Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I met Lowtax back before I even knew what SA was...had to be the summer of 2001? Some buddies of mine were on here and there was an SA- oriented "party" happening one weekend when I was back home and I got dragged along.

He was sold as an internet celebrity/legend who was witty beyond belief and so on. On meeting him, I thought he was kind of mean and sarcastic and seemed very unhappy, but that very specific way that you take your unhappiness and reflect it back out onto the world through snide comments and avoiding eye contact with everyone. The weirdest thing to me was there were several people at the party who were basically his entourage. It was seriously like he was the heavyweight champ: he had the 2000s internet equivalents of hype men and ring girls and everything.

I didn't think much about it for years afterwards and never really paid much attention to SA Forums News so it came as kind of a shock to discover last summer or whenever the lady-beating thing came to a head that he'd fallen on such hard times. Looking back it was clear lots of things about the guy were grossly unhealthy 20 years before, so much so we were even sort of aware of it at the time.

Imagine you have a personality disorder and unhealthy interest in drugs/alcohol at 23 or whatever, but you're so surrounded by people singing your praises you never even attempt to address any of it...and then the people abruptly melt away, and you're left only with yourself -- whom you actively hate -- and whomever you can con into spending time with you. Dude never stood a chance. Sad story all around.

Anyways hope all the various people he hurt over the years are doing well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU