Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Feels like this has a lot of crossover with our homelab thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945277

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So I posted my 'Self-Hoting' in the Homlab thread, but I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum: I run a Dell M1000e Bladecenter and two M915 bladeservers that host all my VMs, they are segmented off by virtual switches and firewalls for the Homelab, Production, and Lab environments.

I'm running OpenVPN and WireGuard, the OpenVPN is for classes so I can manage connections for students to the Evil Corp lab environment. All this stuff lives on a TrueNAS instance that provides the storage via bargain SSDs and some spinning rust in ZFS arrays shared via iSCSI and NFS.

The XCP-Ng Hypervisor that hosts the vms has auto failover between the two servers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CopperHound posted:

Hot new zero day exploit dropped. If you're running anything Java based, check out if you are vulnerable. https://www.docker.com/blog/apache-log4j-2-cve-2021-44228/

Wouldn't want y'all to get pwned because you still like Minecraft.

For minecraft the fix is simple: add '-dlog4j2.formatmsgnolookups=true' to your java runtime args.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Matt Zerella posted:

For the record, this is a mitigation not a fix.

Its worth noting this is what log4j 2.15.0 is doing, it just makes it default.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-3198

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Mitigations exist so that you can, quite literally, mitigate an issue on a running production system, until you can schedule a maintenance window to let you patch things properly.

The problem is: Not every system is going to be patched. We like to think that there's a patch of everything. There's not, especially for in house designed stuff that is likely legacy but still generating business value.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sure, you're absolutely right, there are cases where mitigations are the only option - but that's usually a sign that stuff is going to break not just sooner or later, but soon, period.
Also, are you still subscribed to the NAS/Storage thread? Someone was asking for something you might be able to help with.

Agreed. Part of that is setting deadlines for the business to retire legacy products or refactor them to keep them relevant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Asking my neighbors if I can use their basement as DR site

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darwin_ posted:

Honeypots work

e: now thinking about it, they may not be security through obscurity.

Honeypots are most certainly not security through obscurity. In fact they are pivotal now to identifying attackers inside a network now as canaries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NihilCredo posted:

I believe that this is one reason why Wireguard tunneling is pretty much recommended over SSH tunneling nowadays? Besides the (arguably) easier configuration, you can set a keepalive which helps when your home connection goes up and down.

Anyway, to (begin to) answer my own question, it seems I should not have been searching for "hardened" or "minimal" linux distros (because then I get general-purpose stuff like Alpine that needs configuration), but I should have been looking at router- and firewall-oriented distros.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_and_firewall_distributions

I need to dig further, but pfSense and VyOS seem the most promising options. IPFire looked interesting, but they seem to have a strange beef against Wireguard and, in the security/cryptography space, I definitely don't want to go against the herd.

OPNSense is really good as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have a friend that runs a small VoiP phone service provider, mostly targets small/medium businesses because yeah, nobody uses desk phones anymore outside of an office setting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Always follow principle of least privilege wherever possible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

This is why nothing ever gets exposed to the internet.

My favorite fantasy world!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Who cares if its low-powered or obscure, all hosts are acceptable hosts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

The short story is that Tachyoma got a takedown notice from a Korean manwha publisher despite essentially just being a browser and not hosting any of that content. They took the requested extensions down (which included Mangadex, so it really crippled the app's use case), then they took down their entire extension repo except for the handful of self-hosted extensions like komga. The extension repo (predictably) got forked and the commits removing the extensions reverted by other people who then continued to support the extensions, but then Tachi and all its forks needed to be updated to allow for 3rd party repos.

Then Tachiyoma decided to close shop entirely, I assume because they were continuing to get hassled by the Korean manwha publisher despite all their requests being honored, which resulted in a couple of new forks springing up to continue it under new names and new leadership.

Meanwhile, the manwha publisher has been crowing about "defeating piracy" on Twitter over the past week. They didn't actually go after any of the websites which host their manwhas, and those are, of course, still up.

Needless to say, it's been eventful week in the manga reading space.

This won't backfire on the publisher at all, never has. /s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I run Unifi as well and will never go back. My only irritation is their lack of 2.5/5/10GB networking gear for their low-mid level routers and switches, outside their Aggregation switches.

I really want a Unifi Router with at least 1-2 10GB SFPs that isn't crazy expensive.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 2, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hey has anyone setup their Jellyfin server to transcode mkv? I really don't want to use their client apps versus the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So I retired my HP C3000 and brought the Dell VRTX online to replace it and already happier with power consumption, even with running a PCIe GPU passthrough.

I'm running Proxmox on the M630 blade to host VMs/Containers. Still running a seperate R730 + Netapp DS6600 SAS DAS with TrueNAS for storage/mounts

Still fighting Jellyfin on mkv transcoding for the web client.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 17, 2024