Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

splifyphus posted:

in addition to bringing 3 children into a mass extinction event and then abandoning them, he was also a liberal

lmao

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Valko posted:

I'm actually going to make a serious post. I don't loving care what probes, bans or ridicules I loving get for it.

Lowtax was a volatile, unpredictable and deeply troubled man. I just want to get this out of the way first, he had a family and people in his personal life who cared about him. gently caress any posters dancing on his grave.

I've also noticed a stark change in the tone of the forums overall ever since he sold them. The sort of casual cruelty and mockery that I thought most of us had grown out of is rearing it's ugly loving head everywhere for the past year and a half.

What I'm trying to say is that maybe the threat of a crackpot coming in and making nonsensical decrees and random bans was the glue that kept this community together.

I also heard months ago that he was discussing suicide on discord, I even posted the screencaps in GBS. Everybody in that thread claiming they didn't care and ridiculing me for it. The man had children. They have already been through enough and most of them are old enough to be using the forums. How do you think they are going to feel about all the "Rest in piss, lol, gently caress da 'taxman!" jokes.

I woke up this morning to three lowtax related bans in the leper's colony. If we want this place to ever improve and move forward that number needs to be a lot higher.

It was the funniest thing lowtax did in years

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
The only thing lowtax didn’t beat was his alcoholism

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Snake Dance posted:

What did Kotaku know???

https://boingboing.net/2021/11/11/richard-lowtax-kyanka-dead-at-45.html

quote:

Richard Kyanka, better-known as Lowtax, died yesterday at 45. Kyanka was the founder and longtime operator of Something Awful, the sprawling web forum from which much web culture emerged. The news was announced there in a thread that quickly grew to hundreds of pages of bullshit before being summarily locked by admins—the perfect tribute.

lmao

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you know I take it back; I thought Michael Cera should play him in the biopic, but it's gotta be Johnny Knoxville

Looking forward to the forums version of The Social Network

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

fermun posted:

lmao, lowtax was offered $13 million dollars for somethingawful and he said no.
https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1459298630175801356

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNatmCHkI-Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Riot Bimbo posted:

I cried over lowtax when i found out about this