Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budikah
Jul 1, 2023

sonikburn posted:

The Prev coin thing fucks up the economy though, because you can sell it to other players for in-game gold. So you can essentially dump real money into Prev coin, sell it to other players (roughly 18k per coin), and make a shitload of in-game gold without even touching a dungeon. Then buy things like mats, armor, links for you build, etc. That's why I said it's an indirect P2W. Prev coins should've been account bound from the beginning.

It depends on what you mean by "winning". The game can be played as a classic role playing experience, it can be focused on PvP, or you can play a glorified version of The Sims x Barbie with your house and character.

The only one of those you can really "win" by paying for is making yourself look cool. You can't buy PvP experience or skill in the slightest, and even if you buy everything under the sun - you still need to actually farm XP yourself to make your character stronger. You can buy yourself a mountain of resources, but you can't actually do much without going out and playing the game. There isn't any way around that. You can have unlimited gold, but unless you actively play, and farm - nothing you purchase will make you godlike without actually putting in work.

Anyways, I started out on Outlands roughly ~100 days ago from today and I'm doing well. You can get yourself up and running fairly easily, or there are a plethora of guilds that will basically take you in, house you, give you basic equipment, and you help out in their guild activities.

The place is absolutely slammed during primetime hours - something around 2500 players online. That is honestly it's biggest detriment at the moment, but also a mark of it's greatest success. I play with the MMx guild, we tend to hit all areas of content and have fun.

There are a surprising number of people still filtering into the server and just starting even four and a half years after it launched. They just held the Kings Faire which was a hilariously nerdy experience of a bunch of adults running around on their wizard barbie dolls holding balloons, like big kids in a playground. Expansion to the landmass is coming in Q4.

PK's and being murdered is still a pain in the butt. It largely depends on your willingness to adapt to it, endure it, and when you play. It doesn't happen often to me, but I do tend to absolutely lose my poo poo when it does. A buddy I started playing with her backed off because that was too much for him.

TL;DR
Probably one of the most unique experiences in the MMO genre. An ancient labor of love brought back to life and helmed by people who give a poo poo. If you are curious, give it a shot. If you need help, join the Discord and ask. Folks are plenty helpful in the #newplayer channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU