Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
Just wanted to chime in with my experience as a new player here:

I started playing UO outlands about two weeks ago, and hadn't touched a UO free shard since In Por Ylem maybe 8 years ago but got the itch after burning out a little bit on Diablo 2 Resurrected. I hopped into the discord channel - the goon community was immediately welcoming and did everything they could to help me get started - regs, spellbooks, a house to macro in and store my stuff, and answers to every question I could come up with. It isn't explicitly spelled out in the OP, but there are a large number of QOL customizations on Outlands that are totally new to me. In about two weeks, I managed to GM Magery and get a summoner character up and running (I summon elementals and mind blast stuff, basically) and I've been killing monsters to save gold towards buying my first house. I'm at just over a million gold now and some of the smaller houses (8x8 tiles, 1 floor) are already affordable to me, but I think I'm going to save up for something with a little more space. To be where I am at in just two weeks of play is pretty awesome.

Some thoughts / things I came across that are not obvious to new players:

1) There is a lot of cooperative PvM hunting on this server - players will even bring pack horses to hold all the gold and loot they get, then bring back the haul to the guild house and distribute the loot fairly when people are done. This is a cool way to tackle some of the more high risk / high reward content out there. Traveling in numbers also reduces the chances you are preyed upon by reds!

2) There are a few permanent one-way gates out of dungeons placed strategically throughout (maybe 3-4 per dungeon) that can help you escape if murderers show up!

3) Lumberjacking and mining are easier than normal - you don't need to click each tree individually, you double click the hatchet and click yourself and it instead automatically searches the 8 tiles immediately surrounding you for harvestable resources. With this, making money using lumberjacking or mining is way more tolerable than on a typical UO server.

4) With the server being as mature as it is, there is a good bit of gold in circulation. This means that your ingots or boards are worth a ton which is great to help you get started as a new player. There is a consistently strong demand for harvestable resources - I've never had trouble selling them. With this, I was able to fund the reagents for a GM Magery character in about two days of casual lumberjacking. This was greatly sped up by eShep's lumberjacking script!

5) You can loot your own body while invis to make corpse runs easier

6) Player vendors on the server are searchable on https://www.outlandmarket.com/ which makes it easy to get a good sense of what items are worth

7) You auto-demount when you enter a dungeon and auto-remount when you exit the dungeon

8) A lot of the old skills that are literal garbage in UO have been re-tooled to be useful. For example, Camping now gives you increased carrying capacity and the ability to travel around faster than walking (sort of like recalling). Taste identification now provides a buff to you increasing their mana regeneration, and buffs you and allies with resistance to bleeds/poison/disease.

9) There is no one single build that everyone goes for -- there are dozens of ways to play the endgame -- dexxers, archers, bards, tamers, mages, etc are really balanced and truly do have different strengths and weaknesses

1024x768 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
just had an elite pvper attack my lumberjack in a guard zone

now i'm looking cooler than he ever did in this sweet armor