Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There's a couple of versions of this that all seem to work the same, but a self-hosted speedtest has helped me figure out a few issues with other self hosted services. https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/librespeed/. Very simple to setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I've been using Tdarr with 2 Nvenc nodes and been quite happy with the results. But I'm not giving it access to my actual library like it's designed for, just dragging things into a separate folder that I want it to reencode and then reimporting that media with sonarr/radarr.

Opening a video I've converted and the original and watching one randomly on my 65" TV I can't reliably tell which is which. Several times I thought I saw an issue on the converted, but when checked the original it was there as well, faithfully recreated. Not to say there is no differences or issues. Bringing them up side by side and looking closely at edges and other likely trouble spots you will spot differences. But they're not things that would bother you in normal watching without that direct comparison.

I'm not bothering with movies at the moment, it's not worth the file size difference to decide on a movie by movie basis if it's worth converting.
For shows I started with things like cooking/reality shows, office sitcoms, and other shows where the visual quality was simply unimportant. Saved a ton of space here as many of these shows have tons of episodes.
I avoid shows where I care about the visual quality or were well known for impressive cinematography, special effects, etc. I've been caring about this less and less as I've been going. Can keep 4k versions of media for the really impressive visual stuff.
Also avoiding shows with potential issues like older shows with film grain, or shows I think might be hard to track down original or similar quality original files again.

If I was starting over from scratch I would create multiple root paths in sonarr/radarr to separate out different tiers of quality for shows/movies. I would also make sure to use Trash's guides for sonarr/radarr naming to have various source and video codec info in the filename, which you could use for more advanced tdarr rules. You can do some pretty neat automation stuff with it, having it only work on files older than X months, different rules for Amazon releases, ignoring HDR files, etc.

Lastly while I don't really know what I'm doing and don't recommend copying me, for actual converting I started with the "Tiered FFMPEG NVENC settings depending on resolution" but bumped up the quality a bit. 500kbs extra for 720p and 1080p files target and max bitrates , as well as enabling b frames as my 3000 series supports them. That plugins ability to base the bitrate on the original source file seems totally busted though.

For playback on Plex/Emby it's largely fine, device support is near universal but browsers will need to transcode.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I use this as a docker container. https://github.com/librespeed/speedtest

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Also look at Cloudflare tunnel for things you want to expose to the internet. It is super easy to setup and manage. Don't route video through it though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

That's specifically for the cloudflare tunnel, where they terminate SSL on their end and send the traffic to you in a VPN.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I use the SWAG docker container (formerly letsencrypt, name changes to avoid confusion) for an external facing reverse proxy.

I also separately have HA Proxy running on my pfsense router that is only listening on my trusted LAN interface that I can use to give anything internal a nice green padlock and avoid security warnings. You can definitely live without this, but it's nice.
A note mostly to homelabbers, I use a unique URL for the HA proxy address, one that doesn't match a machine or VM name since any non http/https connections to that FQDN will go to pfsense now and not to the HA proxy destination.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

It was brought up in the Plex thread in a slight derail, but thought it was better to talk about it here. Using code-server with Unraid's appdata folder mounted has been great. Especially using the dockermod for swag which autoreloads nginx when it detects valid changes. Thanks Matt Zerella

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

If you're only hosting one or two things and are using cloudflare already to proxy the domain via cloudflare DNS you may be better off just setting up a cloudflare tunnel right to whatever you're selfhosting and foregoing a reverse proxy and exposing a port on your network at all.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Some of the cloudflare tunnel stuff can be confusing because it's very similar to their DNS proxy feature, and there's lots of guides and tutorials that will come up when searching either for that or just with outdated information on setting up cloudflare tunnels. This one goes through the tech, does some basic setup from start to finish, and shows off some of the cooler things you can do with it, like a basic 2 step feature that allows access based on email domain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojWaJQvqiw

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Not recommending one over the other, but Authentik is another service that exists and fulfills a very similar role to Authelia. Really just mentioning it so you can look at both before setting up one and realizing you want to use the other.

The main thing I'd want to put behind one of those myself would be Emby, but while you can get this working with the web it will break any mobile/tv/set top apps that use an app to connect. I'd guess Jellyfin would have a similar limitation, but it being open source, who knows?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Auth in front of nginx, be it Authelia, Authentik, basicAuth, Cloudflare tunnel 2step, whatever will break smart tvs and mobile apps connecting to emby/jellyfin.
Tailscale is available on apple TVs now, so it may be more practical to "just use a VPN" then it used to be for AppleTV/Android based set top boxes.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I do like putting some kind of auth, even http basic auth in front of services, but it too will break Emby/Jellyfin smart tv/mobile apps.
There's a couple of self hosted type services that will let you specify a basic auth user/password and their own user/password, but not these. Well afaik, not super up to date with Jellyfin's apps.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Dockge looks to be an excellent tool for managing the various docker based selfhosted apps/services while using regular ol' Docker compose.

You get a pretty basic WebUI where you can deploy the stacks, edit existing compose.yml files, and start/stop/update/restart your services. You also get a web console that can run commands on the host or inside individual containers. You can see the progress of containers being pulled/started and view the logs of running containers.

Behind the scenes you specify a "stacks" folder, and Dockge creates a subfolder inside there for each service, where the associated compose.yaml file for it will live and it assumes you will place application configs and things.

What I like about this is just using Docker compose, it's not taking over anything or using it's own weird thing. You can create and deploy a container inside that stacks folder however you want and manage it with this, or edit a container this created using whatever program and tools you'd like.

Having used Unraid for a long time, I've gotten really used to having basic management of containers being just 1 or 2 clicks away, and found that very useful when dealing with basic self hosted services which are typically single instances running on singular hardware, and not dealing at all with swarms or scaling or everything enterprise docker related, and this gives me that.
I've tried Portainer and it's fine, but always felt over-engineered and clunky.

It's open source and from the same developer as uptime-kuma, with a similar UI to that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWAlOQeNpgU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Hughlander posted:

That looks cool, does it support either fragments of compose files and/or .env files?
I'm not familiar with fragments. For .env files dockge supports them, and you can view and edit one per stack in its interface, but it doesn't do anything like support a single global env file that is automatically available to any new containers, or updated automatically across all your stacks when you update it.

Motronic posted:

I'm still confused as to what's wrong with the community/free addition of Portainer. It's all quire straightforward, in the standard repos and just works.
Portainer is fine, and I meant that. One example of where it felt clunky to me was updating a running container. The portainer process for this wasn't hard, but it was too many steps for something I wanted to do with a single click in a GUI. Portainer is stop the container, go into the container, click recreate, enable re-pull image, click recreate again.

As Nitrousoxide says, this will work alongside other solutions. So if you did have a (IMO) a more homelabby type solution like fletcher's "CI/CD that runs ansible and git auto-deploying to a server" this could work alongside that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Why not just run watchtower and automate it that process?
I'm not actually auto-updating any docker containers, just doing updates somewhat arbitrarily or when things break.
I try to use either the official developer or some bigger group like linuxserver if that's an option, but some container's are maintained by random internet people. How securely did "adolfintel" who maintains a speedtest container secure his dockerhub account, or "alexta69" who made a yt-dlp front end webui container?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Two management options to consider if you wanted to keep your 2 sonarr/radarr instances setup.
There's a tool called called syncarr that lets you sync two instances, so if you added something to your 4k radarr it would also add it to the normal radarr.
You also could set up overseerr/jellyseerr, which supports a separate 4k instance of radarr/sonarr and will let you request and add media to any of them from its single interface.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Right on, I'll give it a go. Will start by researching/figuring out the best approach to getting an OS and as dumb simple of a container management system on it as possible. I absolutely adore Unraid's docker management/store for this. Hoping to find a solution that's comparable to it for doing so. Once I have that running, should be trivial to get it running and transferring over data to see how it performs.

I'd just slap Unraid on this box and pay the easy $60 fee to go with what I know, but I believe the limitation is the Linux version for Unraid doesn't support everything needed for transcoding.

Check out dockge for an unraid-esque webUI for container management that under the hood is just ordinary docker compose. https://github.com/louislam/dockge

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

You don't need to keep the controller running, once it's setup you can turn it off and the wifi will continue to work fully functional. Just turn the controller software back on every few months for updates or when you need to make changes. You can install it on docker, or just on your normal computer.

Having it run somewhere 24/7 you can get logs and statistics and things, check what devices are connected, etc.

And I think you will need to go and reset them with a paper clip or pin in order to be able to adopt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

You don't have to use cloudflare as your registrar to use their DDNS and other services. Once you have a domain you can change the nameservers to let cloudflare manage your DNS for that domain without transferring registrars.

There's a variety of free DDNS sites as well besides no-ip. I know duck dns is popular because you can use it with letsencrypt certs for free.