more sinister machine.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

watchmen has four

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
have you seen the giant penny? imagine how large the trillion dollar coin is

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Batman will frequently say, "I can get you help," or, "This is not the way," or something, but it's always a form of projection, because after all, Batman isn't getting help, his quack literally fucks with his head and tries to out his superhero identity in Hugo Strange, so really, like most of what Bruce does, he's just whispering to Harvey Dent or Edward Nygma or whatever what he whispered to himself with his parents dead: "Be responsible, do something, get help." But he never does. Just a permanent state of paralysis.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

edward ligma

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
finding out batman's secret identity and swatting the batcave

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Riddler was a video game developer in BTAS and frankly I demand that someone write him in something these days as a Dark Ulillillia.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
arkham city was fun as hell

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

some plague rats posted:

arkham city was fun as hell

yeah it was rad. the predator levels were always an extremely satisfying power fantasy.

i really liked all of the arkham games, although arkham knight was definitely janky

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

batman beats up criminals and then bruce wayne hires them to work night security so who could say

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Probably Magic posted:

Batman isn't boot straps libertarianism, he's more of a milquetoast liberal who buys into trickle down economics, "the more I invest in this city, the more it will ultimately lift the people up," but it turns out that one millionaire can't possibly buoy an entire city that's been ransacked by capitalism since before he was born and Bruce Wayne actually has very little power to effect politics compared to the Lex Luthors of the world or, hell, the Amanda Wallers of it. Ultimately, Batman is just as helpless as any of the villains in actually changing the world, and so, much like the villains, he deals with its flaws with a dramatic mental breakdown, dressing up and pretending to be Zorro to hide the fact he is only a single cog in a much more sinister machine.

Eh, isn’t Wayne Industries most of the time the largest economic force in Gotham? In Batman Begins, the entire city’s transportation network (which disappears in later films) is tied to its office tower.

He just doesn’t really care that much beyond keeping order.

Honestly, I am just glad that the super hero era seems to be dying down with COVID. poo poo, remember the Zonbie era?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

The Mad Hatter is more of a pickup artist than a pedophile imho

human trafficker who's really into ddlg roleplay

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Dark Ulillillia.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

human trafficker who's really into ddlg roleplay

I remember back in New 52 ove if the batman comics stars off with Mad Hatter making like 300 people drown themselves for no reason, and than I stopped reading Capeshit

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

wow sounds like these "comic books" have some real layers to them op

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:gas:

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

The Riddler was a scientific genius who's invention, a device that can beam TV directly into your brain, was rejected because the capitalist oligarch (Wayne) failed to see how he could profit off it. Here we see both the loss of an obviously useful invention, and a capitalist who failed to understand how to make money.

Under communism, the device could have been used to spread operas, documentaries and art an culture to the convenience of the masses.

This is the only canonical version of the Riddler, because unlike every other Batman, the Tim Burton movies were fun dreck, instead of just being drek.

The Atomic Man-Boy has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Nov 11, 2021

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

The Riddler was a scientific genius who's invention, a device that can beam TV directly into your brain, was rejected because the capitalist oligarch (Wayne) failed to see how he could profit off it. Here we see both the loss of an obviously useful invention, and a capitalist who failed to understand how to make money.

Under communism, the device could have been used to spread operas, documentaries and art an culture to the convenience of the masses.

This is the only canonical version of the Riddler, because unlike every other Batman, the Tim Burton movies were fun dreck, instead of just being drek.

This is Joel Schumaker erasure. Batman & Robin is the best Batman

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Superman but evil is a cautionary tale of what happens when the undeserving get power that isn't controlled by a bureaucracy. The takeaway is meant to be that power should only rest in the hands of the vetted and qualified.

Batman but evil would be a tale of the vetted and qualified (by virtue of being rich) being an unhinged sociopath able to use existing systems to do whatever they want. Thats a difficult concept to play straight in any society, much less a hypercapitalist one

Farm Frenzy posted:

watchmen has four

Which is why its subversive and why all of the various mimicries of Watchmen have failed to really say anything - they don't want to follow through on the Batman but evil angle without making someone a cartoon.

Ardennes posted:

Eh, isn’t Wayne Industries most of the time the largest economic force in Gotham? In Batman Begins, the entire city’s transportation network (which disappears in later films) is tied to its office tower.

In most iterations Wayne is a multibillionaire and Wayne Enterprises is the most powerful company in Gotham (literally built Gotham in old continuity) and a major world player that either rivals or is bigger than LexCorp. Ultrarich Bruce Wayne could easily solve poverty, hunger, and homelessness on a national scale in the same way Jeff Bezos could, he just choses to blow it all on Bat Jets and vague 'social outreach' programs.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

i would bet infinity dollars that theres been a recent comic where batman is epically dressed down by a woman for being a white male capitalist

dc played it differently future batman is black now, the son of lucius fox i believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Probably Magic posted:

Batman will frequently say, "I can get you help," or, "This is not the way," or something, but it's always a form of projection, because after all, Batman isn't getting help, his quack literally fucks with his head and tries to out his superhero identity in Hugo Strange, so really, like most of what Bruce does, he's just whispering to Harvey Dent or Edward Nygma or whatever what he whispered to himself with his parents dead: "Be responsible, do something, get help." But he never does. Just a permanent state of paralysis.

Edward Lygma

e: gently caress i should have read the very next post goddamn it