Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NJersey posted:

Shadowspire Cathedral and Nusero were where I did all my hide gathering that I used to GM Tailoring.

Bummer that it required dungeoning. I'd rather do overland poo poo but I guess that's slow going on this server. Back in the day you'd just go to ice isle and kill polar bears.

NJersey posted:

Doubt you’ll find a spot for a house, best chance is buying or fighting for an idoc.

drat bummer. no way im doing the idoc disco but the thought of paying 500k for a 8x8 is hosed up.

i read the patch notes about the hardcore penalty for pking on the noob dungeon floors, did that have any bearing on the frequency of which they're getting cleared by pks? i don't have tracking on my tailor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
On this server, with the pvm stealing, I just made a thief with forensic eval and ran around skinning corpses and stealing from monsters being killed by players. My tailor just sat in my inn room. I was getting something like 5k leather per run towards the end. Make sure you have camping for the weight increase.

500k? lol that may buy you a caravan, more like 1-1.5mil for 8x8's. At least from what I see on the realtor npc.

There have been times where when I was starting my current character some pkers would just run past me when killing the weaker mobs but it's UO so people are gonna kill ya. I can say though that most of them seem poo poo, been attacked like 4-5 times in the past two weeks or so and never died. Always made it to the gate laughing at them. The groups are trouble.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NJersey posted:

On this server, with the pvm stealing, I just made a thief with forensic eval and ran around skinning corpses and stealing from monsters being killed by players. My tailor just sat in my inn room. I was getting something like 5k leather per run towards the end. Make sure you have camping for the weight increase.

500k? lol that may buy you a caravan, more like 1-1.5mil for 8x8's. At least from what I see on the realtor npc.

There have been times where when I was starting my current character some pkers would just run past me when killing the weaker mobs but it's UO so people are gonna kill ya. I can say though that most of them seem poo poo, been attacked like 4-5 times in the past two weeks or so and never died. Always made it to the gate laughing at them. The groups are trouble.

agreed. im not exactly a noob. i have a bard / summoner whos pretty strong. i got up to aspect 3 lyric when it was super expensive and the reqs to pump it up were much higher. not super high but i farmed a lot of inferno. i liked farming there, it was pretty safe and there wasnt a bunch of poo poo spawn that seems rife on this shard. i have a lot of xp pvping and used to be a good duelist. it was fun earlier in the shard running my hally mage around dungeons looking for noob reds and killing them just by virtue of having pots and knowing how to control monster agro / use stone wall. my house collapsed and i lost all my poo poo tho. sucks. seems easy to live with red gates if you have some gheal pots and boom boxes. even a macro to pop and in jux the same pouch seemed sufficient.

the thief idea is cool, sounds fun. back on uo redemption (abyss reborn? i forget) i had a lot of fun with a stealth dungeon picker but i remember reading that the timers were all jacked up here. i think i'll take you up on the thief forensic toon. doesn't the tailor itself need forensic? maybe can just macro that hidden somewhere corpses get generated? macro it with summon creature? lol. =D

thanks for replying and such. hard to find good uo discourse on forums and i dont like discord. full of creeps and weirdos.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Oh lol, I just default to assuming someone is new when talking about UO.
Cavernam has been my spot on this server. I like the layout and it's easy to avoid pks.

Yea dungeon chests aren't worth it yet but I think they plan on changing them and making them worth while. I don't think tailors need forensic for anything but it's possible you need it to craft something I guess. Pretty sure it'd be drat hard to macro forensic, macro resource gathering at your own risk. A lot has probably changed since you've been gone so I'd say it might be worth joining the outlands discord, it's the easiest way to get info. The wiki is still outdated or missing info on a bunch of poo poo. I'm happy to answer questions but I'm still learning.

always fun to talk about uo and yea especially with normal people lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NJersey posted:

Oh lol, I just default to assuming someone is new when talking about UO.
Cavernam has been my spot on this server. I like the layout and it's easy to avoid pks.

Yea dungeon chests aren't worth it yet but I think they plan on changing them and making them worth while. I don't think tailors need forensic for anything but it's possible you need it to craft something I guess. Pretty sure it'd be drat hard to macro forensic, macro resource gathering at your own risk. A lot has probably changed since you've been gone so I'd say it might be worth joining the outlands discord, it's the easiest way to get info. The wiki is still outdated or missing info on a bunch of poo poo. I'm happy to answer questions but I'm still learning.

always fun to talk about uo and yea especially with normal people lol

sucks about dungeon chests.

my old bard/summoner sucks rear end now. big mobs do bard break every 5 seconds and the new summons arent as good. ancient summons w. the soul stones or w/e seemed way stronger. i used to be able to clear inferno and now they're spawning on top of me.

gonna make a vintage style summon/mage with eval and eldritch. skip the barding and expensive lyric. not gonna gently caress with necro since it's "new fangled" to me and I don't want to do it due to purity. e: and scribe for the double eldritch bonus. i would like to see some large flamestrike numbers.

took me an over an hour to farm up 20k last night. gently caress sakes.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 30, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
back on uo redemption i had a tamer with 2 maxed out drags named Phylokrastyr and Telemarketer and I miss them more every day.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There was a big shake-up a few weeks ago with pvm, you'll find the game's just overall harder. Nobody can solo level 3 of any dungeon.

And if you're worried about making money, get a red hand thief going. Or start gathering as many iron ingots as you can, there's a speculation bubble happening based on the upcoming removal of scripted movement.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 30, 2022

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Freakazoid_ posted:

There was a big shake-up a few weeks ago with pvm, you'll find the game's just overall harder. Nobody can solo level 3 of any dungeon.

And if you're worried about making money, get a red hand thief going. Or start gathering as many iron ingots as you can, there's a speculation bubble happening based on the upcoming removal of scripted movement.

The pvm shakeup changed a lot about pretty much every mob everywhere and it's definitely substantially harder, but there are plenty of people that can solo level 3s still. The power required is irrefutably higher but it's certainly achievable with a bunch of different builds

Mining is definitely a huge moneymaker especially if you can stomach babysitting scripting 3 of them at once, and they tend to sell pretty fast

Smythe posted:

sucks about dungeon chests.

my old bard/summoner sucks rear end now. big mobs do bard break every 5 seconds and the new summons arent as good. ancient summons w. the soul stones or w/e seemed way stronger. i used to be able to clear inferno and now they're spawning on top of me.

gonna make a vintage style summon/mage with eval and eldritch. skip the barding and expensive lyric. not gonna gently caress with necro since it's "new fangled" to me and I don't want to do it due to purity. e: and scribe for the double eldritch bonus. i would like to see some large flamestrike numbers.

took me an over an hour to farm up 20k last night. gently caress sakes.

I haven't played a pet build since the shakeup but yeah I did hear that pets got hit pretty hard. With the right build though earth eles should still be tanky enough to survive most things without spam healing - Spirit Pact/Corporeal Tether/Grounded/Stonewall is my favorite earth ele build for max survivability, and with enough eldritch you'll get more points to work with beyond that (I"d go for Earthpull at 30)

Necro is really good even if you don't use the necro pets, the poison necro build is still probably the most broken (relatively accessible) one in the game even after the nerfs

e: if you want build advice feel free to post your build or ask!!

kumba fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 30, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I see. Seems to me there's a lot of power creep with the codex books and people stacking the chain links or whatever. guess they'll have to keep cranking the difficulty forever. i watched a stream of some chiv townie and he was putting out insane numbers. but then he also died in 1 frame to an elder vampire twice and then got pkd so... tanking mobs yourself still seems vulnerable. there was also an air aspect guy with a q staff farming near me last night who was doing wild damage.

kumba posted:

I haven't played a pet build since the shakeup but yeah I did hear that pets got hit pretty hard. With the right build though earth eles should still be tanky enough to survive most things without spam healing - Spirit Pact/Corporeal Tether/Grounded/Stonewall is my favorite earth ele build for max survivability, and with enough eldritch you'll get more points to work with beyond that (I"d go for Earthpull at 30)

Necro is really good even if you don't use the necro pets, the poison necro build is still probably the most broken (relatively accessible) one in the game even after the nerfs

e: if you want build advice feel free to post your build or ask!!

i dont have a summoners tome so i dont have any of those neat passives. dont think im going to buy one either since im not interested in leveling this toon beyond making money to finance my next.

i got all my mining out of my system on uo gamers hybrid with the famed mumbling miner easyUO script. not doing that again lol.

i think im going to try

mage
med
eval
resist
scribe
spirit speak
track

eldritch aspect

i wish could drop track for wrestle (for endurance) or tasteid for mana regen but its too handy for pk avoidance. idk i just want a classic themed, durable farming toon who can crit big numbers for my enjoyment and level the aspect for a reasonable price.

my current is

mage
med
spirit speak
track
music
discord
peacemaking

lyric aspect (also i leveled it up last night with no mats, and its indicating the next level is also no mats. only xp. is this making up for the assload i dumped into it before the requirements got lowered? that would be so neat)

and peacemaking seems nerfed to hell. as the jewel of barding i dont think its worth it for 300+ skill pts unless its at 120 with high lyric aspect and thats just too drat expensive to justify. its also dog boring to play and the character is fragile with no resist or wrestle.

heres a silly question: since there's no newbie lanterns or daggers what do farmers use to voluntarily interrupt their casts? i keep spamming my hally button but i have no hally.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

I see. Seems to me there's a lot of power creep with the codex books and people stacking the chain links or whatever. guess they'll have to keep cranking the difficulty forever. i watched a stream of some chiv townie and he was putting out insane numbers. but then he also died in 1 frame to an elder vampire twice and then got pkd so... tanking mobs yourself still seems vulnerable. there was also an air aspect guy with a q staff farming near me last night who was doing wild damage.

i dont have a summoners tome so i dont have any of those neat passives. dont think im going to buy one either since im not interested in leveling this toon beyond making money to finance my next.

i got all my mining out of my system on uo gamers hybrid with the famed mumbling miner easyUO script. not doing that again lol.

i think im going to try

mage
med
eval
resist
scribe
spirit speak
track

eldritch aspect

i wish could drop track for wrestle (for endurance) or tasteid for mana regen but its too handy for pk avoidance. idk i just want a classic themed, durable farming toon who can crit big numbers for my enjoyment and level the aspect for a reasonable price.

my current is

mage
med
spirit speak
track
music
discord
peacemaking

lyric aspect (also i leveled it up last night with no mats, and its indicating the next level is also no mats. only xp. is this making up for the assload i dumped into it before the requirements got lowered?, that would be so neat)

and peacemaking seems nerfed to hell. as the jewel of barding i dont think its worth it for 300+ skill pts unless its at 120 with high lyric aspect and thats just too drat expensive to justify. its also dog boring to play and the character is fragile with no resist or wrestle.

heres a silly question: since there's no newbie lanterns or daggers what do farmers use to voluntarily interrupt their casts? i keep spamming my hally button but i have no hally.

A summoners tome is only like 60k-70k and is necessary for your Eldritch build anyway, you can transfer the tome between characters (though the xp doesn't transfer) - It makes your pets an order of magnitude more powerful and is too good to pass up on any summoner

Also on a summoner I'd suggest Provo instead of Peace at least while you're playing Summoner Bard, it's a lot more interesting to play and you have pets to tank already so most of the benefit of it is kinda wasted anyway. I find Provo way more fun, Peace is boring cruise control. Do you have a bard codex / wizard grimoire as well?

As far as spell cancelling: there's a built-in razor macro for that you can bind to a key

kumba fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 30, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

kumba posted:

A summoners tome is only like 60k-70k and is necessary for your Eldritch build anyway, you can transfer the tome between characters (though the xp doesn't transfer) - It makes your pets an order of magnitude more powerful and is too good to pass up on any summoner

Also on a summoner I'd suggest Provo instead of Peace at least while you're playing Summoner Bard, it's a lot more interesting to play and you have pets to tank already so most of the benefit of it is kinda wasted anyway. I find Provo way more fun, Peace is boring cruise control. Do you have a bard codex / wizard grimoire as well?

As far as spell cancelling: there's a built-in razor macro for that you can bind to a key

i dont wanna play the bard no more!! but i hear you on the codex and grim. will get.

quote:

i meant while youre bowing. ill just tink a lantern in the meantime i guess

many thanks for the review and advice!

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
drat, just saw in a stream that apparently there is a 15 minute to 2 hour window until placing at an IDOC is allowed.

Nice mechanic, in my opinion. Prevents the guy with the fastest ping/script whatever from getting it, I guess.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

NJersey posted:

drat, just saw in a stream that apparently there is a 15 minute to 2 hour window until placing at an IDOC is allowed.

Nice mechanic, in my opinion. Prevents the guy with the fastest ping/script whatever from getting it, I guess.

It's still the person with the best script & luck getting it most of the time, but better than it just being immediate yeah

When an IDOC is announced, a timer starts. The house can't fall until minute 15 on that timer, and will fall before minute 60.

After the house falls, that timer resets to 0. The placement window will open up at some point between minute 15 and minute 60 on the new timer, giving you a chance to stash whatever loot you may have gotten and go get your house deed(s). At this point it's just "whoever happens to try and place soonest after placement becomes possible" which is at a random time

It's not perfect but it's a better solution than most

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Also, half of the IDOC loot( I forget the exact mechanics) goes to the IDOC lottery, you can buy tickets and win those items.

They're doing a commendable job adding gold sinks attempting to manage the economy.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Did this game lose like 50% of its population or are they just hanging out elsewhere? What the hell happened, Prevalia seems pretty dead in comparison to last year.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

hobocrunch posted:

Did this game lose like 50% of its population or are they just hanging out elsewhere? What the hell happened, Prevalia seems pretty dead in comparison to last year.

Usually still see around 2500 people/accounts online when they periodically post it.

No one really hangs out at banks anymore unless you’re just advertising, dungeons and wilderness still full of people.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

hobocrunch posted:

this game is more populated now than it ever has been, definitely not dead

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

kumba posted:

this game is more populated now than it ever has been, definitely not dead

Fair enough, I think I'm just not seeing where they are. I just returned to the game and I'm pretty clueless again...

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
A few nights ago, want to say Tuesday, Owyn announced we had approximately 3,800 players online.
Definately felt like it. I've stopped trying to mine after 1pm shard time. It's a big server still, I know quite a few players who idle in Inn rooms.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Kortel posted:

A few nights ago, want to say Tuesday, Owyn announced we had approximately 3,800 players online.
Definately felt like it. I've stopped trying to mine after 1pm shard time. It's a big server still, I know quite a few players who idle in Inn rooms.

Hey if people aren't idling in towns as much anymore and there's more to do that's great. I just remember Prevalia used to have lines of people around the bank. It's hard to know of shard health if you're a lovely town thief :D IM SORRY!!

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

hobocrunch posted:

Hey if people aren't idling in towns as much anymore and there's more to do that's great. I just remember Prevalia used to have lines of people around the bank. It's hard to know of shard health if you're a lovely town thief :D IM SORRY!!

Monster stealing is pretty good now too. Even counts towards aspect exp.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Kortel posted:

Been having fun with my backstabbing mugger just only when I have the patience to stealth around but now that I'm getting more points in my codex and stuff it's getting more fun and less of a grind.

Also another note about the population and state of the shard, I'm mostly a solo player myself so I haven't seen any effects from the recent changes to grouping up and gaining xp which was pretty much worthless before the fix but I've noticed the dungeons are now much safer and more populated with little groups that I usually see chasing pks out of the area which I appreciate being a straight pvmer for the time being.

Wonder what they plan on revealing during the Dev Debrief at the end of the month, usually a ton of good stuff. Someone said once that a polymorph aspect mastery should be a thing and I want that so bad now.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Kortel posted:

I've been playing Outlands pretty wrong. I didn't even realise how important Aspects where I thought they were entirely combat things unimportant to Thiefs but I've since learned that's not the case. But I don't even really know how to get an Aspect or even start that...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hobocrunch posted:

I've been playing Outlands pretty wrong. I didn't even realise how important Aspects where I thought they were entirely combat things unimportant to Thiefs but I've since learned that's not the case. But I don't even really know how to get an Aspect or even start that...

Aspects been a huge boon for my dungeon picker.

https://uooutlands.com/wiki/Aspect_Mastery

Just need the cash to get the initial components to unlock and the arcane essence to activate it.

Used to be a bit more expensive, from what I remember.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Gildiss posted:

Aspects been a huge boon for my dungeon picker.

https://uooutlands.com/wiki/Aspect_Mastery

Just need the cash to get the initial components to unlock and the arcane essence to activate it.

Used to be a bit more expensive, from what I remember.

unlocking used to cost 12 cores/6 distills but was reduced to 4 cores/2 distills and the rest of the tiers adjusted to compensate and make the total cost of 0-14 basically the same

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009
So anyone going to do Factions? World PVP fest?
any of you Roleplayers? C'mon lets go

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I've been playing on this shard and factions might be the thing that gets me into UO pvp after 20 years

But in general this is the coolest shard Ive ever played on. I love the map and all the various systems. Ive got a 120 scribe if anyone needs help getting started, I'm happy to make people codexes,spellbooks,runebooks, and aspect kits for cost of materials and I'll even take wood/ore/loot as payment.

Post here or hit me up on discord RustyLaz#9535. I love helping

lolman
Jan 7, 2023

a real newbie
and how do you do missions?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

lolman posted:

and how do you do missions?

Do you mean society jobs? If so, you have to go to the building in prevalia that has all the NPCs, it's east of the inn. There's 6 NPCs (two on the upper floor) and each one offers different types of jobs,.you can browse and accept them from there.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I was playing this up until about 8 months ago and I let my house fall!

As it stands I have a GM tinker who is hella red and makes traps for my other stealth characters to place. That tinker is now logged off and in hiding where my house use to be, which is north of the main city just across the bridge.

If I log on how screwed am I in trying to move my trap maker somewhere safe?

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

loving Moron posted:

I was playing this up until about 8 months ago and I let my house fall!

As it stands I have a GM tinker who is hella red and makes traps for my other stealth characters to place. That tinker is now logged off and in hiding where my house use to be, which is north of the main city just across the bridge.

If I log on how screwed am I in trying to move my trap maker somewhere safe?

Where you trying to move him to? You could buy an inn room and just go to Corpse Creek and get to the inn room there. I think that would work.
Just get another character to marked runes and gate him there for safest option, I suppose.

Welcome back, place is packed these days.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

NJersey posted:

Where you trying to move him to? You could buy an inn room and just go to Corpse Creek and get to the inn room there. I think that would work.
Just get another character to marked runes and gate him there for safest option, I suppose.

Welcome back, place is packed these days.

A buddy of mine still plays so he helped me to get to his house.

A lot has changed so I am just trying to relearn.

I miss tinker trapping and taking screen shots of my chests blowing people's faces up so I will be getting back into that soon.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

loving Moron posted:

A buddy of mine still plays so he helped me to get to his house.

A lot has changed so I am just trying to relearn.

I miss tinker trapping and taking screen shots of my chests blowing people's faces up so I will be getting back into that soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBNpiA7COYI

edit: no traps in this video but the guy makes some fun uo videos

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 28, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
logged on walked around and logged off because i dont remember how to play lol

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

logged on walked around and logged off because i dont remember how to play lol

Don’t remember how to play original UO or Outlands specifically? cuz Outlands is like learning a whole new UO and you can forget most of the poo poo from any other poo poo server you played in the past and what you remember from old UO.

Join a guild and it’ll make the learning curve and getting setup with stuff way easier than learning it on your own like me, I wasted so much time in this game playing solo.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
If anyone needs help on Outlands hit me up.

Outlands is pretty fun. Lots of population. You do need a good guild though. Our goon guild died............ so sad............

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Lol my guild just died too and I was gonna ask where everyone else is

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
There's a small batch of us goons in SQZD. Decent folk, small PvP presence but lots of PvM content being done and rather large.

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
It really sucks that Owyn made Prev coins tradable instead of being account bound. Outlands has essentially become P2W now.

Currently 1 Prev coin is going for ~18k gold, and for every $1 "donated" you get 1 Prev coin (for the uninitiated). Realistically, you could drop $100 and trade up for 2 million gold without even really trying.

On top of that, this game is borderline inaccessible for new players at this point. The amount of gold, time, and grinding it takes to even get started with an aspect, let alone a mastery chain, links for the chain, echo, codex, etc. It's a loving spreadsheet game.

The PK situation is completely out of control too. Good luck grinding in a dungeon (even level 1) without the sweaty rear end PK community coming in with 6 people to drop on your new character with no aspect and newbie bandages. I highly suggest tracking, hiding, and stealth for survivability (see a backstabber build).

Done ranting now. I really want to love this game and scratch that nostalgia itch, but there's too much that has pushed me away.

Edit: Added words

sonikburn fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Prev coin stuff is purely cosmetic or QoL stuff and can be bought with gold, there's nothing pay2win about it at all??

The initial hump used to be much worse, aspects cost a third of what they used to cost to unlock. Joining a guild makes this initial hump even easier, and if you have the patience you can mine a few commodities worth of iron and have enough capital for all your poo poo very quickly.

The PK problem is definitely real, and I think a lot of that has to do with a bit of content stagnation at the top where those of us who have played for a long time have nothing to challenge us. There's a TON of content on the horizon though - new levels being added to Mausoleum, Aegis, and Pulma, a new dungeon that is basically the size of every existing dungeon combined, and a new continent coming with an expansion in a few months.

The biggest problem the game has at the moment is it's a victim of its own popularity and there just isn't enough room for everyone right now. The good news is that they know this and are working on it!!