Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

What are Aspect Phylactery used for? The website says to force your next attack to use an aspect special, but there has to be a cost, right? Is it a one time use item?

it's one time use and the cooldown is one hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
If you've ever wondered if you should play this game, watch this video

https://streamable.com/jpi663

If that doesn't convince you, nothing will

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

kumba posted:

God drat, lol

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

kumba posted:

haha holy poo poo, after seeing that if anyone has any iron ingots lying around ill take them. time to buy some tinker tools.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Trapped paragon chests are just magnets

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
This takes "mad bombing" to a whole new level. Amazing.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
I just came across this… too funny.

https://youtu.be/57gG1_kCDlU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

jiffynuts posted:

haha you beat me to it, this one is also extremely good, made by one of my guild mates!

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009
If anyone wants to roleplay an orc , you can come join Bloodrock Clan. Very freakin active and helpful.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

kumba posted:

haha you beat me to it, this one is also extremely good, made by one of my guild mates!

Tell them they did a great job on the He-Man clothing/dye combo. Looks sweet!

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
New stealing changes aren't horrible! Also PvM stealing is semi-useful too!
Housing market still sucks!
People are jerks!
Crafting resources are going up in price thanks to boat updates so now is a really good time to sell to fund your characters.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Whats stealing like on Outlands? Versus monster, versus player, and versus people at the bank?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yes to all of those, though town stealing is hard because NPCs can notice you stealing and if they do it's an instant guard whack.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Started to play this a little bit again, can confirm that it's still worth playing and hopefully the PvP patch will make it a little more interesting.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

Whats stealing like on Outlands? Versus monster, versus player, and versus people at the bank?

They just introduced PvM stealing recently - people seem to like it a lot

PvP stealing is alive and well, you can get into some real shenanigans. The only thing that isn't really possible here that I miss from the 98-01 OSI era is disarm stealing, but you can definitely steal people's poo poo and bait them into attacking you if you want, or steal and run, or hang out in vendor houses and pilfer high-value items, etc

Versus people at the bank - still happens, but banks are nowhere near as populated as you might expect on this shard (outside of Prevalia, at least) and you're unlikely to find much of value. Most people hang out in their own homes / guildhouses so you don't see a whole ton of bank sitters. There's also certain areas that are basically impossible to steal due to the volume of NPCs packed into a small area which guarantees you'll get spotted, and there's a mechanic that causes your stealing success chance in towns to go down over time as you get caught

This is one of the videos that got me into Outlands - it's from a year ago so some of it is dated, but you can see some of the systems here and it shows off some fun gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_EIbq-1JBw

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Im not playing right now but when I was I would often stealth around with 3 accounts and 3 thieves, either near each other or at separate locations. Between dungeons, towns, and vendor houses, there is a lot of stealing opportunities.

Snatching cores or commodity deeds will never get old.

You can even build old school thug type thieves to instigate an attack after flagging and then come back and get all the loot.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think I might have the bug.

I want to do a smith/fighter combo, because that's how I used to roll. I could take the lumber/miner template and replace lumberjack with blacksmithing and sword with mace and it should work out, right?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Freakazoid_ posted:

I want to do a smith/fighter combo, because that's how I used to roll. I could take the lumber/miner template and replace lumberjack with blacksmithing and sword with mace and it should work out, right?

While it can work, the damage bonus from blacksmith is smaller than the other supplemental damage skills, and blacksmith is, aside from carpentry, the single most expensive skill to raise. I would strongly recommend avoiding blacksmith if you're new, as the money you'd spend raising it would get you several orders of magnitude more power spent elsewhere. I've been playing here for about a year and while I'm not like 1%er rich, I am quite well off, and even I have not even really thought about doing blacksmithing yet.

The best ways to start out are, roughly in order of effort:

find yourself a sugar daddy or a guild to give you a bunch of poo poo
scavenging in dungeons for leather, gold, and items people leave behind
lumber/mining and selling commodity deeds

if you need help starting out, we got you!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I logged my ingots used to reach 100 blacksmithing and it was 135,000 iron ingots from 50 points of smithing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Gildiss posted:

Yeah I logged my ingots used to reach 100 blacksmithing and it was 135,000 iron ingots from 50 points of smithing.

Sounds about right! And i've heard it's roughly another 110-135k ingots from 100-120, so you're looking at ~2m to 100 and another ~2m to 120, for a grand total of ~4m spent :science:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Sounds about as hard as it was to get gm blacksmith in t2a. That's not the part that bothers me. I just want to know what pvm content I'm limited to, or if it'll ever be enough to fight off pks.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Freakazoid_ posted:

Welcome back to the MMO GOAT. :)

You could whip up a chivalry build -
Chiv to 95 or 100 (95 gives you moongate spell)
Weapon skill
Tactics
Gm music, discordance, peacemaking

That gives you one more skill to work on, like parry or resist. You don’t have to take up barding and instead go more offensive with arms lore etc.

I made a friar (2h staff) with the above build and took tracking. Gives me an extra 20 or 25% damage buff. Very easy to macro up most of the skills and you can start cruising dungeons for gold.

My recommendation is make two accounts, put one character there, and put a miner/crafter on the second. You can macro up the skills on the fighter while you go out and mine or chop trees or whatever. You’re allowed 3 simultaneous accounts per ip.

[Edit] I just realized the chivalry book is 150k gold
From the npc vendor. I’ve heard it’s sold by players too for like 15k or so but you’d have to look around. On the upside, 5000 ingots will net you 75-80k, so that’s pretty good money that’s not too terrible to get.

jiffynuts fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 12, 2022

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Sounds about as hard as it was to get gm blacksmith in t2a. That's not the part that bothers me. I just want to know what pvm content I'm limited to, or if it'll ever be enough to fight off pks.

Due to how the aspects work you'll want to have separate crafting/pvm/pvp characters on Outlands. Your miner will run tracking and recall before any PK gets to you basically.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I can't decide if Arms Law's Disarm is worth it. It only last 10 seconds and that's if you don't wiff your swing. You could have camping, tracking, or forensic evaluation instead. Or even Anatomy if you don't have that in a template for damage and extra heals.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dante posted:

Due to how the aspects work you'll want to have separate crafting/pvm/pvp characters on Outlands. Your miner will run tracking and recall before any PK gets to you basically.

Alright. I gave my hybrid build a spin on shelter island but I can kinda tell that it's not performing as well as I think it should.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

I can't decide if Arms Law's Disarm is worth it. It only last 10 seconds and that's if you don't wiff your swing. You could have camping, tracking, or forensic evaluation instead. Or even Anatomy if you don't have that in a template for damage and extra heals.

80 Arms lore gives you disarm which is 25% (multiplicative) damage with roughly 1/3 uptime and 8% weapon special

80 camping/tracking/etc gives 20% (additive) damage

80 anatomy gives I think 16% (additive) + almost doubles your finisher proc chance, and better heals if you have healing

On a bard echo I recently traded arms lore for tracking to see how it was and it felt pretty significantly worse damage wise. Arms lore is going to end up pulling better numbers for most templates (only exceptions I can think of are provo archers and maybe poison dexxers), and raw damage wise out farming anatomy is also better than camping etc, but if the other perks matter to you more then of course the world is your oyster!

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
For gold mining is fairly lucrative. 5,000 iron is aprox 2 hours of mining for 75k on average. It's popped up over 83k during the week. It's relatively safe as well, just make sure you have a rune book open at all times and track up.
Lumberjacking takes far less time due to boards being light but sells slower. Less likely to get caught on a wall or in a cave though.

deano
Sep 6, 2000

ummm bit of weridness with trying to multi account, no matter what i put in for my 2nd i get a password incorrect when trying to make a 2nd account, i did play before but this is a fresh install and diffrent ip first account worked fine, no vpn just wondering wtf how do you get multi accountsa up.

Having another go, got a mace/peace newb started if theres as a guild still going or a discord, im all ears.

nerox
May 20, 2001

deano posted:

ummm bit of weridness with trying to multi account, no matter what i put in for my 2nd i get a password incorrect when trying to make a 2nd account, i did play before but this is a fresh install and diffrent ip first account worked fine, no vpn just wondering wtf how do you get multi accountsa up.

Having another go, got a mace/peace newb started if theres as a guild still going or a discord, im all ears.

If you are making a second account and getting password incorrect, then someone must have already made an account with that name.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
This is some pretty interesting patch notes from the test server.

https://forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/dungeon-overhaul-testing-patch.4162/

New aggro updates, monster difficulty, murder counts. I’m liking the proposed taming updates too. Increased passive gains to 5, and increased chance of skill gain. Personally, I’d love to see passive taming gains a permanent thing. Just let me use my pets and get skill while doing so.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Hoping the dungeon changes help with PKs going after us lowbies.

nerox
May 20, 2001

jiffynuts posted:

This is some pretty interesting patch notes from the test server.

https://forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/dungeon-overhaul-testing-patch.4162/

New aggro updates, monster difficulty, murder counts. I’m liking the proposed taming updates too. Increased passive gains to 5, and increased chance of skill gain. Personally, I’d love to see passive taming gains a permanent thing. Just let me use my pets and get skill while doing so.

Looks like the most efficient way of raising taming will be to tame from X0.0 to X1.7, which should give 3.4 passive taming points. Then take your pet to SSC and just have it tag mobs people are killing to the next breakpoint. With 100% increased rate of gain and the amount you fail early in that tier of minimum skill, its going to be really fast.

What made taming so slow is that actually succeeding the tame slowed you down so much since you have to release the animal, kill it, and wait for a new spawn.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
How do you get the necromancy book on test server? I heard there is a necromancer npc you can buy it from but I've no idea where.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

How do you get the necromancy book on test server? I heard there is a necromancer npc you can buy it from but I've no idea where.

there's one in the basement of prev library just NW of west prev bank

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

jiffynuts posted:

this video gave me anxiety lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
right at the top of covid i logged on to UO outlands to find my house decayed and myself standing in the woods. instantly logged off and didnt return. but now ive felt the urge. a powerful urge. to log on.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
remember when we had bad computers and you'd lag when you died and the backpack close sounds would repeat when you grey screened. jesus christ.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
2004 ipy forums avatar...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Where's a good place to farm hides? Looking for a more relaxing UO experience this time around so I figure I'll do my tailor finally. Kinda fun doing the forensics, can't wait for the Grandmaster Detective fame title =D

Also, I can usually find room for 8x8 somewhere regardless of server age or congestion, spent a while running around last night and didn't find anything. Anyone have an eyeball on likelihood of finding a crumby spot anymore? the thought of renting an apartment in a video game is too depressing to endure lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Shadowspire Cathedral and Nusero were where I did all my hide gathering that I used to GM Tailoring.

Doubt you’ll find a spot for a house, best chance is buying or fighting for an idoc.