Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

All joking aside.

Love goes to his family. Richard's family and kids will have to deal with this hardship and I hope they can find happiness, love, and peace in the future.

Given the history, I imagine most of Lowtax's family will be feeling a bittersweet sense of relief that its finally over and they can move on to whatever the next phase of recovery from trauma is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Well then. He was a good person who never did anything wrong, and anyone feeling any kind of mixed emotions at his passing is just a bad person. Only positivity allowed. Stiff upper lip. Repress anything else, its healthier that way

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

what was the final post of Lowtax?

Lowtax posted:

Okay I'll shut fyad back down again, I opened it up and got poo poo on, I'll close it back

btw you people claiming you know anything about my life are deluxe retarded

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Kaveman posted:

Lowtax is dead

Dead serious about not paying child support

:pusheen:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Didn't he also lie about getting visited by the FBI or secret service or whatever? Lol imagine believing a word this guy said

I mean I'm not happy he's dead, suicide is awful but still, he was a manipulative abuser and liar

Some goon ran a Freedom of Information request with the FBI for any filing mentioning Something Awful or Richard Kyanka or one or two other search terms and nothing popped. So either the death threat was so serious they had to lock the records up in the deep archives next to the Kennedy assassination confessions or Lowtax was lying to make himself look like a victim

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Somebody dug up the year old thread and bumped it without me having to do any work

bedpan posted:

What is the real story behind LF trying to kill a president?

I asked the United States Secret Service and they said "no records were located"

Did I not use the right words or should I have contacted the FBI?

Lowtax's claim, which can't be quoted directly because its not on the live forums I guess
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410745#post391439858

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Nov 12, 2021

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

vyelkin posted:

agreed 100%, my favourite thing about SA is that it's built for people and not for algorithms

SA isn't really built *for* anyone. It just kinda congealed out of questionable coding practices and neglect. ZDR and Jeff kept it going despite itself. I'm glad astral is finally being paid like a real professional to overhaul and replace the bailing wire and gum the forums run on without web 2.0ing it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

etalian posted:

That was one of my fav weird stories like how Lowtax didn't train for the fight while Uwe Boll did have some previous boxing experience.

Lowtax thought it would be a fun charity event with lots of mugging for the crowd and friendly shenanigans. Boll thought it was a boxing match and proceeded to beat Lowtax's rear end. Just maximum hilarity.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

Lmao you guys believe lowtax was telling Jeffrey the truth? The dude was a serial liar pill addict who killed himself to get out of child support. I'm not sure why old Jeffrey believes him or posted that but drat dudes stdh.txt

Nah, of all the dumb things this is the most believable. Rich companies were throwing money around in the 2000s trying to buy up popular sites so they could somehow monetize them later. None of it made any sense but it didnt have to. Somebody bought reddit and thought they could make it profitable! The rich are terminally stupid but sadly consequences do not apply to them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Yeah before anyone understood social media was going to be a thing, Lowtax probably thought that he'd be able to get the same or better offer later.

That or Lowtax thought he would be the one to figure out how to hit the next level on monetizing a message board and rake in the millions. If SA really was profitable back then he might have fooled himself into thinking he was the next great internet captain of industry

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hedenius posted:

News Corp bought MySpace for $580 million in 2005. I have no trouble believing that Lowtax would be deluded enough to think he’d get a better offer.

NO LOWBALLERS! I KNOW WHAT I HAVE!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Not Important posted:

Suicide because he didn't want to pay child support and alimony to the family members he abused and abandoned.

This is not a joke. Richard Kyanka shot himself to death because his divorce was finalized with a finding of domestic abuse (by him) and maliciously spending down savings to avoid child support. He left no note or final words for his children.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

there was a post in the memorial thread that I agree with which basically said Lowtax died a long, long time ago and what was left was a golem powered by spite and self-hatred, and now it has finally ceased to animate. this is perhaps unfairly dehumanizing to the man but he really did seem like a shadow of his former self

I watched like five minutes of his Gaming Garbage stuff, and maybe I got the worst five minutes or maybe he was doing a bit, but what there was felt in line with this

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Snake Dance posted:

The funniest part to me was how a bunch of the returning old-timers still post in the worst old-style way possible. Like, what have they been doing as the internet changed? If you decided to come back and poo poo on the forums for becoming SJWs then obviously you didn't mature and log off in the past 15 years. Did they just all move to some obscure subreddit where time stood still?

4chan, most likely

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Remember how it was ghoulish and terrible to celebrate Lowtax's death because he had kids, then it came out that he spent all the money and offed himself specifically to gently caress over his ex wife and kids?

I guess you could say that in the end, Lowtax really was Something Awful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

some guy that got his spinal column obliterated by uwe boll

I thought Uwe was being a jerk and taking a joke match too far at the time, but it turns out he was just delivering karma from the future ahead of schedule