Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for guidance on how to better execute on my self-hosted setup. It might be in the OP, but I'm too dumb to piece it together.

What I have is a Windows box that is running a handful of services I want to be able to expose to the Internet. Those services are things like a MySQL database, a Minecraft Server, etc. Right now it's all running on bear metal and the way I'm doing this is just port forwarding and connecting via IPv4, but without a static address so things like my Minecraft Server has an ever-changing address and this is highly suboptimal. For some things, I've solved this with ngrok, but it doesn't seem to be able to do all the things (e.g. the Minecraft Server doesn't seem to play nice with ngrok for reasons I don't understand)

If I can actually figure this out, what I want is a more robust box running Windows VMs, accessible via DNS. Before I put money into a bigger box though and setup slightly more real infrastructure though, I really need to figure out this external addressing poo poo. I'm not sure what the Right Way™ to access my services reliably and consistently from the Internet actually is. Maybe it lies somewhere with ngrok and I just need to get gud. A static address is ideal, but is not in the cards.

So goons: How do I setup my box so I can talk to it from the Internet without static addressing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
After using various cloud services both personally and professionally for the last decade or so, I'm completely loving over it boys.

This last weekend I setup my own server infrastructure at my house to just spin up my own infra because cloud services aren't cheap, aren't flexible, and aren't really paying dividends on simplicity either.

One of the last piece of my personal infra puzzle I need to solve is data backup. For this, I probably actually will still use cold storage in the cloud. I'm currently thinking of just shipping nightlies to Azure cold storage as a disaster recovery strategy. Anyone have experience with Azure or other bulk data storage services?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
e: whoops wrong thread

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 21, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Billy Ray Blowjob posted:

I'd just like to acknowledge how everyone who says Docker and containers are easy, and how in real life its worse than using Linux in 2004.

I went from VMs, to containers and have recently went back to VMs for everything.

The cost is that I consume more memory and compute per service, but they are substantially easier to manage,and substantially easier to expand. And I get to keep my sanity....

I think there are still situations where I'd do the whole k8s thing again, but the scale would have to be extremely huge, or the service would have to require crazy flexibility to spin up and spin down