Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Come up with some mechanism/law that when you lose weight it somehow fucks over someone else a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
1 Pay people to lose weight
2 gyms and food are available

Bing bong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ain't never seen a fat methhead :thunk:
Basically just lumps together two crisises.

What happens when the tweakers get off the junk? Hella fat toothless people roaming the land demanding spare change and marshmallows.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Icochet posted:

Come up with some mechanism/law that when you lose weight it somehow fucks over someone else a little

Your weight loss is transferred to some "foreign" country

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Colonel Cancer posted:

Ain't never seen a fat methhead :thunk:

It happens, actually. Cuz there's a binge and crash cycle and people eat a lot during/after the crash.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Just eat 2 meals a day like me.
And have those equal about 1.5 meals.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fund infrastructure that can withstand a fat person running

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bootcamp.
No I don't mean a weightloss camp, that's gross and wrong.
I mean forced military service.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I would ban Wizard Master.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mandatory exercise time at 10 am. Doesn't matter what you are doing or where you are, you stop everything and do some pushups, sit-ups, and squats. Driving down the road? Everyone stops driving. Doing surgery? Patient can wait. Being operated on? As long as you're not under get to moving. In a gunfight? Everyone better stop shooting and exercisee. At the gym? Congratulations, you're doing a new set of exercises.

Its enforced by Predator drones and remote snipers like loving Squid Games.

This lasts for 10 minutes and everything goes back to normal afterwards.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

limp_cheese posted:

Its enforced by Predator

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Mandatory exercise time at 10 am. Doesn't matter what you are doing or where you are, you stop everything and do some pushups, sit-ups, and squats. Driving down the road? Everyone stops driving. Doing surgery? Patient can wait. Being operated on? As long as you're not under get to moving. In a gunfight? Everyone better stop shooting and exercisee. At the gym? Congratulations, you're doing a new set of exercises.

This is is the kind of "Can Do" I want in my new administration!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

limp_cheese posted:

Techno music will be played through every speaker in the country during the 10 minutes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Techno music will be played through every speaker in the country during the 10 minutes.

80's Techno I hope

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Install scales under the seats of cars and the car won't start if the driver or any passenger is heavier than 275 pounds.

Professional athletes can get a waiver but it's very expensive

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sophy Wackles posted:

You'll know its 10 am because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU

will start playing.

It will be so effective our enemies will learn playing this song during a battle will cause our soldiers to stop fighting and start exercising.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

LanceHunter posted:

It's absolutely insane how effective Wegovy is. I honestly worry that there is going to be a massive backlash once it is more available, because it is a very serious threat to the profit margins of the fast food and junk food industries.

People like me before Wegovy, whose sense of satiation had been completely destroyed by terrible childhood eating habits, are going out and eating fast food every single day. We are by far that industry's most profitable customers. Now that I'm on Wegovy, though, I spend a fraction of what I used to on junk food.

So don't be surprised when the fast food industry starts whipping up the HAES movement to try and convince people that they shouldn't actually cure their obesity. They're going to lie about its effectiveness. They're going to lie about the side effects. They're going to try and convince you that it is somehow less healthy than carrying a huge amount of extra adipose tissue.

novo nordisk can prolly buy the entire fast food industry from their m&a piggybank, with some fair amount of leverage. pfizer definitely can. absolute lol that anyone except a bigger gorilla (tech major, oil major, bulge bracket bank) can take on pharma lobbyists

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A "Reduction Process" wherein fat people are harvested for their fat. And by paying people to be fat the process pays for itself.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

redshirt posted:

A "Reduction Process" wherein fat people are harvested for their fat. And by paying people to be fat the process pays for itself.

Who pays thousand dollars for a pound of American lard?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Not depressed enough.
I think the key is getting your mind in an endless loop of contemplating your problem. Once you reach the point of "what else can I do? " then you're ready to ride the "food therapy" train.

As so someone who obsesses far too long about my problems before reaching that state, I hate and love how much weight I can lose from sustained stress.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Force the entire country to become FORKLIFT CERTIFIED.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bob dobbs is dead posted:

novo nordisk can prolly buy the entire fast food industry from their m&a piggybank, with some fair amount of leverage. pfizer definitely can. absolute lol that anyone except a bigger gorilla (tech major, oil major, bulge bracket bank) can take on pharma lobbyists

I don't think it's going to be any kind of legal backlash, but a cultural one. Hell, ADM alone could have bought Whole Foods (and the entire organic food industry) with pocket change back in the day. But that industry still managed to build a bunch of bullshit fear around GMOs that is only now starting to subside.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tax the rear end

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Stink Billyums posted:

obesity breaking 50% is bad for society, but should be good for the forums as fat jokes increasingly become a symbol of resistance against the oppressive rotund majority.

Once obesity reaches 50% then fat people will no longer be an oppressed minority and shaming them for their antisocial externalities will be rightfully considered punching up, woke, and intersectional.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

LanceHunter posted:

It's absolutely insane how effective Wegovy is.
So I've heard but the side effects of causing thyroid cancer is a turn off because where I work already raises that chance.

I gotta eat me some more seaweed or get some other sources of iodine because I keep away from salt probably too much.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I'd necro my own thread on 9/11

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

So I've heard but the side effects of causing thyroid cancer is a turn off because where I work already raises that chance.

I gotta eat me some more seaweed or get some other sources of iodine because I keep away from salt probably too much.

See, here we already have someone who has bought in to some disinformation. Semaglutides can pose a risk of aggravating one specific type of cancerous thyroid cell (for medullary thyroid carcinoma - which makes up less than 3% of all thyroid cancer cases).

If you have a history of that specific type of thyroid cancer in your family you may want to avoid GLP-1 treatments (since about 25% of the cases of that type of cancer are hereditary). If you have or ever had medullary thyroid carcinoma then you definitely can't take them, even if it was successfully treated, since the drug could cause issues with any leftover cells. However, if you have an even-halfway competent endocrinologist they're going to check for that long before issuing a prescription. They'll also be checking your thyroid hormone levels while on the treatment as well so that if something does go wrong it can be dealt with quickly.

I had thyroid cancer that was dealt with back in the mid-00s. It was papillary, though, so starting Wegovy wasn't an issue. And in all the time I've been taking it there haven't been any problems with my thyroid hormone levels or the return of any cancer markers.

But yeah, this just proves my point. The fact that this one dangerous but very rare potential side effect is getting blown up as "Semaglutide causes thyroid cancer!" is just the beginning of the backlash we are going to see.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I heard smoking cigarettes or being a "Whole Foods bitch" helps

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I heard smoking cigarettes or being a "Whole Foods bitch" helps

In this economy?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't they invent some medication for this recently? Are there still overweight people?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Simply have the CIA distribute meth.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Didn't they invent some medication for this recently? Are there still overweight people?

You can tell when one has been around because ozembic shits stink like a dead animal

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Ozempic is in severe short supply due the trend to use it for weight loss.

Which is a shame because some Type 2 diabetics are prescribed it for their condition.

To contribute: How about takeaway food vouchers for people who provide a note from their doctor documenting recent weight loss. But with a harsh 3,000 calories per order limit.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

LanceHunter posted:

See, here we already have someone who has bought in to some disinformation. Semaglutides can pose a risk of aggravating one specific type of cancerous thyroid cell (for medullary thyroid carcinoma - which makes up less than 3% of all thyroid cancer cases).
Their own data sheet just says may increase risk of thyroid cancer.

What you said is more nuanced, and helpful so thanks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Micro Drone LASERS

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Stop making new types of Oreos

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

injections. wegovy, mounjaro. map is gonna be wrong if the pharma peeps have anything to say about it

LanceHunter posted:

It's absolutely insane how effective Wegovy is. I honestly worry that there is going to be a massive backlash once it is more available, because it is a very serious threat to the profit margins of the fast food and junk food industries.

People like me before Wegovy, whose sense of satiation had been completely destroyed by terrible childhood eating habits, are going out and eating fast food every single day. We are by far that industry's most profitable customers. Now that I'm on Wegovy, though, I spend a fraction of what I used to on junk food.

So don't be surprised when the fast food industry starts whipping up the HAES movement to try and convince people that they shouldn't actually cure their obesity. They're going to lie about its effectiveness. They're going to lie about the side effects. They're going to try and convince you that it is somehow less healthy than carrying a huge amount of extra adipose tissue.

I started mounjaro a few months ago and it has been an absolute wonder drug. Was 255 when I started and am at 210 today and it's been just under 3 months. The weight loss has slowed a bit but it is still coming off. This was without any major lifestyle changes however I am starting to exercise again now. It also just made me feel much much better in general, like in the first week or two when I hadn't lost much weight at all so it was actually the medication and not losing 45lbs. I have experienced zero side effects. I also found a really cheap source so it's only costing me $115/month whereas walgreens initially wanted $2k+ for a month's supply. It utterly changed my relationship with food. I've lost weight in the past without too much trouble through diet and exercise, but this has just been a completely different experience in how I view and crave food. Interestingly, there is data starting to come out showing that it can actually lower cravings for lots of things and people are quitting things like smoking on it much easier.

Novo Nordisk has made so much money off this class of drugs that Denmark is considering taking it out of economic calculations because it accounted for almost all of their GDP growth. This is still with the drug not being all that widespread, as cost comes down and insurances start to cover this I expect a significant amount of the US population is going to get on these drugs. Provided we don't find out about some horrible long-term side effects in a couple of years I think this will have a real impact on obesity in America and a long term positive impact on general health. There's an even newer drug in this class currently being developed that is showing signs of being even better than mounjaro which is better in turn that ozempic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/28/business/denmark-ozempic-wegovy.html

quote:

The company’s booming success now explains almost all of Denmark’s recent economic growth, and the surge in overseas sales in the drugs is prompting the Danish central bank to keep interest rates lower than it otherwise would, economists say. In the past few weeks, Novo Nordisk’s market value has exceeded the size of the Danish economy. Its soaring share price has made it the second-most valuable public company in Europe, after the luxury goods group LVMH.

The company’s shadow is so expansive that Danish economists are now debating whether the country needs to publish another set of economic statistics that strips out Novo Nordisk. In other words, there’s Novo Nordisk, and there’s the rest of the economy.

Last year, two-thirds of Denmark’s economic growth could be attributed to the pharmaceutical industry, said Jonas Dan Petersen, a chief adviser at Denmark’s national statistics agency, which doesn’t provide company-specific data.

And the impact has grown even more stark: “Without the pharmaceutical industry, there was almost no growth” in economic output in the first quarter of this year from a year earlier, Mr. Petersen added. The Danish economy grew 1.9 percent over that period, with 1.7 percentage points of that contributed by pharma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I bet everyone in the US could stand to take a nice poo poo, probably a bit backed up on the aggregate