Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
It really sucks that Owyn made Prev coins tradable instead of being account bound. Outlands has essentially become P2W now.

Currently 1 Prev coin is going for ~18k gold, and for every $1 "donated" you get 1 Prev coin (for the uninitiated). Realistically, you could drop $100 and trade up for 2 million gold without even really trying.

On top of that, this game is borderline inaccessible for new players at this point. The amount of gold, time, and grinding it takes to even get started with an aspect, let alone a mastery chain, links for the chain, echo, codex, etc. It's a loving spreadsheet game.

The PK situation is completely out of control too. Good luck grinding in a dungeon (even level 1) without the sweaty rear end PK community coming in with 6 people to drop on your new character with no aspect and newbie bandages. I highly suggest tracking, hiding, and stealth for survivability (see a backstabber build).

Done ranting now. I really want to love this game and scratch that nostalgia itch, but there's too much that has pushed me away.

Edit: Added words

sonikburn fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

kumba posted:

Prev coin stuff is purely cosmetic or QoL stuff and can be bought with gold, there's nothing pay2win about it at all??

The initial hump used to be much worse, aspects cost a third of what they used to cost to unlock. Joining a guild makes this initial hump even easier, and if you have the patience you can mine a few commodities worth of iron and have enough capital for all your poo poo very quickly.

The PK problem is definitely real, and I think a lot of that has to do with a bit of content stagnation at the top where those of us who have played for a long time have nothing to challenge us. There's a TON of content on the horizon though - new levels being added to Mausoleum, Aegis, and Pulma, a new dungeon that is basically the size of every existing dungeon combined, and a new continent coming with an expansion in a few months.

The biggest problem the game has at the moment is it's a victim of its own popularity and there just isn't enough room for everyone right now. The good news is that they know this and are working on it!!

The Prev coin thing fucks up the economy though, because you can sell it to other players for in-game gold. So you can essentially dump real money into Prev coin, sell it to other players (roughly 18k per coin), and make a shitload of in-game gold without even touching a dungeon. Then buy things like mats, armor, links for you build, etc. That's why I said it's an indirect P2W. Prev coins should've been account bound from the beginning.

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

kumba posted:

Why does that gently caress up the economy, though? It doesn't generate gold, it just makes gold exchange hands, and since you can buy anything with gold that you can with prev there's also a hard cap on the price a prev coin can hit. You can also go mine and lumberjack and make a shitload of gold without even touching a dungeon, so that isn't unique to prev coins.

Prev coins can help you get established quicker, sure, but you quickly reach a point after the initial hump where armor & weapons are effectively infinite anyway because their cost is meaningless compared to what you pull in. You can't buy the thing that actually meaningfully affects player power / progression: XP

I don't think your LJ/Mining argument is a good one at all. That still requires building skill in game, providing a valuable commodity to crafters to keep the ecosystem alive, finding areas with certain resources, avoiding mobs and PKs, and playing the game in general.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I just think it's a bad system that I can create an account, go donate $100 on the Outlands website, and essentially trade for 2 million in-game gold that CAN buy valuable resources and items within a very short amount of time and I don't even have to be logged in or doing anything. I get what you're saying about XP, but that's just one part of the overall game.

Exchanging gold would follow your LJ/Mining argument - trading commodities for gold.