Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
This thread got me to switch from Ombi to Overseerr for my Plex requests front end, good stuff.

Probably worth including HomeAssistant in the OP (Home Automation Thread) since one of it's biggest features is the ability to self-host your home automation.

I can also add Muximux as another Heimdall/HOMER dashboard app. Nothing fancy but it's easy to set up and use.

I'll add my newbie endorsement of nginxProxyManager. I tried getting Traefik/LetsEncrypt set up as a reverse proxy when I was first getting into my home server stuff and was constantly banging my head against the wall trying to get the config files set up right and really just struggling with the concept of a reverse proxy in general. Ended up just port forwarding a lot of stuff since I knew how to do that already. Then I tried NPM and it made way more sense and allowed me as a beginner to actually get my networking set up the "right" way. That was a couple years ago so Traefik and LetsEncrypt might be much improved now but I can definitely speak to NPMs user friendly-ness.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

tuyop posted:

Thanks for dropping Overseerr here. I added it today and it loving rules.

Edit: I just wish it worked like JustWatch or something and it could tell a user if a movie is hosted on a streaming service before they make the request.

It does! It's near the bottom of the table here.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Overseerr also led me to LunaSea which is basically a mobile app version of HOMER/Muximux that supports the *arr apps, Tautulli, and NZB. Pretty nice.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

From a security standpoint, I only expose things that support SSO or MFA. So for me it's just Overseerr (with only Plex login enabled). And yeah everything else sits behind wireguard.

Please all, NPM/traefik are awesome but basic auth is not secure in any way even over SSL unless you've got some kind of IP ban mechanism in place.

Completely agree, the only things I have exposed are Overseerr (Plex OAuth), Tautulli (Plex OAuth), Nextcloud (MFA), and HomeAssistant (MFA). Everything else lives behind Wireguard. I always die a little inside when I see posts on the Unraid forums asking how to expose their server UI externally even after being told about Wireguard, which is insanely easy to set up on Unraid.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 18, 2021

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Iberocorp has a bunch of videos for Authelia on YouTube. It's UnRAID focus but will work fine for any docker based deployment.

The big problem I have with it is it's fine as a gate keeping mechanism (kind of) but it doesn't pass the token through to your underlying service.

Still better than nothing and not any knock against it. Honestly though I still wouldn't expose anything I don't have to.

My only open services are Overseearr (only plex login), Nextcloud (2FA enforced), and Plex. Everything else is behind Wireguard.

Came here to say almost exactly this. Can definitely recommend both Ibracorp and Spaceinvader One's tutorials for all of this, from NGINX Reverse Proxy to DuckDNS to Cloudflare to Wireguard to Authelia. I can also say from personal experience that unRAID is pretty great if you're new to Linux/Docker, but like Matt said, you can still use the guides with regular docker deployments.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

That Works posted:

I don't know what's what with google renaming lots of different things over the years. Does this mean that a regular gmail account is going to become a paid service?

No, this is just for people using the G-Suite for Business service, regular personal Gmail accounts fall under their "Google One" product and aren't being changed.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Just set up a VM with your games and Parsec, passing through your GPU, and connect in from whatever other computer you want. I haven't tried it with any FPS or other response time dependent games but I play Indie and RTS games streaming from my desktop to my laptop all the time now and it works pretty great.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

tagesschau posted:

Just make sure that all of your homes have an MX in them. How likely is it that both your summer and your winter home would lose power at the same time?

brb, gotta amend my taxes to declare my second residence as a DR site so I can write off the mortgage as a business expense.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

nine16thsdago posted:

didn't see this in the thread so far, so: how about self-hosting some sort of chat? anyone have any experience there? i've set up and played with a matrix protocol server (synapse) and have in the past played with different jabber servers as well. it seems like the consensus is something like, "use matrix to replace slack/IRC - use jabber for instant messaging."

edit: guess i should have mentioned we have used/prefer hangouts to SMS for family/friends individual IM as well as group chat

Nextcloud has "Nextcloud Talk" that can do both video and text chat, and I've had co-workers talk about using Mattermost to replace Slack, but I haven't tried either so I can't speak to their features or ease of use.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Look, if we're running IRC then it's Microsoft Comic Chat or nothing :colbert:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I've got Nextcloud on an old PC that I'm using as a Proxmox host. I'm running a few things on that but Nextcloud is the only thing I expose to the world.

I'm looking to put more layers in between me and the internet since I'm about to use Nextcloud more and more. Specifically I'm looking to set up DNS for it but I'd rather my residential IP not get resolved. What would be the best way of obfuscating this? Maybe Cloudflare?

I'm certainly not an infosec expert but my understanding is that Cloudflare with "SSL/TLS" set to "full" and the CNAME records set to "proxied" will resolve all requests to a Cloudflare IP and obfuscate yours. That's what I'm currently using along with a reverse proxy.

But if you're the only person requiring that external access then like odiv said, WireGuard is ideal.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 1, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I'm using Nginx Proxy Manager locally.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

My extended family send out an email asking about a good low/no cost solution for creating a sort of family photo repository. Basically a place where family can share photos with each other. After watching them all fight about the standard cloud hosts I'm at the point where I'm willing to just host it myself on my home server. I was planning on just using Nextcloud but I wanted to know if there were other options I should consider.

Requirements:
-Easy user management/account creation/permissions
-UI/UX that is non-tech/old people friendly

Nice-to-haves
-Ability to upload multiple photos all at once
-Desktop/Phone client
-Ability to comment on photos

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Continuing the Ceph talk, how doable would it be to host it on a RPI cluster? Like a couple of OSDs and the like. What would I need and how fault tolerant could I get it?

Jeff Geerling did this in one of his recent videos. Now, he was clustering them on a dedicated board so I'm not sure how different would be to cluster them independently but he gives a decent overview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecdm3oA-QdQ

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

What's everyone using for PDFs these days? I've been using Drawboard PDF on my SurfaceBook forever and it's great but I'm finally replacing the laptop and figured I'd see what's out there since the new machine doesn't have a touchscreen (the main reason I went with Drawboard initially).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I've been using Cloudflare for a while and it's great. I didn't really appreciate it enough until a friend of mine needed help troubleshooting his business website that he registered through GoDaddy and that was a miserable experience.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

To automate :filez: downloads and make an automatically populating plex library as episodes of shows or movies are released.

It also makes library cleanup and standardization easier. So if you have a ton of rips but never standardized how they were named or organized it's a godsend. Way better than manually renaming every episode of a TV show so Plex recognizes it

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nextcloud probably sees the most use from me from its webDAV server which I use to sync my ebook reader (Moon+ Reader) on Android across devices, sync Joplin, and automatically backup Aegis. You can just create a dotfile in your home and then point your services to that via the webDav and it'll stay hidden from your web viewer unless you specifically set it to show hidden files.
Yeah, webDAV is what I initially used it for to sync my family's calendars. Then I went to set up a 2FA integration and accidentally locked myself out and decided it wasn't worth the effort to fix/rebuild.

If you just want a self-hosted Dropbox for files it's pretty good and having apps for Windows/Android/iOS is handy but everything else it has just seems extremely niche or doesn't quite work the way it should.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

fletcher posted:

Are there any self-hosted imgur clones? Not looking to open something up for public use, this would just be for personal use.

I came across picsur and it looked promising: https://github.com/caramelfur/picsur

Awesome-selfhosted has a lot of options listed. I've heard good stuff for Piwigo. The Nextcloud one is the only one I've tried and it was... fine?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

bawfuls posted:

This week I got my first home server/NAS build up and running on unraid. The main function (Plex) is working well, so now I’m exploring other possible uses.

One of these is a nanny cam for our dogs, with the ability to peek in from our phones while we’re not at home. Security is obviously critical here, as this would be a camera and microphone inside our living room. I don’t even know where to start to look for the pieces that will make this possible. There are of course off the shelf options which host on Amazon or some other corporation’s servers but per the spirit of this thread I want to host it myself.

Anyone here done this before and have recommendations? Or maybe there’s no sufficiently secure way to do this at all?

Not sure about the hardware side, but in terms of being able to securely see the camera feed assuming it's being fed to the server, Unraid has Wireguard built into it which makes it easy to set up a VPN link from your server to your mobile devices so you can get to any app without needing to expose any ports. Or you can install Tailscale which uses the same tech but eliminates the need for any Public IP updates (though this means it's a semi-cloud service). So as long as you can find a camera that can be fully locally hosted you can definitely do this securely.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

So I'll use my setup as an example, I have Wireguard set to point to a web domain I own and use Cloudflare to handle DNS. So in Cloudflare I have an A Record that points to my public IP address so traffic gets routed to the right place. Occasionally my ISP will change my public IP and that A Record needs to get updated with the new IP (in the app store is a containerized script called Cloudflare ddns to do this automatically for me). If you don't have a domain you can configure Wireguard directly with your Public IP but you have to update every device's config when that IP changes.

Tailscale basically handles all that DNS stuff for you, so their app is Wireguard plus a service that calls out to Tailscale's servers occasionally with your public IP so that if your IP changes it gets updated automatically at their end. It means setup is super simple but it also means that if Tailscale goes down you'll lose connection because the traffic basically routes through them.

I actually also have Tailscale implemented on my PiKVM as a backup, it is fantastically simple to set up.

Also, I'm not sure if this is just because of how I have it configured but Wireguard lets me connect and then have regular access to my home network, Tailscale is device to device.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

bawfuls posted:

I thought I saw in a spaceinvaderone video that there’s a way to do the wireguard setup, and have the IP updated automatically when it changes, without your own domain, by using duck dns. But maybe I misunderstood what he was explaining there?
Yeah, it's essentially the same process but you're using DuckDNS for the domain and DNS handling vs something like Cloudflare.

bawfuls posted:

For now I’m not interested in off site backups of the camera feeds as this is just dog monitoring while we’re out of the house for a few hours at a time. Down the road if we decide to add exterior security cameras I could see the benefit of off site backups there.
To clarify, I'm not using it for another system that's doing off-site backups (though that's definitely a valid use case), I use it as a backup VPN to Wireguard in case my main server is down for some reason.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

You can do the same thing with Tailscale if you have a pihole set up. Their documentation assumes you’re running it on a Raspberry Pi but it works on anything that can run the software. I have it set up this way so I can access my home network remotely without having to run Tailscale on every machine.

https://tailscale.com/kb/1114/pi-hole/

Good to know! I sort of assumed this was possible since, again, Tailscale uses Wireguard, but I haven't poked around enough in it to really understand what it can do. I did the "install from the CLI and it just works" and declared that good enough since really the purpose it to get me into the PiKVM so I can then get my Unraid server back online with it's Wireguard, lol.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Just started using Proxmox a couple of months ago and it's pretty great.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I have a 1000 generation Nvidia card passthroughed on proxmox and it works fine as a remote Steam machine. I considered using it for Plex but I've never had a problem using CPU only for encoding.

I followed instructions straight off of Proxmox's site.

Same here, I have a 1060 passed through to a VM in Proxmox for a remote gaming computer and it was dead simple to set up. I haven't tried Plex there but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work or would be any more difficult, it works just like a regular PC with a GPU in it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Flyndre posted:

I've finally got around to set up Radarr, Sonarr, Prowlarr, Jellyfin and Jellyseerr on my Synology NAS, and it seems to work well.

One question: What is the workflow supposed to be like, when I add an older TV-show to Sonarr where I also want to download older seasons? For some of the shows it only finds the newest episodes. As far as I've understood, this is intended behaviour since it's based on RSS-feeds from the index providers. Do I then need to grab older episodes manually (which I've seen that I can do in the GUI), or is there a cleverer solution?

For older shows/seasons it's usually a game of "see what it can find on its own and then manually hunt down any others." Sometimes this can be done via the manual search in Sonarr but there are still times I have to do it the old fashioned way.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does anyone have any recommended super cheap video cards for a server who's cpu doesn't have an integrated GPU? The super old gpu I had dropped in there to let me access the bios/uefi if needed kicked the bucket and now I need a new one.

If all you need is video out then you can find old Radeon HD cards for like :10bux: all day long on ebay/marketplace that came out of workstations and servers for exactly this purpose.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

flappin fish posted:

Personally, I use and like Immich, but they're not kidding when they say it's under active development - I've had to go in and tinker with the docker-compose.yml file a few times to keep it working after updates.

Other people in this thread have talked about using PhotoPrism and NextCloud, which should have apps also. There are a couple of other options listed here. I can't say how well they'll scale to 10TB of photos. In particular, Immich and PhotoPrism use a lot of machine learning for facial recognition and search, so importing that many images will take a while. There might be other, easier, options if you already have your photos nicely organized and just need to let people browse through folders.

Depending on your setup, there's also the extra step of making it accessible outside the LAN. My solution was to install Tailscale, limit things to immediate family, and not worry about it too much, but that may not be feasible for you.

It might be worth mentioning that SpaceinvaderOne just released a tutorial for Immich. I haven't watched it since it's not something I use but his stuff is usually really helpful for getting stuff up and running.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Aware posted:

Yes this is how Plex sharing works, however if you don't allow them to hit your Plex server directly via port forward you are limiting your users to 1-2mbps of transcoded poo poo quality via plexs proxy servers.

Plex will try and use UPnP for this so you may be unaware your router is opening a port for this if you didn't explicitly create one.

I have mine behind a reverse proxy. As long as you set a custom server access URL in your settings you don't need to open anything other than 80/443 and they don't have to suffer through the Plex proxy.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Aware posted:

That's cool but it doesnt really add much unless you want people to access your Plex via your own domain directly (vs via Plex.tv)

The original question I think was about if Wireguard is something to deploy for your remote streaming users and generally the answer is no, you need to expose it to the internet in some way unless you have particularly savvy users who use a phone or PC only to watch Plex.

I gotcha, I thought you were saying that the only way to avoid being banished to the Plex relay was to specifically forward 32400.

Matt Zerella posted:

Is it only the port thing for you? Are you exposing other service on that reverse proxy? Otherwise this seems a bit pointless and you're adding encryption stress to your reverse proxy (Plex already encrypts data via the plex.direct letsencrypt cert).

Yeah, I have a couple of other externally accessible services. Setting all of that up just for Plex would probably be excessive.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 15, 2024

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

Also, have you checked if your IP actually changes? I have a dynamic IP in theory, but in practice my IP has remained the same for years on my cable modem.

and even if it does there are containers you can spin up to update your A Record automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

Here's the thing. I'm not looking into self-hosting for any deep philosophical reason, I just want to host a simple personal/hobby website. And the reason I'm pursuing the self-hosting option is that I found the cloud deployment path even *more* inscrutable. The amount of layers, glue, 3rd party tools, shell interfaces, opaque pricing tiers...where does the madness end!
Fair point, I'm a little spoiled by my server's OS making doing this super simple. Assuming you're using Cloudflare for the DNS stuff there are a lot of good guides out there that will walk you through creating a scheduled script in either bash or powershell so as long as you're fine with some copy/paste and can follow the guide through Cloudflare's menu to create your API key and zone it's not too bad.