Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just set up an rpi with minidlna because I got fed up with spotify. Omg so much better. It's Instant. And bubbleupnp is a great remote control app.

I tried plex in the past. Overwrought imho. One billion features and none of them work. Or has it gotten better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I also run a nextcloud. It's great, so long as you don't use any of the features or apps, because they don't really work, and especially not together (like "encryption" + "group folders") and hit me up if you wanna bet on what "featured apps" are still supported in the next major, or if feature breakage is going to be introduced in the next minor. I was hoping I could use it for photo management, but as was said it doesn't really work for that.

I am very much still in the market for a photo management solution if anyone has a recommendation. I tried photoprism when that was new, but I seem to recall not quite being able to get it to do what I wanted. Maybe it was the single user thing that turned me off it, can't recall precisely...

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My setup is megastupid :) it's just dlna in my home. I put poo poo on the rpi and then -and here is the kicker- I can play it! When I want to! Doesn't matter what spotify jerk had what disagreement with what music producer asshat that week. My transaction is done, my media's on my media, on my network, which works, so suck it!

The other main reason I did this is so I can bring my music collection with me in my pocket and play it with ease in places of bad internet, where the neighbors are sucking netflix all through the same straw. Drinking my milkshake, as it were.

Oh, and dlna makes it so others can play it too, on the wifi speaker. If it weren't for that little nice-to-have I suppose I could have just put it all on my laptop or whatever.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 15, 2021