Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If a shard has any player base at all then getting your own house has always, always been a massive un-fun cluster gently caress that makes me hate even trying and eventually drives me to quit.

I've always thought that for any kind of long term viability to a shard there either needs to be a land tax to discourage squatting and slum lords, or a pocket dimension housing for teeny little 8x8 poo poo shacks with no bells or whistles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?

kumba posted:

Prev coin stuff is purely cosmetic or QoL stuff and can be bought with gold, there's nothing pay2win about it at all??

The initial hump used to be much worse, aspects cost a third of what they used to cost to unlock. Joining a guild makes this initial hump even easier, and if you have the patience you can mine a few commodities worth of iron and have enough capital for all your poo poo very quickly.

The PK problem is definitely real, and I think a lot of that has to do with a bit of content stagnation at the top where those of us who have played for a long time have nothing to challenge us. There's a TON of content on the horizon though - new levels being added to Mausoleum, Aegis, and Pulma, a new dungeon that is basically the size of every existing dungeon combined, and a new continent coming with an expansion in a few months.

The biggest problem the game has at the moment is it's a victim of its own popularity and there just isn't enough room for everyone right now. The good news is that they know this and are working on it!!

The Prev coin thing fucks up the economy though, because you can sell it to other players for in-game gold. So you can essentially dump real money into Prev coin, sell it to other players (roughly 18k per coin), and make a shitload of in-game gold without even touching a dungeon. Then buy things like mats, armor, links for you build, etc. That's why I said it's an indirect P2W. Prev coins should've been account bound from the beginning.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

bird food bathtub posted:

If a shard has any player base at all then getting your own house has always, always been a massive un-fun cluster gently caress that makes me hate even trying and eventually drives me to quit.

I've always thought that for any kind of long term viability to a shard there either needs to be a land tax to discourage squatting and slum lords, or a pocket dimension housing for teeny little 8x8 poo poo shacks with no bells or whistles.

Outlands has the Inn system, which is exactly that pocket dimension you speak of!

sonikburn posted:

The Prev coin thing fucks up the economy though, because you can sell it to other players for in-game gold. So you can essentially dump real money into Prev coin, sell it to other players (roughly 18k per coin), and make a shitload of in-game gold without even touching a dungeon. Then buy things like mats, armor, links for you build, etc. That's why I said it's an indirect P2W. Prev coins should've been account bound from the beginning.

Why does that gently caress up the economy, though? It doesn't generate gold, it just makes gold exchange hands, and since you can buy anything with gold that you can with prev there's also a hard cap on the price a prev coin can hit. You can also go mine and lumberjack and make a shitload of gold without even touching a dungeon, so that isn't unique to prev coins.

Prev coins can help you get established quicker, sure, but you quickly reach a point after the initial hump where armor & weapons are effectively infinite anyway because their cost is meaningless compared to what you pull in. You can't buy the thing that actually meaningfully affects player power / progression: XP

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
This shard has that at least, in the form of instanced inn rooms. Which are great.

I agree the biggest problem is up-front costs for an aspect and codexes. They should up the drop rate of MCD's at the very least. I dont count mastery chains in that because you start earning xp on them before you even have one so you dont lose anything really by waiting a while.

I would say prev coins are largely not p2w because everything to do with character power is gated by xp. You can buy all the cores and extracts to get to aspect 14, and you can buy 30 gold chain links (for about 4 grand USD by my estimate) but you still need to grind the xp. Buying coins definitely does help you get started quicker if for whatever reason you don't have a guild helping you, and might help you grind quicker by having some QOL stuff for less downtime. But the people buzzsawing demons and getting high boss numbers isnt because they bought prev.

PKs are always a problem, you could say this is UO but this is a very high pop shard so there are lots of them. You basically have to either roll in a group or have tracking or be playing a stealth template, minimum imo. As stated above, guilds solve most of the game's problems.

I dont see it mentioned much, but there's one thing that took the frustration out of getting PK'd more than anything else for me: Buying a storage shelf. Because the biggest problem was spending all that time re-equipping myself every time, dragging armour and potions etc, and the shelf lets you just open palm slam a button to be instantly equipped and restocked.

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?

kumba posted:

Why does that gently caress up the economy, though? It doesn't generate gold, it just makes gold exchange hands, and since you can buy anything with gold that you can with prev there's also a hard cap on the price a prev coin can hit. You can also go mine and lumberjack and make a shitload of gold without even touching a dungeon, so that isn't unique to prev coins.

Prev coins can help you get established quicker, sure, but you quickly reach a point after the initial hump where armor & weapons are effectively infinite anyway because their cost is meaningless compared to what you pull in. You can't buy the thing that actually meaningfully affects player power / progression: XP

I don't think your LJ/Mining argument is a good one at all. That still requires building skill in game, providing a valuable commodity to crafters to keep the ecosystem alive, finding areas with certain resources, avoiding mobs and PKs, and playing the game in general.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I just think it's a bad system that I can create an account, go donate $100 on the Outlands website, and essentially trade for 2 million in-game gold that CAN buy valuable resources and items within a very short amount of time and I don't even have to be logged in or doing anything. I get what you're saying about XP, but that's just one part of the overall game.

Exchanging gold would follow your LJ/Mining argument - trading commodities for gold.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't think it's fair to call that pay to win - it's much more pay for convenience, which is exactly what a donation shop should be. In PvM, I'll put on storebought basic leather and farm 100x faster than someone in the most expensive possible gear with no XP. In PvP, it's 99% about experience and skill and 1% what gear you're using - no amount of gold is going to make your combo timing or evasive maneuvering better.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

kumba posted:

Outlands has the Inn system, which is exactly that pocket dimension you speak of!

Yeah but it isn't that great. You can't put vendors in it or recall/gate into your room. But at least you can place a forge and anvil and smith in peace.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Is the goon guild still active? The discord link in the OP is dead :(

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

sonikburn posted:

I don't think your LJ/Mining argument is a good one at all. That still requires building skill in game, providing a valuable commodity to crafters to keep the ecosystem alive, finding areas with certain resources, avoiding mobs and PKs, and playing the game in general.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I just think it's a bad system that I can create an account, go donate $100 on the Outlands website, and essentially trade for 2 million in-game gold that CAN buy valuable resources and items within a very short amount of time and I don't even have to be logged in or doing anything. I get what you're saying about XP, but that's just one part of the overall game.

Exchanging gold would follow your LJ/Mining argument - trading commodities for gold.

This is absolutely the most boring and trite MMO discussion in 2023 and it has little meaningful impact on gameplay.

Games good, UO likers should play it 100

Budikah
Jul 1, 2023

sonikburn posted:

It depends on what you mean by "winning". The game can be played as a classic role playing experience, it can be focused on PvP, or you can play a glorified version of The Sims x Barbie with your house and character.

The only one of those you can really "win" by paying for is making yourself look cool. You can't buy PvP experience or skill in the slightest, and even if you buy everything under the sun - you still need to actually farm XP yourself to make your character stronger. You can buy yourself a mountain of resources, but you can't actually do much without going out and playing the game. There isn't any way around that. You can have unlimited gold, but unless you actively play, and farm - nothing you purchase will make you godlike without actually putting in work.

Anyways, I started out on Outlands roughly ~100 days ago from today and I'm doing well. You can get yourself up and running fairly easily, or there are a plethora of guilds that will basically take you in, house you, give you basic equipment, and you help out in their guild activities.

The place is absolutely slammed during primetime hours - something around 2500 players online. That is honestly it's biggest detriment at the moment, but also a mark of it's greatest success. I play with the MMx guild, we tend to hit all areas of content and have fun.

There are a surprising number of people still filtering into the server and just starting even four and a half years after it launched. They just held the Kings Faire which was a hilariously nerdy experience of a bunch of adults running around on their wizard barbie dolls holding balloons, like big kids in a playground. Expansion to the landmass is coming in Q4.

PK's and being murdered is still a pain in the butt. It largely depends on your willingness to adapt to it, endure it, and when you play. It doesn't happen often to me, but I do tend to absolutely lose my poo poo when it does. A buddy I started playing with her backed off because that was too much for him.

TL;DR
Probably one of the most unique experiences in the MMO genre. An ancient labor of love brought back to life and helmed by people who give a poo poo. If you are curious, give it a shot. If you need help, join the Discord and ask. Folks are plenty helpful in the #newplayer channel.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Yep I'm still playing too and still helping newbs on discord, I maxxed out all my crafting skills so hit me up if youre starting and need stuff!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i took a break for a few months and now i'm back, game is still very good

Seppuku
May 24, 2004

Photo Of Crying Father A Lasting Symbol Of Economic Struggle If There Ever Was One
Posting so this is higher than the UO legacy thread. There are a handful of goons playing this that post in discord all day every day living their best life.

Expansion is right around the corner and tamers are dumb stupid strong again so it's the perfect time to jump in.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Seppuku posted:

Posting so this is higher than the UO legacy thread. There are a handful of goons playing this that post in discord all day every day living their best life.

Expansion is right around the corner and tamers are dumb stupid strong again so it's the perfect time to jump in.

:hfive:

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Seppuku posted:

I'm almost getting frustrated that newbies are still being told to make a peaceadin when tamers are so strong right out of the gate

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ristolaz posted:

I'm almost getting frustrated that newbies are still being told to make a peaceadin when tamers are so strong right out of the gate

yeah getting over the initial hump has never been so easy, get to 80 taming, unlock water aspect for dirt cheap, get beastiary/fencing codex and rock n roll

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Anyone on the discord able to add me as a goon and give me access? Not sure if there are any folks still playing currently, no worries if not. I first and only played UO on a custom shard about a decade ago, but I progressed pretty far with a huge house and tons of custom plans and stuff like that. I have a character out of newbie island who is a heavy crossbow backstabber just so I can hide and stealth and explore around the world without too much worry (afaik)

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

jinx_player posted:

Anyone on the discord able to add me as a goon and give me access? Not sure if there are any folks still playing currently, no worries if not. I first and only played UO on a custom shard about a decade ago, but I progressed pretty far with a huge house and tons of custom plans and stuff like that. I have a character out of newbie island who is a heavy crossbow backstabber just so I can hide and stealth and explore around the world without too much worry (afaik)

I dont think there is an actual goon guild but send me a message at RustyLaz on discord and I can give you info, hook you up with some gear, starter cash etc

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
This is really fun.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.
Yeah I’ve been having a blast since coming back to the game, theres so much stuff to mess around with. I just started doing town struggles and been having a lot of fun with those.

Really looking forward to the land expansion, hopefully not too much longer

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
Im thinking of giving this a shot again, would the tamer build with the water aspect be the one here bottom right? Water fencer? I have no idea about starting stats

Sitting on char creation right now waiting for auth on goon discord

These templates arent really useful for newbs cuz it doesnt tell you anything about picking stats and skills starting out (if that matters at all, i dont know)

https://uooutlands.com/wiki/TemplatesTamer

Aster0ids fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 26, 2023

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Join the outlands channel and just say you're new and picking a tamer template, etc. in the #tamplates channel. People will be sure to help you and give you a roadmap on how best to build one.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Get a lantern and sell it to fund the rest of your characters lifetime.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

Charles Bukowski posted:

Get a lantern and sell it to fund the rest of your characters lifetime.

👀 not me blowing through 7.5m on customizations this week.

I’ve been pretty unlucky on the lantern drop rate, I’ve seen two powder drops ( one being worth 2m ), a dungeon antiquity, and I estimate close to 3m chain xp since my first hip lantern.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

4m xp no lantern!!!! Although I farmed more than enough gold to just buy one, it doesnt feel the same

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

Finally got the drop in the middle of an accidental 2v2 ( friend went grey ) underneath darkmire… to then finish the 2v2 and get another in the same run.

Feels good man.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

New expansion same thread???

If yall havent seen the patch notes, this is WILD. No pun intended

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

it is surreal bein hype for an ultima online update in 2024

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ristolaz posted:

If yall havent seen the patch notes, this is WILD. No pun intended

Eyes bugged out of my head when it said they were buffing pure mages

I'm too UO brained for this to make sense

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Phoix posted:

Eyes bugged out of my head when it said they were buffing pure mages

I'm too UO brained for this to make sense

Have you played outlands at all or just talking about other UO experience?

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Is it normal to log into a character I haven't played since 2018 and have no items at all?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Blacula posted:

Is it normal to log into a character I haven't played since 2018 and have no items at all?

If you're idle for long enough they will delete anything you have that can be purchased from a vendor and give you the gold value for it. to optimize save times and whatnot

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

If you're idle for long enough they will delete anything you have that can be purchased from a vendor and give you the gold value for it. to optimize save times and whatnot

Thanks, that explains why my only possession is a check in my bank box.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Ristolaz posted:

Really glad I read this before going down a rabbit hole. I also have almost everything gone, but it makes sense on their end.

Anyone still playing and have an opinion on the Guilds on the server? No one I know is playing, but I'd like to give it another go.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

War Eagle posted:

Really glad I read this before going down a rabbit hole. I also have almost everything gone, but it makes sense on their end.

Anyone still playing and have an opinion on the Guilds on the server? No one I know is playing, but I'd like to give it another go.

Now is a great time to get back into it! Should be an expansion dropping any time now. I’m in DoK / primarily a boating guild, but I would recommend allied guild No Cap as an ‘all content guild’, there’s regularly stuff going on in the alliance, opening you to boating content, bossing, omni + omni raids, daily CCC.
If you’re brand new though, you might have more fun with a different guild that also has a number of newer players ( no suggestions sorry! )

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

War Eagle posted:

I've been playing for about 5 weeks now, I'm in the goon discord and got invited to SQzD, they've been pretty good so far. It's UO so you'll find racists and assholes in every guild but there are a few SQzD officers who have zero tolerance for that stuff and will gkick repeat offenders. We do boss runs at least once a day, people are playing at all hours, you'll find upwards of 10 people in discord voice chat at 1 in the morning farming or whatever. Omni bosses once or twice on the weekends, usually one for SQzD and one for an ally guild. We are allied with DPS where people guild their reds, we call out when there are too many blues farming somewhere and the red team comes in the clean up, it's kind of cool.

I think Face just had a bunch of people quit due to leadership drama or something, other than that I don't know much about the guilds on the server. What I do know is everything is crazy stupid expensive for new players, I don't understand why QoL stuff like strongbox deeds (25% gold weight reduction) cost 2 loving million gold. Server is very intimidating for new players, but I'm really glad they implemented the chromatic aspect core changes yesterday so maybe I can afford Command cores at some point soon. With all of the upcoming changes for dexxers in the xpac it sounds like they're really trying to balance out the disparity between mages/tamers and dexxers in PvM which is great because I really want to play a dexxer, taming is so boring but really is the way to go for new players right now.

SQzD just did a Darkmire farming contest over the past week which was pretty fun, I earned about 2.2m gold from Darkmire mobs but didn't even make the top 3. The prize was an 8x8 house which would have been amazing since housing is stupid expensive. Oh well, at least I'll still have a good chance at the expansion housing lottery still.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Thanks, appreciate the advice. It's changed a lot since I played last, Necromancy and Chivalry weren't in whenever that was, so I have decent characters that probably need to be reworked. I'll hop in the Discord later and ask some questions.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Can someone approve me or w/e in the goon discord? username is poe1524

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Wildlands release was just announced for May 18th with the housing lottery to begin on May 4th! I was hoping to have more time to spin up a trapper mapper, I've been saving every map since I started for the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Can I get approved for the discord? Username is leekster

Thank you!