Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Asproigerosis posted:

Texas enjoying the Nebraska curse of firing a serviceable coach thinking it was either playing for titles every year or nothing and now they are just running through coaches and becoming irrelevant.

To be fair even when A&M and OU are both good there's more than enough talent just in Texas for UT to be right up there with them

They have had a run of coaches who simply cannot turn the recruiting stars into on-field production

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
State gonna win the egg bowl running away.... or gently caress it up hilariously

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Sash! posted:

James Franklin is currently 66-32. For two or more score games, his record is 47-12. In one score games, he is 21-20. This is very frustrating.

10-9 over his last 19 games. 2-12 against top 10 opponents including losing 8 in a row. I'll no longer be miffed if he leaves for somewhere else, though I'm not thinking of firing him unless next season looks much the same. Hopefully they can hang on to both their blue chip QB recruits and actually have something to work with there. Not feeling too optimistic at this point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dalmuti posted:

State gonna win the egg bowl running away.... or gently caress it up hilariously

This is every year.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sash! posted:

James Franklin is currently 66-32. For two or more score games, his record is 47-12. In one score games, he is 21-20. This is very frustrating.

A .500 record in one-score games is totally fine.

I get why Penn State fans wouldn't mind seeing Franklin leave, but Franklin feels pretty close to Penn State's ceiling as-is. Penn State has been the best team in the Big 10 not named Ohio State over the past 5 seasons.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

They have had a run of coaches who simply cannot turn the recruiting stars into on-field production

And they never will so long as the boosters who demand stupid bullshit like the Separate but Equal Band are allowed to run the show.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dalmuti posted:

Ole Miss is the better team so I’m not sure why you would think this.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

To be fair even when A&M and OU are both good there's more than enough talent just in Texas for UT to be right up there with them

That's my point, they ran out a perfectly serviceable macklin brown because he wasn't winning titles every year and now they are reaping a bunch of poo poo coaches. They absolutely DESERVE sarkesian.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Missouri's defense looks....below average. This is an incredible turn of events and if anyone other than Bazelak starts the final two games, I'm cautiously optimistic the Tigers might go bowling??

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I get PSU fans frustration with franklin, but looking around at who is available and what's happening with texas, nebraska, etc would give me pause. Same boat as UM in a lot of ways. Take A&M for an example, would PSU be comfortable with a situation like that? Cause it looks like a step towards worse.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Man, what an incredible loss. Sark was an uninspired hire and I’m not optimistic for his tenure at Texas. Team keeps getting worse as the season goes on so I’m unsure what gets fixed in the offseason.

Idk, has been a lost decade so don’t have super high hopes, really just a competent team at this point.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

downout posted:

I get PSU fans frustration with franklin, but looking around at who is available and what's happening with texas, nebraska, etc would give me pause. Same boat as UM in a lot of ways. Take A&M for an example, would PSU be comfortable with a situation like that? Cause it looks like a step towards worse.

Hence why I'd prefer to be more conservative with it and keep him around and see what he's able to do in the next two years. There's a pretty vocal subset that wants him gone yesterday which would just be foolish. If he leaves on his own though, what are you gonna do, ya know? Well, not hire Steve Sarkisian I guess.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Ole Miss is the better team so I’m not sure why you would think this.

You fool. You absolute imbecile. May Allah scorch your soul

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Ok I’ll bite why don’t those wins add up to 66

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

downout posted:

I feel pretty good about where A&M stands, unless you’re taking the salary into account. We’re talented as hell, the defense is elite; we’re probably a quarterback injury away from being 1-loss team. I think we’re in a much healthier place than Penn State.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Henchman of Santa posted:

They are college football's most average team and produce a weird amount of NFL talent. There's something to admire about them.

NC State is always good for one (1) insane upset a year, they're kind of the ACC's equivalent to Kansas State in that respect. Don't know enough about SEC to have that conference equivalent, my eyes just see 'Bama and glaze over.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

South Carolina has 3 more wins all-time than NC State, but that’s off high highs and hideous lows. NC State is always just….kinda there. Kentucky-ish maybe?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Regarding NC State: there is a good reason why the #NCStateShit hashtag exists.

Also Spencer Hall has mentioned that they have to lose at least 4 games per year. Apparently it’s some sort of law.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1459993686738190343

What a disastrous hire. Hopefully this doesn't set the program back too far.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Casey Thompsons threw 6 TDs with a messed up thumb and I bet we still have a "QB controversy" for next week

downout
Jul 6, 2009

General Dog posted:

I feel pretty good about where A&M stands, unless you’re taking the salary into account. We’re talented as hell, the defense is elite; we’re probably a quarterback injury away from being 1-loss team. I think we’re in a much healthier place than Penn State.

PSU without a quarterback injury might be an undefeated team. With lower ranked recruiting classes. Also, I didn't mean to disparage A&M; they have money to do what their doing. It's just a good comparison to think about, and i'm not sure PSU is ready to pay like A&M did. If they did, then I think the fans would have even higher expectations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

This seems like a good assessment (although I don't follow basketball too much... A still open wound from Clangas 1996 loss in the final four.)

NC State it is!

About 95% of State fans I've met are insufferable assholes actually.

They act like they're a blue blood when they're more Wake Forest than Wake Forest is at this point. Still, your call. :)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

About 95% of State fans I've met are insufferable assholes actually.

They act like they're a blue blood when they're more Wake Forest than Wake Forest is at this point. Still, your call. :)

Oh God that reminds me of ole miss.

I'll just give them all a trial run

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jimmy Lake is officially out at Washington:

https://twitter.com/UWAthletics/status/1460005108826075138?s=20

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nick Rolovich somehow wasn't the most embarrassing firing in the state of Washington

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hed posted:

Ok I’ll bite why don’t those wins add up to 66

Because I didn't doublecheck my spreadsheet.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://twitter.com/gkketch/status/1459768438759563265?s=21

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I didn’t watch the UF game Saturday. After sewing up the loose ends on the mother of all hangovers with a few slabs of bacon and some caustic black coffee, I spent the afternoon wandering around the beautiful grounds at Sierra Nevada in Asheville, drinking sparklingly bright wet hopped beer right out of the loving brite tank and laughing at the points and yards being racked up by a basement dwelling SoCon team playing a paycheck game in the swamp.

I don’t have any insider info obviously, but I doubt Stricklin—who brought Mullen to Gainesville—is going to fire him at the end of the season, but I also don’t think Mullen has any business coaching the Gators next season.

After giving up the most points ever—to anyone, much less Samford—in a half of Gator football, he was indignant with media and said it was disrespectful to the game to bemoan a win.

This is clownshoes nonsense and he’s totally lost the narrative.

I will watch us likely lose to Mizzou and FSU the next two weekends, and hopefully we can miss a bowl and put a dagger in this amateur hour bullshit once and for all.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Hearing the Mullen as better than Kirby all last year and right after their Bama game this season was absurd. I’m not saying Kirby is the next Saban but any actual observer had to see that they aren’t on the same level. Kirby makes some… decisions but Mullen is still operating like he is at Mississippi State but he isn’t.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Stricklin is the problem. He seems perfectly happy with Mississippi state part 2 as UFs football program. There’s just nothing there to push Mullen to do better, so he doesn’t.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Hearing the Mullen as better than Kirby all last year and right after their Bama game this season was absurd. I’m not saying Kirby is the next Saban but any actual observer had to see that they aren’t on the same level. Kirby makes some… decisions but Mullen is still operating like he is at Mississippi State but he isn’t.

I've never heard a serious person say this, but Mullen schooled the poo poo out of him last year.

Mullen just doesn't think he has to recruit to keep up with two of the best recruiters of all time which :suicide:

Also, I just kind of hate him. I hate when these smug shitheads don't take responsibility for their failings.

I know you hate Spurrier but he backed up his poo poo-talk all day long and took responsibility when things were going sideway. ALWAYS.

Mullen has failed in Gainesville and it's ugly as hell. Which is a shame because that team last year was a functional defense away from a title.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Based on this weekend I think we can conclude Todd Grantham was the only person keeping y'all in games last year; hard to see how Mullen survives losing him

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Based on this weekend I think we can conclude Todd Grantham was the only person keeping y'all in games last year; hard to see how Mullen survives losing him

Throwing a 31yo LB coach right into playcalling duties against Samford shouldn't have resulted in, well, that. Do we really not have anyone more experienced on staff to take over? Pasqualoni is on staff.

Anyway, I dunno. Throw the whole loving program in the trash.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
MSU had a deceptively bad 19-point win over Maryland. Olave and Wilson are going to curb stomp this secondary.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Losing to ASU is the last straw for yet another Pac 12 coach. They really out Sun Deviled us by blowing that lead. I hope we didn't accidentally save the job of our own coach in the process.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Losing to ASU is the last straw for yet another Pac 12 coach. They really out Sun Deviled us by blowing that lead. I hope we didn't accidentally save the job of our own coach in the process.

Wasn't he suspended for that game anyway?

I mean if it were me I'd take credit too anyway so I'm not calling foul here, just wondering.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If Franklin stays and keeps Yurcich and his recruiting class intact, that's okay. But some assistant coaches need to be sacrificed for how bad the OL and RBs are. He has the best QB in the country coming in and that will buy him a couple of years.

But I also think Franklin is quickly becoming a stale and probably hit his ceiling a couple of years ago. If he takes another job, I won't be very sad because maybe the relationship has run its course and it's time to go a new direction with Rhule.

I think he'll be Penn State's coach next year because his stock has tanked, and it costs $20M to buy him out. So we are stuck with him. USC and other schools would be fools to hire him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Komet posted:

it's time to go a new direction with Rhule.

You know that guy has a job already right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You know that guy has a job already right?

For how long?