Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Colorfinger posted:

These two were me and Shmorky.

I enjoyed them very much, thank you for your work :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
the early streams he did with shmorky where they both played really bad games from yoyo or whatever were usually super funny tho i haven't watched any since the shmorky drama but i remember laughing a ton and i usually don't laugh at stuff so they proly still hold up

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i hear he did really good jackson pollack fanart

Pollock used a dripping technique, Lowtax did spraypainting

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Ramen Pride! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fFckkM5nnE

Thanks for the decades of Protection, Lowtax. Pak Chooie Unf. :smith:

Twenty years ago I was working for Dominos pizza when Lowtax put out word that he was going to be having a little get together at his apartment in Costa Mesa, CA, and that anyone could come. At the time, I worked for a store in Laguna Beach and offered to bring a few pizzas, which of course Lowtax accepted.

That's me at 1:29 in the blue shirt and beige pants getting shoved in the alley, and that's why there's a dominos pizza box on the table. Afterwards we all sat down to watch the Mystery Science Theater classic, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

the early streams he did with shmorky where they both played really bad games from yoyo or whatever were usually super funny tho i haven't watched any since the shmorky drama but i remember laughing a ton and i usually don't laugh at stuff so they proly still hold up

dontrel dolphin was the peak. too bad lowtax and shmorky turned out to be crazier than the guy who made it

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Robo Reagan posted:

dontrel dolphin was the peak. too bad lowtax and shmorky turned out to be crazier than the guy who made it

the yoyo games were definitely peak and of course the 1st video i pull up to watch from that era has this line from shmorky 3 seconds in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_MOjBae_uM

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

g0lbez posted:

the yoyo games were definitely peak and of course the 1st video i pull up to watch from that era has this line from shmorky 3 seconds in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_MOjBae_uM

There's actually a gaming garbage where rich makes fun of suicide victims, I'll see if i can find it. I'm sure some people would laugh at the irony at least.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Oh poo poo there's an entire murder the internet about suicide apparently. No way in hell I'm listening to that lol it's cursed now

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
This is what i was thinking of. To actually contribute to the thread i actually did find this video funny at some point. The suicide part always made me uncomfortable though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmlVroVwPPE

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Lowtax did a lot. Pak Chooie Unf. The early Gaming Garbage stuff with Shmorky (GEORGE GOT DEAD) and of course a lot of the Flash Tub (who did Cobra Commander for president? That one still kills me thinking about it) and lots of those surreal videos he did like Berry Watch, BEAN BAG CHAIR, and Flour and Grain.
Also SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY AT THE AWESOMEDOME.
I still find myself often saying 'X is nature's Y.'

Doom House of course needs no mention.

I also liked a lot of his older front page articles. The one where he's running for the mayor of Silent Hill or the one about how he's immortal and his advice for being immortal. Although obviously that last one has especially aged poorly.

I didn't have the privilege or misfortune of knowing Lowtax personally, or even really indirectly. I knew him only through his work and this site. So maybe he was always an abusive monster and just very good at hiding it, or maybe age and substance abuse brought out the worst in him. I don't know. He definitely got lazier and more uneven as time went on as an 'artist' though and yeah, he wasn't funny by the end, even putting aside what we knew about him.

I definitely feel like a lot of the goon revisionism saying Lowtax was never funny is not only sour grapes, but also kind of dangerous. Abusive and bad people can be and often are talented in other ways - it's part of how and why they are able to succeed in spite of their character flaws. By convincing ourselves retroactively that Lowtax was never funny, we leave ourselves open to the next time we encounter some talented rear end in a top hat. 'Oh, but they're so funny/skilled/talented! There's no way they can be bad!'

Lowtax was once funny. He was also an abusive piece of poo poo's who's last act in life was a selfish act of spite at his family. These are both true things, and that sucks.

This site made me a better person, and provided me with lots of laughs over the years - some from Lowtax, most from others. I'd say it's the best 10 bucks I ever spent, but my account was a gift from a friend so uh, it's the best 10 bucks I ever had spent on my behalf.

Lowtax's kids seemed funny in the few videos they were in (I forget which one it was where he says 'remember when games were good?' and without skipping a beat she just answers 'No.') and they seem to have mothers who care about them. I wish them the best. Lowtax may have been a lovely father, but he was still their father, and I know firsthand that even when you know you shouldn't, it's really hard to not love and feel for family members.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

g0lbez posted:

the yoyo games were definitely peak and of course the 1st video i pull up to watch from that era has this line from shmorky 3 seconds in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig8xky-3Gkk

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SolarFire2 posted:

That's me at 1:29 in the blue shirt and beige pants getting shoved in the alley

You blew it

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

SolarFire2 posted:

Twenty years ago I was working for Dominos pizza when Lowtax put out word that he was going to be having a little get together at his apartment in Costa Mesa, CA, and that anyone could come. At the time, I worked for a store in Laguna Beach and offered to bring a few pizzas, which of course Lowtax accepted.

That's me at 1:29 in the blue shirt and beige pants getting shoved in the alley, and that's why there's a dominos pizza box on the table. Afterwards we all sat down to watch the Mystery Science Theater classic, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Haha, That's awesome!

The part at the end where Lowtax's cat has decided it has had enough of all the nonsense and gets the hell out of there is my favorite part of the whole thing. :D

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Lowtax made me think I could be a humor writer, and I mean that like "he had a tone that I thought I could mimic", not "he was so bad it seemed easy to be better than him".

Fragmaster
Dec 1, 2000

nerdshoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_J9n8mgQaY

I'm mostly in this one but it's a Lowtax idea and he did all the crazy camera-work and editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EQc-W9gJc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgr37wgZ5g

Probably my favorite voice/character to do is Nick Q. so I'm sad I'll probably never do that again. Steal of the Century was the most fun to film with him because since it was so low effort to edit/improvised, probably more than 60% of the videos we filmed actually got released, whereas it seems like the majority of our stupid video projects never actually got finished. The more effort we put into the script, the less likely it was going to get released. Off the top of my head, Mood House is the only scripted thing I think we did that got finished.

There were various other unfinished things, I think he posted a teaser for Doom House 3 which I had done scenes for even fairly recently (2 years ago?) but I'm guessing that probably never got done because he couldn't make it funny enough with the footage he had. I'm not interested though in trying to finish all his various unfinished stuff though... he has enough stuff out there.

And thanks SolarFire for that post, Costa Mesa/Bristol wooooo

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

Fragmaster posted:

There were various other unfinished things, I think he posted a teaser for Doom House 3 which I had done scenes for even fairly recently (2 years ago?) but I'm guessing that probably never got done because he couldn't make it funny enough with the footage he had. I'm not interested though in trying to finish all his various unfinished stuff though... he has enough stuff out there.

2019 matches up with when he started asking me to write music for Doom House 3.

also hi, I hope you are doing well, you were always my favorite internet nerd / housewarming guest.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
my favorite thing he created was the splatter of blood on the ceiling when he blew his wife beating brains out

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i loved this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PEhUB2U1dc&t=38s

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 12, 2021

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

zoomzip did that one! He's an awesome dude.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Am i imagining things or was Lowtax one of the first people to talk about how amazing/crazy the game Deadly Premonition was?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My friends and I were huge fans of The Flash Tub and the era of Gaming Garbage when Lowtax and Shmorky were still on good terms and not completely off the deep end. Regardless of their terrible off-screen personal lives and choices, I do believe they were genuinely a good comedy duo. Once Shmorky was out of the picture it was pretty clear that Lowtax wasn't funny without other funny people to bounce off of and his videos just got more and more sad and pathetic. I finally unsubscribed when the Yikesaroo stuff dropped last year.

The Flash Tub was much more Shmorky's work than Lowtax, but Lowtax had his hand in many of them. A lot of it has been lost but a decent amount has been uploaded to YouTube by Lowtax and others. I don't really feel like going through and posting specifics I guess. I liked that they always subverted flash cartoon tropes, which is interesting to think about because while that form of entertainment is now basically dead, it was once popular enough to even be subverted. I also enjoyed that they had some running gags and recurring characters.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Looking back on it, I think what really worked when Rich did these videos with you and others was his bad salesman routine. His cadence, his voice, his mannerisms, even how you know he's improving when he trips over words or has no idea what he's going to say next but it somehow adds to it - they all served together in the greater whole of the entire sketch

I mean, look at this. You two were clearly having fun and Rich had no idea what the hell he was selling, only that he was selling it. You both had an incredible energy playing off each other. I'm thinking back to the Hooray! It's Salad video, flour and grain and the Ron Paul ones. When he played it off as a bad salesman pitch, for me it really really worked. They were videos I would watch multiple times and still laugh each time

Idk I know Rich was haunted by a million demons. I just wonder what he could have been if he was able to control them because there were a lot of times he was legitimately funny and videos like these show what he could do if given the right situation

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I thought a lot of the creative stuff Lowtax did was really funny, but after I learned about his behaviour towards his wives and partners last year, I could no longer enjoy any of it. His passing away actually makes me feel more like I can go back and visit and enjoy some of that stuff again. Not sure if that makes me a bad person. It's weird to have conflicting feelings about someone I never knew and never met.

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

Cliff Yablonski updates were a true source of joy for me when I was a teenager. I think they still hold up.

Also, MegaBop 1996

ataridc
Aug 30, 2005

RIP Rich. Dont know much about your personal life or particularly care, but your site made being a lonely teen on the internet in the early 2000s a little more funny and tolerable.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I always loved the legal threat content, and Leonard J. Crabs.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Suspekt Device posted:

Cliff Yablonski updates were a true source of joy for me when I was a teenager. I think they still hold up.

Also, MegaBop 1996

thats pretty funny

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Colorfinger posted:

zoomzip did that one! He's an awesome dude.

I think I still have all of my zoomzip remixes on one of my backup drives somewhere

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bagmonkey posted:

I think I still have all of my zoomzip remixes on one of my backup drives somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdEL1BIiUeg I even have one on my Youtube apparently

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.
Requesting Frags Castelvania Stephanometra battlerap and/or Fragmaster and sister doing Rush Hour.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost
there was that one time he gaslighted a woman and put on his wizard robes and hat. That was funny when I was 16.

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
my favorite thing is when he was doing the first episode of the Cry of Fear LP and the screen goes black and he goes "this is the color black" and then the screen goes white and he goes "this is the color white" and I laughed rly hard. I'm glad he's dead tho

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost

Barco Fiesta posted:

my favorite thing is when he was doing the first episode of the Cry of Fear LP and the screen goes black and he goes "this is the color black" and then the screen goes white and he goes "this is the color white" and I laughed rly hard. I'm glad he's dead tho

anybody else remeber Khad?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLJWzJ6KPuM

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
Here's a little bit of drrrrrrrama to spice up the thread.... Well, not drama, but just yet another example of Youtube being run by copyright trolls.

I didn't mention it, but when I uploaded my horrible glitched copy of Lowtax's ARC "Deviation" to youtube for the OP, the horrible algorithm flagged the music content as belonging to "Yansın Dünya and the company "Netd Müzik Video Dijital Platform Ve Ticaret A.Ş". Since when I messaged Lowtax my dredged up copy of the ancient vid he got a kick out of it, and had generally gave me the green light to riff on or use his stuff in the past, (Like horrible stories and comics and shirts of SHOVAR ROBOT I've never really done anything with, etc.) I contested it as having permission from the creator. But I hate contesting stuff because if my youtube channel got taken down and I lost all the Halloween videos I made with my kids over the years, I would be -absolutely- crushed. So being a typical antediluvian misfit Goon I've had a bit of anxiety as the dispute process started churning.

I could have just uploaded the video and agreed and sucked it up with the troll company slapping ads all over it... but doing that didn't seem right. Really, my little protest might help out SA and Jeff, since they probably are the current legal owner of all the old SA stuff, and I imagine won't like the discovery that copyright trolls are out there slurping up the rights to SA content.

Anyway, I was delighted to get a comment from a fellow called Cheat Sheet, who had been inspired to upload a cleaner, non-glitched, whole copy of the Deviation video! HOOORAY! I think having two obviously separate copies of the same work with the same watermark from the same creator really should be very helpful with this dispute.

Here's Cheat Sheet's version... it has the complete end montage and everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpFUTKDMFso

Thanks Cheat Sheet! :D

Also... here's a Wayback Machine link to the earliest example I could find of SA hosting Lowtax's ARC work.

""Deviation"
Download - 8.94 megs
Description: Dark soundtrack from the video entitled (strangely enough) "Deviation". One of my first songs, made back in 1996." -archived NOVEMBER 10, 2000/10:39:00

https://web.archive.org/web/20001109191200/http://www.somethingawful.com/mp3/

I wonder what other stuff from ancient SA copyright trolls have attempted to slurp up? I find the idea very disheartening.

Ramen Pride! fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 14, 2021

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

CannonFodder posted:

taoc teh wodner douhg was someone else.

A really really old video was The Big Day. Lowtax and I'm guessing some SoCal goons or Planetquake people were sitting around an office lounge, saying stuff like "It's the BIG DAY" and "I can't believe it's the BIG DAY" and this was cut with scenes of some punk rock looking dude in combat boots running through alleys. It all ended with pick rock dude, forums user bitter_HATE, running into the office and quickly beating up everyone.

Dumb silly humor and the joke is just "They got beat up on THE BIG DAY lol"

The Big Day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fFckkM5nnE

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
I always liked Garbage Day w/ Shmorky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9qSWjH4FSE

also should someone rip all of his gaming garbage videos in case youtube shuts it down? there's so many videos though... :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Nap Ghost