Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Bedlam posted:

RIP Lowtax. If you had thought to marry alcoholism you might have finally beaten it.

What a loving epitaph, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

I remember how excited I was to finally be able to join the forums, feeling like such a poser for not joining sooner. I was a 16 year old girl and this was but one of many terrible internet mistakes. I used to read Helldump the same way some women read true crime, trying to reverse-engineer the perfect way to be a girl on the internet without suffering horrible consequences. It probably had a lasting negative impact! But it also stopped me from posting a lot of really dumb poo poo in a lot of places online, not just here.

It seems like every internet creator twenty years ago had their own forum, in that time before comment sections, and every one of those forums ultimately turned on their creator. Even when I joined it seemed like the consensus was that Lowtax barely acknowledged or even liked the forums, and that it was better that way. I barely ever left a few niche megathreads, so it was really heartwarming a few years ago to think that the community was willing to take drastic steps to get rid of Nazis and come together to support a man suffering under the American healthcare system. It was a real disappointment to find out how much of that was horseshit.

I think we should bring back the Digg button but making clicking on it an automatic probe.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

May 17, 2006. A day that will live in infamy

Rereading now, it's really striking how relatively mild the criticism was.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

:sickos:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

DidSomebodySayFIB posted:

You can google me, it's got nothing to do with the current context.

okay

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

It feels poetic that the rip lowtax thread led to the purchase of an in-joke smiley no one will ever use again

My hope is that someone will buy a second smiley allowing us to extend the aaaaa indefinitely (but preferably this one would have a white border around the text making it readable on dark mode). This would encourage an ecosystem of screaming animals until one of them takes the crown as the favored screaming animal and the rest go ignored. Years later, when someone asks where the iconic screaming pigeon smiley came from, someone has to explain that we had a funeral for a fish in the Lowtax memorial thread.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mx. posted:

a tribute to lost friends

:screamy:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Moai Ou posted:

I'm mainly a lurker, but when I heard about the death, I thought I should post after finally catching up with the thread.

I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but I wish that I had. Honestly, I can't even think of a time we interacted online, but he definitely had an attractive presence.
I'll admit, he was flawed, and I truly wish his anger didn't have to continue after death.
Love him or hate him, there's no denying that he brought the forums together in his own way. I just hope he can finally find peace.

I'll miss you Screamy.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Reaganomicon posted:

that was me by the way. I registered a million dumb gimmick accounts like Magic 8 Ball and Triangle Guy as well as distinguished myself in the "want to bbe a moderator" thread as TastyArmageddon. i was maybe 16 and 50% dumber than I am now when i posted the dramatic suicide thread...

i still deal a lot with mental illness but i try to keep my breakdowns private now. i'm pretty sure he started charging money for accounts because of me, and so I don't know how much I had to do with whatever wealth Lowtax was receiving during SA's heydey, but it's weird to think about.

Yeah, he specifically cited you as the original reason for the paywall. I had no idea you were still around! I'm glad you're doing better.