Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
A NAS is just a machine that can provide network access to storage. The term “NAS” is just a word that describes the purpose or main responsibility of a machine.

A pi could be a NAS. Your desktop could be a NAS. A Steam Deck could be a NAS. A NAS is just a machine that can access a network, access some storage, and process requests to that storage from the network.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does anyone have any recommended super cheap video cards for a server who's cpu doesn't have an integrated GPU? The super old gpu I had dropped in there to let me access the bios/uefi if needed kicked the bucket and now I need a new one.

ARC A310.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TraderStav posted:

Following up on earlier conversations regarding Plex transcoding. Can I please get a recommendation on a solid CPU to build a machine around? Budget is not infinite, but I'm not afraid to spend some cash. All in $700-1000 for a replacement for my current Unraid box (no hard drives needed) unless my needs are indicating I need to increase the budget. I'm just quite confused at the landscape (quicksync?) trying to understand what I should be looking at to get 2-3 4K transcodes going along with all of the other items that I'll be having on my system, which are likely very low powered and may just mean more RAM.

The options as I see them right now would be:
- Keep the older processor UnRaid server as it is right now, but build a new machine with a smaller form factor mini-PC that meets the above requirements for Plex duty alone. Maybe one of those that you can'[t even install a PCI card into. I imagine reading 4K content off of my on-site NAS shouldn't be a bottleneck/concern at all versus being hosted on the same machine as the NAS
- Rebuild it all into a new machine and retire the old one. Which I would get a replacement case and standard form factor so PCI cards (for the raid card for my JBOD) wouldn't be an issue.

Any input is super appreciated. I can sort out all of the appropriate RAM and other items once I identify the target CPU that I should be getting. Thanks!

It will require the 6.2 Linux kernel, but the Intel ARC gpu's are fantastic little encoders. Would mean you would not need such as expensive of a CPU. I believe Asrock even make a single slot A310 or A380.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

TraderStav posted:

Perhaps I'm being obtuse, or was being obtuse. But if I spun up this Ubuntu box to be a dedicated Plex server, any reason for me to use Docker instead of just installing the app that the default Ubuntu install recommends? Just realized that I may be vastly overcomplicating my life here with all this portainer/etc. business. What am I missing that Docker brings in this scenario, provided I'm backing up my Plex settings/data to my NAS?

Not worrying about dependencies breaking from updates.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Matt Zerella posted:

Looks like UnRAID might be switching to yearly updates subscription model and that would probably be the end of it for me. It's been a good run but I guess it's finally time to move over to full fat Linux since I'm comfortable with it.

Is ZFS ok on Rocky Linux? I prefer RedHat based distros but I'd like to avoid the bleeding edge Fedora.

If I went Debian I'd probably stick to vanilla Debian as I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu. I'm pretty sure ZFS is fine there.

My plan would be to do most of my configuration with Ansible (so it's repeatable in case of a disaster). And use Portainer for docker management.

I'm guessing TrueNAS Scale is not an option? It runs on Debian, iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

fletcher posted:

drat! Thanks for the info. I don't mind using my own account, I just like having the clear chronological order of an RSS feed and the ease of seeing read vs. unread posts. Having it consolidated with the rest of my RSS feeds would be nice as well.

You probably still could, but you would then have to pay Twitter for API access and they are charging truly exorbitant amounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you do want to game on a Linux OS that will not be your NAS OS and you’re looking at Fedora, consider Bazzite. It is basically the Fedora Silverblue/Kinoite but configured with a bunch of gaming focused changes.