Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yadoppsi posted:

Another victim of the amerikkkan justice system

Sounds like he was desirable guy for women to be around!

Can't wait to deport her lazy rear end back to Canada!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Office Pig posted:

you know who else blew his brains out after losing a protracted conflict?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zegermans posted:

so did he suicide or just die of living the life of one of the worlds most disgusting goons

He offed himself before reaching the "youtube fat man" or Soni-chu level of life embarrassment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

kyoon alt account accurately predicting the future?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lollontee posted:

he killed himself within an hour of hearing he lost the court case on domestic violence against his former wife

lmao, all that tweet how he couldn't wait to ship off his lazy Thot "drama queen" wife to Canada via a deportation order and finally get custody of the kids from the marriage.

As we all know that SA forum Mods don't exactly have the best record in babysitting kids especially if they are TVIV mods.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zegermans posted:

He shot himself immediately after a judge forced him to discover that his delusion of being the real victim did not reflect reality.

The last tweet sure was a way to go out

-Rejoicing over his future full proof legal victory / can't wait to see her deported
-Implied that his wife was "hiding out" at women's shelter to gain sympathy/support the phony version of her story
-Rejoicing over his future victory despite how the above raised big red flags for any relationship

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shyduck posted:

I wonder how they calculated it. Had to have been partially based on the Patreon gravy train right? Or the site sale proceeds? This guy blew through a lot of dough, and then his head

Was the Lowtax Patreon account peaking out at around 100k+ a month?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This thread made me think of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCLk-2iArYc

Like how the person was shocked how someone was mean/vindictive during the marriage and act the same way during the divorce process.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shyduck posted:

Nowhere near, more like around $12-13k, but still a significant amount and put him in the top 25 of Patreon earners at the peak

Even that range worked out to 156k gross per year (pre-tax), so I wonder what he was spending his money in Missouri?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFdgwJ7Hm9Y

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

How much alimony/child support was he gonna have to pay? Dude hadn’t had a real job in decades. Where would he have even applied, let alone make enough for to support them and himself.

The whole story reminds me of the sad Notch stories after he sold Minecraft, like how Lowtax was raking in 6 figures with no actual work via Patreon account.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MLSM posted:

Looking forward to the forums version of The Social Network

which actress will get picked to portray the evil harpy ex wives roles?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

He's in the flour and grain game w satan now

Which circle of hell did end up at ?

I'm guessing the 5th circle.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vincent d'onofrio with the same look he had as in Full Metal Jacket

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm assuming there will be no follow on season pass for these levels?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

lost his punching bag and took it out on the only target left

If stay alive much longer he would have started posting in the MRA reddit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lollontee posted:

lowtax didnt od tho, he did an entirely different bad choice. like, opium addictions are shithole its hard to crawl out of and i got plenty of horrifying jokes about certain personal experiences, but you gotta admit the man offed himself cuz he couldnt face up to reality. and thats funny

The tweet seemed to indicate that he was 100% sure the court would rule in his favor.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So the moral of the story is we should probably take out a life insurance policy on Senior Fragmaster next?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Depressing ending but it's done by a Goon!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

goon projects never end well

so does the sa EULA still say we all get entombed with lowtax when he dies?

No but the EULA did say you will be obligated visit Lee Summitt to drop off Memorial Mangosteens on his grave.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

Didn't he also lie about getting visited by the FBI or secret service or whatever? Lol imagine believing a word this guy said

I mean I'm not happy he's dead, suicide is awful but still, he was a manipulative abuser and liar

FBI monitoring a sad has been website, even more so a random sub-forum sort of defied the common sense part of making a believable lie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LGD posted:

lmfao

yes, when we think back on SA's depredations, it will truly be Grover who suffered most and most undeservedly

A reminder that Grover believes that people in the military were obligated to salute him if he had a higher federal GS rank.

He also got home inspection license just so he could sign off on his ramshackle craftmanship at Groverhaus

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol he sounds p funny tbh

It was a good example of why it's sometimes best for Goons to not actually finish their projects / pipe dreams.

etalian has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Nov 11, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The one picture of him standing in a morass of concrete and swamp effluent, looking forlorn, is one of the things that carries me through the darkest of my days.

It is a work of art, the look of confusion on his face and the realization that mistakes were made.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm surprised that Comrade Fragmaster didn't commit suicide irl after being one of the early Your Console Sucks mod.

All the PTSD from having to lock another catgirl Oblivion mod thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.pcgamer.com/richard-lowtax-kyanka-founder-of-something-awful-and-onetime-king-of-the-internet-goons-dead-at-45/

quote:

But there was always a toxic side to Something Awful. Its members would brigade people and organise harassment campaigns. It encouraged some of the most base online behaviour imaginable and, when those groups became too toxic for even SA, they went off and founded sites that were way worse.

Kyanka's decision to ban hentai from SA led one individual to go off and found 4Chan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Travel back in time not to kill Baby Hitler.

But to convince Lowtax to allow Hentai/Monstergirl threads in a special sub-forum.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

Hot demon babes something something pegging spine

How would Lowtax be tormented in Hell?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe Lowtax faked his own death since he could take his millions of SA dollars overseas and make up a new fake identity?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fermun posted:

lmao, lowtax was offered $13 million dollars for somethingawful and he said no.
https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1459298630175801356

Lmao at how he didn't cash at the peak of traditional media companies trying to cash in on the next big thing

That's a lot of money for something that's basically a mix of poo poo posts and anime girl discussion threads.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Enver Zogha posted:

And yet it seems Smart is able to live a comfortable life despite his games not being great commercial hits, and as he's grown up he's mellowed out. Lowtax seemed to treat SA as his sole source of income (besides his parents) and his personality clearly did not improve as he grew older.

Derek Smart also seemed to be capable of introspection and also seemed amused by the roasting/attention he received for his B-movie like games.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

linoleum floors posted:

We'll always have your rear end getting beaten by Uwe boll

That was one of my fav weird stories like how Lowtax didn't train for the fight while Uwe Boll did have some previous boxing experience.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

conde nast was a lot better off buying reddit. trying to wrangle 2006 SA into something reddit sized now would never have worked.

Lowtax in this parallel universe would probably be like all those depressing Notch alone in mansion tweets.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The truest way to honor Lowtax's memory is to never update the goddamn front page.

also the forums being down

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

As lmao as this is, I think SA is probably way better of that this didn't happen, a corporate owner would have hosed with the vibes.

I know that's like saying "I'm glad our absentee landlord didn't sell this place, a corporate owner would have noticed this meth lab we have going." But it's true.

Conde Nast transition confused being confused browsing the anime girl pantsu and chemical treatments sub-forms.

What exactly did we buy for Web 2.0?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dreylad posted:

i never figured SA would outlive anyone let alone lowtax

Similar to feeling like how none of the Jackass stars died during their various movie stunts and sketches.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If you're going to ask any question that starts, 'Do you believe that Lowtax was so loving stupid that he'd ____', the answer is always yes.

The Money is in the Mangosteen Stand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azathoth posted:

that whole episode is such a unique insight into lowtax's mind

instead of doing loving anything to help make more money off the forums, he decided instead to try to leverage his internet fame with a penny ante mlm scam

The Mangosteen saga also ended in a juicy thread meltdown and lock

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2003