Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

jiffynuts posted:

I just came across this… too funny.

https://youtu.be/57gG1_kCDlU

this video gave me anxiety lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
right at the top of covid i logged on to UO outlands to find my house decayed and myself standing in the woods. instantly logged off and didnt return. but now ive felt the urge. a powerful urge. to log on.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
remember when we had bad computers and you'd lag when you died and the backpack close sounds would repeat when you grey screened. jesus christ.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
2004 ipy forums avatar...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Where's a good place to farm hides? Looking for a more relaxing UO experience this time around so I figure I'll do my tailor finally. Kinda fun doing the forensics, can't wait for the Grandmaster Detective fame title =D

Also, I can usually find room for 8x8 somewhere regardless of server age or congestion, spent a while running around last night and didn't find anything. Anyone have an eyeball on likelihood of finding a crumby spot anymore? the thought of renting an apartment in a video game is too depressing to endure lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NJersey posted:

Shadowspire Cathedral and Nusero were where I did all my hide gathering that I used to GM Tailoring.

Bummer that it required dungeoning. I'd rather do overland poo poo but I guess that's slow going on this server. Back in the day you'd just go to ice isle and kill polar bears.

NJersey posted:

Doubt you’ll find a spot for a house, best chance is buying or fighting for an idoc.

drat bummer. no way im doing the idoc disco but the thought of paying 500k for a 8x8 is hosed up.

i read the patch notes about the hardcore penalty for pking on the noob dungeon floors, did that have any bearing on the frequency of which they're getting cleared by pks? i don't have tracking on my tailor.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NJersey posted:

On this server, with the pvm stealing, I just made a thief with forensic eval and ran around skinning corpses and stealing from monsters being killed by players. My tailor just sat in my inn room. I was getting something like 5k leather per run towards the end. Make sure you have camping for the weight increase.

500k? lol that may buy you a caravan, more like 1-1.5mil for 8x8's. At least from what I see on the realtor npc.

There have been times where when I was starting my current character some pkers would just run past me when killing the weaker mobs but it's UO so people are gonna kill ya. I can say though that most of them seem poo poo, been attacked like 4-5 times in the past two weeks or so and never died. Always made it to the gate laughing at them. The groups are trouble.

agreed. im not exactly a noob. i have a bard / summoner whos pretty strong. i got up to aspect 3 lyric when it was super expensive and the reqs to pump it up were much higher. not super high but i farmed a lot of inferno. i liked farming there, it was pretty safe and there wasnt a bunch of poo poo spawn that seems rife on this shard. i have a lot of xp pvping and used to be a good duelist. it was fun earlier in the shard running my hally mage around dungeons looking for noob reds and killing them just by virtue of having pots and knowing how to control monster agro / use stone wall. my house collapsed and i lost all my poo poo tho. sucks. seems easy to live with red gates if you have some gheal pots and boom boxes. even a macro to pop and in jux the same pouch seemed sufficient.

the thief idea is cool, sounds fun. back on uo redemption (abyss reborn? i forget) i had a lot of fun with a stealth dungeon picker but i remember reading that the timers were all jacked up here. i think i'll take you up on the thief forensic toon. doesn't the tailor itself need forensic? maybe can just macro that hidden somewhere corpses get generated? macro it with summon creature? lol. =D

thanks for replying and such. hard to find good uo discourse on forums and i dont like discord. full of creeps and weirdos.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

NJersey posted:

Oh lol, I just default to assuming someone is new when talking about UO.
Cavernam has been my spot on this server. I like the layout and it's easy to avoid pks.

Yea dungeon chests aren't worth it yet but I think they plan on changing them and making them worth while. I don't think tailors need forensic for anything but it's possible you need it to craft something I guess. Pretty sure it'd be drat hard to macro forensic, macro resource gathering at your own risk. A lot has probably changed since you've been gone so I'd say it might be worth joining the outlands discord, it's the easiest way to get info. The wiki is still outdated or missing info on a bunch of poo poo. I'm happy to answer questions but I'm still learning.

always fun to talk about uo and yea especially with normal people lol

sucks about dungeon chests.

my old bard/summoner sucks rear end now. big mobs do bard break every 5 seconds and the new summons arent as good. ancient summons w. the soul stones or w/e seemed way stronger. i used to be able to clear inferno and now they're spawning on top of me.

gonna make a vintage style summon/mage with eval and eldritch. skip the barding and expensive lyric. not gonna gently caress with necro since it's "new fangled" to me and I don't want to do it due to purity. e: and scribe for the double eldritch bonus. i would like to see some large flamestrike numbers.

took me an over an hour to farm up 20k last night. gently caress sakes.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 30, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
back on uo redemption i had a tamer with 2 maxed out drags named Phylokrastyr and Telemarketer and I miss them more every day.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

There was a big shake-up a few weeks ago with pvm, you'll find the game's just overall harder. Nobody can solo level 3 of any dungeon.

And if you're worried about making money, get a red hand thief going. Or start gathering as many iron ingots as you can, there's a speculation bubble happening based on the upcoming removal of scripted movement.

I see. Seems to me there's a lot of power creep with the codex books and people stacking the chain links or whatever. guess they'll have to keep cranking the difficulty forever. i watched a stream of some chiv townie and he was putting out insane numbers. but then he also died in 1 frame to an elder vampire twice and then got pkd so... tanking mobs yourself still seems vulnerable. there was also an air aspect guy with a q staff farming near me last night who was doing wild damage.

kumba posted:

I haven't played a pet build since the shakeup but yeah I did hear that pets got hit pretty hard. With the right build though earth eles should still be tanky enough to survive most things without spam healing - Spirit Pact/Corporeal Tether/Grounded/Stonewall is my favorite earth ele build for max survivability, and with enough eldritch you'll get more points to work with beyond that (I"d go for Earthpull at 30)

Necro is really good even if you don't use the necro pets, the poison necro build is still probably the most broken (relatively accessible) one in the game even after the nerfs

e: if you want build advice feel free to post your build or ask!!

i dont have a summoners tome so i dont have any of those neat passives. dont think im going to buy one either since im not interested in leveling this toon beyond making money to finance my next.

i got all my mining out of my system on uo gamers hybrid with the famed mumbling miner easyUO script. not doing that again lol.

i think im going to try

mage
med
eval
resist
scribe
spirit speak
track

eldritch aspect

i wish could drop track for wrestle (for endurance) or tasteid for mana regen but its too handy for pk avoidance. idk i just want a classic themed, durable farming toon who can crit big numbers for my enjoyment and level the aspect for a reasonable price.

my current is

mage
med
spirit speak
track
music
discord
peacemaking

lyric aspect (also i leveled it up last night with no mats, and its indicating the next level is also no mats. only xp. is this making up for the assload i dumped into it before the requirements got lowered? that would be so neat)

and peacemaking seems nerfed to hell. as the jewel of barding i dont think its worth it for 300+ skill pts unless its at 120 with high lyric aspect and thats just too drat expensive to justify. its also dog boring to play and the character is fragile with no resist or wrestle.

heres a silly question: since there's no newbie lanterns or daggers what do farmers use to voluntarily interrupt their casts? i keep spamming my hally button but i have no hally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

kumba posted:

A summoners tome is only like 60k-70k and is necessary for your Eldritch build anyway, you can transfer the tome between characters (though the xp doesn't transfer) - It makes your pets an order of magnitude more powerful and is too good to pass up on any summoner

Also on a summoner I'd suggest Provo instead of Peace at least while you're playing Summoner Bard, it's a lot more interesting to play and you have pets to tank already so most of the benefit of it is kinda wasted anyway. I find Provo way more fun, Peace is boring cruise control. Do you have a bard codex / wizard grimoire as well?

As far as spell cancelling: there's a built-in razor macro for that you can bind to a key

i dont wanna play the bard no more!! but i hear you on the codex and grim. will get.

quote:

As far as spell cancelling: there's a built-in razor macro for that you can bind to a key

i meant while youre bowing. ill just tink a lantern in the meantime i guess

many thanks for the review and advice!