Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone should play! Easily the best private shard I've played on, and I've played a bunch (every incarnation of IPY, UOF, I'm sure some others that I don't remember). This shard also has the most brand-new-to-UO players I've ever seen so it's not just for us old UO fuddy duddies!

It may seem overwhelming at first because there are a LOT of new systems - I've been playing for 7 months and I've still not touched a bunch of them - but it's pretty easy to get started and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Good shard, good OP. Join us!

e:

1024x768 posted:

Taste identification now provides a buff to you and your allies, increasing their mana regeneration and resistance to bleeds.

the bolded bit is untrue - taste id increases your own mana regeneration via increased ticks and increases your swing speed from eating delectable food; the herbal poultice buff that applies to allies provides resistance to bleeds, poison, and disease (and helps with poisoning, and helps with plant growing)

kumba fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Town thieves are definitely possible though I think it's difficult because iirc there's an increased chance you get noticed any time you get guard whacked

The real juice is in camping the vendor hotspots but that can also be super boring

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

skylined! posted:

Can't believe I am considering Ultima Online again for funsies. Oh lord.

do or do not. there is no consider

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

Spent the last 8ish years on UO Forever, thought I'd give this a try. I'm liking the fact it all feels new, that I have no idea what I'm doing, where I'm going etc :)

I'm thinking about adding Mining to my macer, but since there's still a 720 skill cap, I was wondering if the bonus from Mining would be worth cutting other skills down to 85%, such as
85% anat
85% healing
85% mace fighting
85% tracking
85% mining
85% tactics
90% magery
100% magic resist

vs

100% anat
100% healing
100% mace fighting
100% tracking
100% tactics
100% magery
100% magic resist

[edit] this is mostly for PvM.

imo there's no point in building a miner that isn't going for GM+ and adding mining to an otherwise totally PvM template is far from ideal since you can get the same damage increase from other skills that also have other benefits (e.g., camping)

if you're keen on mining i'd make an actual miner with at least 110 for avarite, GM+ camping, etc

for a non-mining improvement on your pvm macer build, i'd work towards something like:

120 chivalry
100 mace
100 tactics
80 anat/heal/parry/arms lore

then, assuming 720 skill cap, either 80 magic resist (if no/low ranked parry codex), or 60 camping + 20 alchemy (for extra damage/carry capacity + longer potion durations/better heal pots) or stick w/ 80 magery if you're set on that. if 700 skill cap, 60 resist/40 camp+20 alch/60 mage are your options basically

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

What are Aspect Phylactery used for? The website says to force your next attack to use an aspect special, but there has to be a cost, right? Is it a one time use item?

it's one time use and the cooldown is one hour

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
If you've ever wondered if you should play this game, watch this video

https://streamable.com/jpi663

If that doesn't convince you, nothing will

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

jiffynuts posted:

I just came across this… too funny.

https://youtu.be/57gG1_kCDlU

haha you beat me to it, this one is also extremely good, made by one of my guild mates!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

Whats stealing like on Outlands? Versus monster, versus player, and versus people at the bank?

They just introduced PvM stealing recently - people seem to like it a lot

PvP stealing is alive and well, you can get into some real shenanigans. The only thing that isn't really possible here that I miss from the 98-01 OSI era is disarm stealing, but you can definitely steal people's poo poo and bait them into attacking you if you want, or steal and run, or hang out in vendor houses and pilfer high-value items, etc

Versus people at the bank - still happens, but banks are nowhere near as populated as you might expect on this shard (outside of Prevalia, at least) and you're unlikely to find much of value. Most people hang out in their own homes / guildhouses so you don't see a whole ton of bank sitters. There's also certain areas that are basically impossible to steal due to the volume of NPCs packed into a small area which guarantees you'll get spotted, and there's a mechanic that causes your stealing success chance in towns to go down over time as you get caught

This is one of the videos that got me into Outlands - it's from a year ago so some of it is dated, but you can see some of the systems here and it shows off some fun gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_EIbq-1JBw

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think I might have the bug.

I want to do a smith/fighter combo, because that's how I used to roll. I could take the lumber/miner template and replace lumberjack with blacksmithing and sword with mace and it should work out, right?

While it can work, the damage bonus from blacksmith is smaller than the other supplemental damage skills, and blacksmith is, aside from carpentry, the single most expensive skill to raise. I would strongly recommend avoiding blacksmith if you're new, as the money you'd spend raising it would get you several orders of magnitude more power spent elsewhere. I've been playing here for about a year and while I'm not like 1%er rich, I am quite well off, and even I have not even really thought about doing blacksmithing yet.

The best ways to start out are, roughly in order of effort:

find yourself a sugar daddy or a guild to give you a bunch of poo poo
scavenging in dungeons for leather, gold, and items people leave behind
lumber/mining and selling commodity deeds

if you need help starting out, we got you!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Gildiss posted:

Yeah I logged my ingots used to reach 100 blacksmithing and it was 135,000 iron ingots from 50 points of smithing.

Sounds about right! And i've heard it's roughly another 110-135k ingots from 100-120, so you're looking at ~2m to 100 and another ~2m to 120, for a grand total of ~4m spent :science:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

I can't decide if Arms Law's Disarm is worth it. It only last 10 seconds and that's if you don't wiff your swing. You could have camping, tracking, or forensic evaluation instead. Or even Anatomy if you don't have that in a template for damage and extra heals.

80 Arms lore gives you disarm which is 25% (multiplicative) damage with roughly 1/3 uptime and 8% weapon special

80 camping/tracking/etc gives 20% (additive) damage

80 anatomy gives I think 16% (additive) + almost doubles your finisher proc chance, and better heals if you have healing

On a bard echo I recently traded arms lore for tracking to see how it was and it felt pretty significantly worse damage wise. Arms lore is going to end up pulling better numbers for most templates (only exceptions I can think of are provo archers and maybe poison dexxers), and raw damage wise out farming anatomy is also better than camping etc, but if the other perks matter to you more then of course the world is your oyster!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ak Gara posted:

How do you get the necromancy book on test server? I heard there is a necromancer npc you can buy it from but I've no idea where.

there's one in the basement of prev library just NW of west prev bank

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Freakazoid_ posted:

There was a big shake-up a few weeks ago with pvm, you'll find the game's just overall harder. Nobody can solo level 3 of any dungeon.

And if you're worried about making money, get a red hand thief going. Or start gathering as many iron ingots as you can, there's a speculation bubble happening based on the upcoming removal of scripted movement.

The pvm shakeup changed a lot about pretty much every mob everywhere and it's definitely substantially harder, but there are plenty of people that can solo level 3s still. The power required is irrefutably higher but it's certainly achievable with a bunch of different builds

Mining is definitely a huge moneymaker especially if you can stomach babysitting scripting 3 of them at once, and they tend to sell pretty fast

Smythe posted:

sucks about dungeon chests.

my old bard/summoner sucks rear end now. big mobs do bard break every 5 seconds and the new summons arent as good. ancient summons w. the soul stones or w/e seemed way stronger. i used to be able to clear inferno and now they're spawning on top of me.

gonna make a vintage style summon/mage with eval and eldritch. skip the barding and expensive lyric. not gonna gently caress with necro since it's "new fangled" to me and I don't want to do it due to purity. e: and scribe for the double eldritch bonus. i would like to see some large flamestrike numbers.

took me an over an hour to farm up 20k last night. gently caress sakes.

I haven't played a pet build since the shakeup but yeah I did hear that pets got hit pretty hard. With the right build though earth eles should still be tanky enough to survive most things without spam healing - Spirit Pact/Corporeal Tether/Grounded/Stonewall is my favorite earth ele build for max survivability, and with enough eldritch you'll get more points to work with beyond that (I"d go for Earthpull at 30)

Necro is really good even if you don't use the necro pets, the poison necro build is still probably the most broken (relatively accessible) one in the game even after the nerfs

e: if you want build advice feel free to post your build or ask!!

kumba fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 30, 2022

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

I see. Seems to me there's a lot of power creep with the codex books and people stacking the chain links or whatever. guess they'll have to keep cranking the difficulty forever. i watched a stream of some chiv townie and he was putting out insane numbers. but then he also died in 1 frame to an elder vampire twice and then got pkd so... tanking mobs yourself still seems vulnerable. there was also an air aspect guy with a q staff farming near me last night who was doing wild damage.

i dont have a summoners tome so i dont have any of those neat passives. dont think im going to buy one either since im not interested in leveling this toon beyond making money to finance my next.

i got all my mining out of my system on uo gamers hybrid with the famed mumbling miner easyUO script. not doing that again lol.

i think im going to try

mage
med
eval
resist
scribe
spirit speak
track

eldritch aspect

i wish could drop track for wrestle (for endurance) or tasteid for mana regen but its too handy for pk avoidance. idk i just want a classic themed, durable farming toon who can crit big numbers for my enjoyment and level the aspect for a reasonable price.

my current is

mage
med
spirit speak
track
music
discord
peacemaking

lyric aspect (also i leveled it up last night with no mats, and its indicating the next level is also no mats. only xp. is this making up for the assload i dumped into it before the requirements got lowered?, that would be so neat)

and peacemaking seems nerfed to hell. as the jewel of barding i dont think its worth it for 300+ skill pts unless its at 120 with high lyric aspect and thats just too drat expensive to justify. its also dog boring to play and the character is fragile with no resist or wrestle.

heres a silly question: since there's no newbie lanterns or daggers what do farmers use to voluntarily interrupt their casts? i keep spamming my hally button but i have no hally.

A summoners tome is only like 60k-70k and is necessary for your Eldritch build anyway, you can transfer the tome between characters (though the xp doesn't transfer) - It makes your pets an order of magnitude more powerful and is too good to pass up on any summoner

Also on a summoner I'd suggest Provo instead of Peace at least while you're playing Summoner Bard, it's a lot more interesting to play and you have pets to tank already so most of the benefit of it is kinda wasted anyway. I find Provo way more fun, Peace is boring cruise control. Do you have a bard codex / wizard grimoire as well?

As far as spell cancelling: there's a built-in razor macro for that you can bind to a key

kumba fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 30, 2022

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

NJersey posted:

drat, just saw in a stream that apparently there is a 15 minute to 2 hour window until placing at an IDOC is allowed.

Nice mechanic, in my opinion. Prevents the guy with the fastest ping/script whatever from getting it, I guess.

It's still the person with the best script & luck getting it most of the time, but better than it just being immediate yeah

When an IDOC is announced, a timer starts. The house can't fall until minute 15 on that timer, and will fall before minute 60.

After the house falls, that timer resets to 0. The placement window will open up at some point between minute 15 and minute 60 on the new timer, giving you a chance to stash whatever loot you may have gotten and go get your house deed(s). At this point it's just "whoever happens to try and place soonest after placement becomes possible" which is at a random time

It's not perfect but it's a better solution than most

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

hobocrunch posted:

Did this game lose like 50% of its population or are they just hanging out elsewhere? What the hell happened, Prevalia seems pretty dead in comparison to last year.

this game is more populated now than it ever has been, definitely not dead

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Gildiss posted:

Aspects been a huge boon for my dungeon picker.

https://uooutlands.com/wiki/Aspect_Mastery

Just need the cash to get the initial components to unlock and the arcane essence to activate it.

Used to be a bit more expensive, from what I remember.

unlocking used to cost 12 cores/6 distills but was reduced to 4 cores/2 distills and the rest of the tiers adjusted to compensate and make the total cost of 0-14 basically the same

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Prev coin stuff is purely cosmetic or QoL stuff and can be bought with gold, there's nothing pay2win about it at all??

The initial hump used to be much worse, aspects cost a third of what they used to cost to unlock. Joining a guild makes this initial hump even easier, and if you have the patience you can mine a few commodities worth of iron and have enough capital for all your poo poo very quickly.

The PK problem is definitely real, and I think a lot of that has to do with a bit of content stagnation at the top where those of us who have played for a long time have nothing to challenge us. There's a TON of content on the horizon though - new levels being added to Mausoleum, Aegis, and Pulma, a new dungeon that is basically the size of every existing dungeon combined, and a new continent coming with an expansion in a few months.

The biggest problem the game has at the moment is it's a victim of its own popularity and there just isn't enough room for everyone right now. The good news is that they know this and are working on it!!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

bird food bathtub posted:

If a shard has any player base at all then getting your own house has always, always been a massive un-fun cluster gently caress that makes me hate even trying and eventually drives me to quit.

I've always thought that for any kind of long term viability to a shard there either needs to be a land tax to discourage squatting and slum lords, or a pocket dimension housing for teeny little 8x8 poo poo shacks with no bells or whistles.

Outlands has the Inn system, which is exactly that pocket dimension you speak of!

sonikburn posted:

The Prev coin thing fucks up the economy though, because you can sell it to other players for in-game gold. So you can essentially dump real money into Prev coin, sell it to other players (roughly 18k per coin), and make a shitload of in-game gold without even touching a dungeon. Then buy things like mats, armor, links for you build, etc. That's why I said it's an indirect P2W. Prev coins should've been account bound from the beginning.

Why does that gently caress up the economy, though? It doesn't generate gold, it just makes gold exchange hands, and since you can buy anything with gold that you can with prev there's also a hard cap on the price a prev coin can hit. You can also go mine and lumberjack and make a shitload of gold without even touching a dungeon, so that isn't unique to prev coins.

Prev coins can help you get established quicker, sure, but you quickly reach a point after the initial hump where armor & weapons are effectively infinite anyway because their cost is meaningless compared to what you pull in. You can't buy the thing that actually meaningfully affects player power / progression: XP

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I just don't think it's fair to call that pay to win - it's much more pay for convenience, which is exactly what a donation shop should be. In PvM, I'll put on storebought basic leather and farm 100x faster than someone in the most expensive possible gear with no XP. In PvP, it's 99% about experience and skill and 1% what gear you're using - no amount of gold is going to make your combo timing or evasive maneuvering better.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i took a break for a few months and now i'm back, game is still very good

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Seppuku posted:

Posting so this is higher than the UO legacy thread. There are a handful of goons playing this that post in discord all day every day living their best life.

Expansion is right around the corner and tamers are dumb stupid strong again so it's the perfect time to jump in.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Ristolaz posted:

I'm almost getting frustrated that newbies are still being told to make a peaceadin when tamers are so strong right out of the gate

yeah getting over the initial hump has never been so easy, get to 80 taming, unlock water aspect for dirt cheap, get beastiary/fencing codex and rock n roll