Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Since we're still on the first page of this and someone like me might just read down a bit, I wanted to mention that if you're not familiar with this stuff and it seems too complex, I used syncthing to archive/backup photos and videos from my phone onto my server, it was very easy to do.
Yeah, the barrier to entry is definitely lower than it was a decade ago.

You could still do all these things then, but you had to have the right eldrich clothing and make appropriate blood sacrifices - or as it's commonly called, be a server admin - whereas now a lot of it is a lot easier, not least because of things like LetsEncrypt without which most of these things would be a lot more up-hill.

That being said, there's still a benefit to not using the turn-key solutions, which is that they're automatically a much larger target, as these kinds of web-facing software stacks are typically what's being explored by the people who're interested in taking over infrastructure and using it for their own - whether it be to mine crypto (relatively benign, even if not good), send spam (a problem if you ever want to host a mail server, mostly - because of blacklists), host all sorts of bad things (anything from virus to the sort of things that can land you in jail), or any combination thereof.
Which is not to say that it can't also be used by spearphishers or targeted attacks, but that's true for anything.

So at the very least I hope that the people who're reading the thread also make sure that they know how to keep something up-to-date, and ensure that it is kept up-to-date. My experience tells me it's not something one should always take for granted.
Maybe it's even something that can be mentioned in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

bobfather posted:

If you do that, you might as well mention self-hosting Wireguard as being the easiest way to VPN in to access services that should not be exposed to the internet.
To add to this, algo makes it easy to setup IPsec if you'd like to be able to simply send someone a profile or QR code that they can import on their Android or iOS phone, Windows PC/laptop, Macbook, or something that someone non-technical might use, who shouldn't have to install a third-party software and configure it, just to use a VPN.

EDIT: Welp, algo apparently supports wireguard too now. :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 18, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Any of y'all have a certain way you like to implement DNS to local non routable ips? Do you use a valid global tld like server.local.plsdonotpwnme.com or something like myserver.lan?
The official standards exist and even mention .local and .workgroup - and while there used to be problems with it when combined with Apples zero-conf known as Bonjour, they're mostly fixed now so unless you have really old gear, you can use .local just fine.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Keito posted:

It really is just a mention though, not a standard nor a suggestion that they should be used. RFC8375 proposes that "home.arpa" be designated for this kind of use case in home networks.
Yeah, I linked the wrong standard. This is the one I was thinking of - while it covers mDNS, it also makes it explicit (and IANA agrees) that it's reserved so will never be used anywhere that could lead to issues.
And like I said, the interoperability issues between Bonjour and use of .local for non-mDNS use have been fixed unless you're running decades-old software.

Then again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing .home even if you don't have decades-old Apple software. :shrug:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Murphy works in mysterious ways.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's absolutely the proper way to go about things, yeah.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

I've been spending the past week or two giving myself a crash course on self hosted kubernetes clusters. I just barely got the self contained ha control plane and load balancer figured out along with basic ingress with traefik. If I find it at all practical for home use I'll try posting a guide to get some basic stuff hosted.

Holy hell this is a steep learning curve compared to unraid docker containers.
kubernetes is made for hyperscalers that need massive scale-out orchestration
nobody else should ever touch it, ever, on penalty of being tickled

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Whole lot of people use their homelabs to host things and learn. K3s is perfectly fine for an Arr/Plex/Dowloading setup.
Sure, but k3s isn't kubernetes.

The point I was trying to make is that kubernetes was made to solve a very specific issue, which is orchestration of massive scale-out workloads that are only encountered by hyperscalers.

Can you use kubernetes for your homelab to learn the basics? Sure, but you're not going to learn about the things make it make sense for the hyperscalers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

You'll still have the joy of not properly formatting your YML and debugging it for hours until you see the errant space.
I mean if that's what you're into, you can get your kicks from basically anywhere else that isn't UCL.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

For the record, this is a mitigation not a fix.
The amount of people who don't make that distinction is truly depressing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mitigations exist so that you can, quite literally, mitigate an issue on a running production system, until you can schedule a maintenance window to let you patch things properly.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is: Not every system is going to be patched. We like to think that there's a patch of everything. There's not, especially for in house designed stuff that is likely legacy but still generating business value.
Sure, you're absolutely right, there are cases where mitigations are the only option - but that's usually a sign that stuff is going to break not just sooner or later, but soon, period.
Also, are you still subscribed to the NAS/Storage thread? Someone was asking for something you might be able to help with.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The unifi controller is also available as a package most places.

:ninja:EDIT: Well, I say that, but I typed the URI from memory, and it looks like it's mostly not up-to-date unless you're using FreeBSD, pkgsrc (so NetBSD or anything pkcsrc installs on), or some user repositories for certain Linux distributions :ohdear:

RealEDIT:

bobfather posted:

If you self-host a UniFi controller, version 6.5.54 has the log4j mitigation. Update your machines!

If you are interested in self-hosting UniFi Controller, I have found this script to be easy.
It should go without saying, but BE VERY CAREFUL about curling a bash script into your shell (which is effectively what these instructions involve), as it's essentially the same as giving someone remote code execution privileges on your shell, with the added option of enabling privilege escalation for them for free if sudo or doas is involved.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 13, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I suspect there's going to be a lot more people wanting to do self-hosting, since Google announced that they're shutting down the G.Suite free tier.

This is a guide on how to self-host email on FreeBSD using postfix as an MTA, dovegot as an MDA, solr as full-text search, rspamd for spam filtering, sieve for scripting/sorting inboxes, and it even includes DKIM, SPF, and DMARC.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

One thing I'd recommend if you self-host email is that you should do it off-site in a managed environment. You don't want to miss emails because your home lost power or internet.
There are absolutely places where outages last for a fair while, but the mail protocol was built to deal with this at least to a certain extent - if the error isn't NXDOMAIN but instead a connection timeout, lack of greeting error, or similar, the MTA should (at least according to specifications) keep retrying for up to 72 hours.
Also, you're not prevented from having a backup mail exchange with lower priority that gets used if your primary mail server goes down.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matrix on its own is fine; I've been missing a TUI client for it, but I finally found one.

Matrix clients trying to interface with IRC is less than fine, because either there's an issue in the Matrix specification, or every independent developer has thought that it's a good idea to do make it so that when someone replies to a message (in the way that Discord, I think, introduced it?), part of that message is included in the reply to let Matrix keep track of context, and on IRC this results in the messages becoming unreadable, like so:
pre:
<person1> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim
veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat, et cetera ad nauseum.
<person2[m]> person: "person: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur" Why do you have lorem itsum memorized?!
I know it's a small thing, but not having the sentence start until +50 characters into the line, when the max length of messages in the IRC RFC is 510 characters is really frustrating - especially because it seems to have been a deliberate choice to break the principle of least astonishment.

It reminds me of the things Microsoft tried to get away with with Microsoft Chat, but now it's apparently okay because it's "opensource" that's doing it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 4, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you're doing h264, h262, xvid, or any other codec to h265, it is a lossy transcode, so you're going to lose bit information.
Is it enough information lost that you can spot it in a video stream? Probably not. Is it enough that structural similarity analysis can detect it? Maybe.

If you're going to convert to h265, it means that you're going to always be relying on doing some sort of hardware decoding offload, since the way they higher bandwidth efficiency is by doing much more complicated compression of the video, to the point that it's impossible to build a CPU that can do it at any resolution in software.
Are you likely to find hardware that can't do h265 nowadays? Probably not. Will you have to upgrade every single device in your vicinity, or need to do on-the-fly lossy transcoding to another format risking more information loss? Absolutely. Will the second lossy trancode introduce visual artefacting? It's more likely than you think.

Also, when it comes to preservation, what you want to do is rip the source media and use constant rate factor quality found in x264 or x265.
It does a much better job at preserving perceptual quality while providing better saving in terms of bitrate (and therefore the size).
EDIT: There's more info here.

EDIT: Wow, that dockerfile is a nightmare of security issues.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 20, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Keito posted:

LOL you're not kidding. That was impressively bad, and not just security wise either; it's like an exhibition of what to not do when building containers. And this is closed source software too? Not very tempting.
I would guess that it's +200MB of node+electron, but with the obfuscation going on it's not easy to tell and I've yet to take the time to download what purports to be the source code since it seems different from the github repo.
If it is node for the server and electron for the UI, then it can't really be proprietary/closed source because JavaScript is an interpreted language that gets JIT'd to make it any kind of performant (if that's not a contradiction in terms, given that it's JavaScript).

EDIT: According to du -Ah | sort -hr, it's apparently almost 700MB of JavaScript and random binaries downloaded arbitrarily and without checksumming or provenance?!

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 20, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GPGPU transcoding has one use-case, as far as I'm concerned: It makes sense if you're streaming high-quality archival content to mobile devices where the screen isn't very big.

That was what Intel QuickSync was originally sold as, back in the day.
Adding a bunch of mainline profile support, or doing it on a dedicated GPU instead of one integrated into a CPU, doesn't change that, when none of the encoders do CRF to begin with.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Aware posted:

So we agree, again - it's poo poo.
Yup.

And to back it all up, so that it isn't just the opinions of some assholes on the internet: the Graphics & Media Lab at Lomonosov Moscow State University have been doing analysis of these kinds of things since 2003 and can back up all of it with reports.

EDIT: Another advantage of using software is that you can tune the codec for specific kinds of content - so for example there's the film tune or the animation tune for real-life footage and animation, respectively.

Also, for what it's worth, modern software encoders can optinally use as many threads as you throw at it, so with the fast decode tuning with a slow preset on two-pass ABR, you can easily stream to a few devices without relying on GPGPU transcoding.

EDIT2: Here's a couple of graphs from the 2021 report, for 1fps offline encodes, 30fps online encodes, and 60fps encodes respectively:

EDIT3: If you want a general recommendation:
Use a software encoder with slow preset, proper tuning, and CRF for archival.
Use GPGPU transcoding to stream the archived video to devices that can't directly decode the archived video (such as mobile devices or devices without GPGPU decoding).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 20, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's also very important to keep in mind that the typical use of hardware encoders, whether it's GPGPU or FPGA, is to transcode down to a specific bitrate at as good a quality where the average person can't tell the difference.
In this scenario, the content is intended to be watched as streaming video, and they're not so much targeting quality as being able to serve N number of customers from a specific box.

For an example, see Netflix pushing ~350Gbps from a single FreeBSD box with 4x 100Gbps NICs, because they're handling many concurrent users at a very precisely calculated bitrate per user):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o-HcG8QxPc

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

After using various cloud services both personally and professionally for the last decade or so, I'm completely loving over it boys.

This last weekend I setup my own server infrastructure at my house to just spin up my own infra because cloud services aren't cheap, aren't flexible, and aren't really paying dividends on simplicity either.

One of the last piece of my personal infra puzzle I need to solve is data backup. For this, I probably actually will still use cold storage in the cloud. I'm currently thinking of just shipping nightlies to Azure cold storage as a disaster recovery strategy. Anyone have experience with Azure or other bulk data storage services?
Remember that the data isn't backed up unless it exists in 3 separate places, with two places that have retention (ie. gives you time to restore), and where a fuckup or a malicious actor can't access at least one of them (which means using a pull model).

Also remember that backup isn't worth anything if you can't use it. You need to practice restoring; it doesn't have to be the full thing, unless you're doing system images - but you need to practice it so that when time comes, you aren't in a panic but instead can sit down in a calm manner and say "I got this poo poo" and believe it.

Those are the basics of RPO and RTO.

And since I'm contractually obliged to mention ZFS, here's how to do it with OpenZFS:
https://vimeo.com/682890916

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

Oh how I wish it was just some XMPP type thing where we had more flexibility with what client & server to use.
You can't get VP funding, to burn through over a couple of years and end up having to take an offer from a service which will want to mine the user information for way to make money, simply by implementing IRC or XMPP.
Gotta have the shittest possible proprietary solution that's held together with string of woven cloth and wet tape where the front-end is designed to be the least-efficient and most exploitable to encourage the users to build their own clients using undocumented APIs, so that you can ban them.

Matrix somehow manages to be even worse, because it does an impossibly poor job of interoperating with IRC by completely making GBS threads all over the existing protocol, implementing threaded conversations by doing partial inline quoting which makes conversations harder to follow if you're using a regular client, and on top of all that if you so much as dare type one character above the max length of any message on IRC, Matrix unilaterally decides to parse the entire sentence through a httpd and instead put part of the message plus an URI into the IRC channel.
This is Microsoft Chat levels of bullshit, and they managed to get themselves banned from every network for behaving that way, so why the gently caress does Matrix developers think it's a good idea?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This conversation about Matrix-IRC bridging reminds me a lot of the people who insist on top-posting and doing rich text MIME in mailing lists without the client at least inclining a plaintext alternative.

Keito posted:

I don't really see how Matrix is worse than Discord because of poor IRC interoperability, considering neither of the services connect to IRC.

I guess you're talking about this appservice bridge, which lets you configure how many lines to output before linking a document instead:
https://matrix-org.github.io/matrix-appservice-irc/latest/usage#matrix---irc-formatting

Looking briefly at the sample config the reply formatting is completely configurable as well.

Allow posting lots of lines at once and your service will get banned for spamming, or link long posts Twitter style and you get banned for being annoying, there's no winning with the IRC crowd.
The entire point is that their definition of rich text shouldn't be what controls what happens on IRC.
When connecting Matrix to IRC, it shouldn't be offering them as a solution since it makes for an absolutely terrible experience for everyone but the Matrix user.

There's something called the robustness principle, which arguably has led to a lot of security issues over the years so might not be the best if left on its own, but still has something that I think people can stand to learn:
Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you receive.

A modern rewrite would probably add to discard early for things which don't fit what you expect to receive, but phrased better. :v:

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is Matrix running over IRC? Looking at their docs, it looks like the standard setup just talks to other Matrix servers directly. Why would anyone care if it doesn't play nice with IRC?
A quick glance at /who #libera suggests that out of ~2000 users it's maybe 5-10% - but since it's apparently something people have to go out of their way to setup, and it's looking like they deliberately ship without a sample config, it seems to me that they could do a bit more, since it's set to 3 by default, despite the fact that they acknowledge that it pisses off people who use IRC.

Meanwhile, real IRC clients will break up sentences that exceed the maximum number of characters into multiple messages, and that's generally accepted since the maximum length of any message is defined by the RFC.
If you end up typing more than ~1000 characters per sentence (which is enough to require three full messages, since the maximum length is 510 characters), you could probably express yourself more concisely.
Besides, you risk getting hit by flood protection if you do insist on behaving badly, which can result in you getting K-lined or G-lined in quick succession.

tuyop posted:

Thanks for last page’s big exploration of security and video codecs and transcoding and stuff. Things I’ve always tried to read up on but didn’t know the terminology before.
As with a lot of things computery, that's barely scratching the surface.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 27, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Scruff McGruff posted:

Look, if we're ruining IRC then it's Microsoft Comic Chat or nothing :colbert:
Fixed that for you. :c00lbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Docker didn't invent the idea of individual containers.
FreeBSD folks have been doing service jails (ie. one jail for every service) since FreeBSD 5.0 if memory serves, which was around 2003.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

corgski posted:

I suppose I could have phrased it better. I use chroot jails liberally, especially for things like postfix, but also don't have, eg, postfix, dovecot, and rspamd running on the same VM as mariadb or plex.

If I switched to using docker I'd do what fletcher does and build my own images and enjoy the better isolation docker provides over chroot jails but also eh, if something on my mailserver gets compromised the entire VM is getting restored from a snapshot regardless of what sandbox technology I'm using.
This is all good, except that chroot jails wasn't made to perform any form of isolation whatsoever, so much so that when it was implemented in ftpd, it was possible to cd out of it.
As the jails paper linked below mentions, nobody really knows why chroot was originally implemented - it first got added to BSD around 1981 in order to build BSD cleanly - ie. to avoid build environment polution, which FreeBSD uses jails for nowadays with poudriere(8), and which is necessary for things like reproducible builds in general.

Docker isn't made for it either, with both Google and Red Hat pointing out that container solutions by themselves don't provide isolation.
Other places will point out that you need a Mandatory Access Control solution like SELinux or alternative forms of sandboxing to enforce isolation, although that way leads to its own fun since you'll you'll run into interoperability issues with specific filesystems that don't support the proper labeling.
Still other places will talk about capabilities, but that's its own can of worms.

EDIT: And sooner or later you'll find other helpful advice.

EDIT2: In general, it can probably be argued that if something wasn't built from the ground-up with isolation in mind, like FreeBSD Jails, then it's probably going to be very very difficult to retrofit that functionality on top of it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Non-rootful Podman is supposed to be more secure than Docker though if you need to do any fancy networking stuff with it I don't think that works unless you go rootful.

Unfortunately the documentation and how-to's for Podman are really lacking compared to docker. Sometimes you can just follow the docker instructions, but since those generally assume rootful docker installs it's not at all uncommon for them to just fail to work and you have to untangle how you have to do things differently in Podman (or if it's even possible, as with the aformentioned networking)
It's the same privilege separation as running something as root then dropping privileges.
That can also be done via su, sudo, doas, daemon(8) on FreeBSD, and many daemons implement their own privilege dropping via daemon(3) or some home-grown code to achieve the same.

I think it got implemented first in OpenBSD, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Keito posted:

Not at all. You're talking about switching user inside of a container. What Nitrousoxide referred to was rootless containers which Podman (as well as Docker) supports, although no one in the selfhosting crowd seems to grok/know about it. In your previous post you linked these:

A 4 year old article from Google, and an 8 year old article from Red Hat, respectively. This is not where we're at with Linux containers at this point in time; Linux user namespaces are used to allow unprivileged users to run containers.
Welp.

Have you had a look at your favorite search engine for "docker escape"?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't think Podman is susceptible to a docker escape in rootless mode, at least as far as I know.
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

I've seen this before, though; Someone suggests a tool to use, a bunch of code execution and/or privilege escalation and other exploits are found, and someone else suggests the newest tool that this time will work for sure, despite also not having been designed for isolation.

Keito posted:

Did you read any of what I wrote/linked? Probably not.
I said welp because I wasn't sure what else to say; clearly it's not something I know as much about as I thought I did, but nothing about what you said convinces me that it was made for isolation, just that you can run it as a user (which is true for chroot too, but that doesn't make that a good isolation mechanism either).
Threat actors nowadays don't assume they can get by with a single exploit; they chain stuff. Even if your container runs as root, all they need is a privilege escalation for something outside of the container, and they've got root on the host - that's not exactly a big leap.

Was docker completely rewritten with isolation in mind? No? Then it's probably not any better than it was, irrespective of how long it's been.
Jails have existed since 1998 (and were made public in 1999), and there's so far been a very very short list of escapes, despite the creator asking people to find them.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

None of this poo poo should be directly internet facing anyway. If you're self hosting and need something exposed without VPN you should be using cloudflared and a good reverse proxy.
Agreed, nginx or similar as a reverse proxy is absolutely a must, irrespective of anything else - because there's always going to be something that you'll want to put online which has an auth system that doesn't feel trustworthy (or worse yet, has no auth at all) - and in that case, even basic or digest http auth can do wonders, when you're using letsencrypt.

I wish there was an alternative to cloudflare; it sucks that when you've done a whole lot of work to setup self-hosting, you're still dependent on a single point of failure - and doubly so if you're European.

corgski posted:

I don't disagree with you at all that filesystem sandboxing through chroot or even anything more involved like docker is still an imperfect solution, but do you have to be such a dick about it?
I apologize. I swear, I didn't mean to come off as a dick - but there's no excuse for it. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fletcher posted:

The good news is that switching back to G Suite legacy free edition is fully automated and it only took like 15 seconds for me to do!

I went through this too, and it's still saying it's going to charge me under billing, so we'll see.

I can't migrate away from Gsuite, because I'm using the YouTube API to watch stuff via my HTPC running Kodi.

NihilCredo posted:

Make sure you aren't spending $200 more to save $100 in electricity.

Check your power bill and calculate how much a 1W device running 24/7 costs you every year. Maybe increase by 50% or so in the expectation that the energy prices will keep rising (depending on where you live).

Now when comparing eg. a used PC vs a NUC, you can figure out how many years the NUC would need to run to break even.
It's kinda hilarious how much these calculations change with electricity pricing; in Denmark electricity is many times more expensive.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I've got Nextcloud on an old PC that I'm using as a Proxmox host. I'm running a few things on that but Nextcloud is the only thing I expose to the world.

I'm looking to put more layers in between me and the internet since I'm about to use Nextcloud more and more. Specifically I'm looking to set up DNS for it but I'd rather my residential IP not get resolved. What would be the best way of obfuscating this? Maybe Cloudflare?
LetsEncrypt for TLS plus nginx or your favorite httpd for HTTP basic authentication.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So I got the Cloudflare proxy set up, and I was running into trouble with the certificate. Before Cloudflare, I had:

Internet -> Home Router -> Nginx reverse proxy -> Nexctloud

The Let's Encrypt cert sat on Nginx. Now Cloudflare has the cert and that works for external access. But when I come home, I get certification errors understandably. What can I do for LAN access? Can I have 2 certs?
Since you already have a LetsEncrypt cert, why not hide your services behind NGINX reverse proxying with HTTP basic auth?

You don't need a client like VPN or mesh services, and you can add sites to bookmarks that include authentication information for youself. ie: https://user:password@example.org

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Zapf Dingbat posted:

I guess I'm paranoid about my residential IP being exposed.
It's part of /0 and it's been trivial to port-scan /0 since 2012.

If your network isn't properly firewalled, it's already too late - and if it is, having your IP be associated with you in particular isn't going to hurt unless you're the target of spear phishing or other attacks of that nature where a determined attacker will use any means to get at you in particular.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Some people have made something called gemini, which is supposed to be a modern-day replacement for gopher.

It fixes the main issue with gopher, in that it mandates some form of TLS. I'd like to see it also be ratified as an actual standard that one can build services against, instead of being constantly moving and changing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's no such thing as security through obscurity on the modern internet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

corgski posted:

Generally when people talk about "secure" or "insecure" protocols they mean the presence of encryption and authentication. Gopher has none. Don't transmit sensitive data over gopher. Read fediverse posts on pleroma instances through gopher, run your blog as text files hosted on a gopher server, write a proxy that serves up weather forecasts from the national weather server over gopher. There are use cases for insecure protocols as long as you know that they are insecure.
On the one hand, you can absolutely do non-sensitive stuff in plaintext - but on the other hand, you can get wildcard TLS certificates for free now.
The only requirement being that you automate it (which you should be doing anyway), and that you monitor the automation (but you've got monitoring already, right?), so it's not the big uplift that it used to be.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

When you say ceph, I'm assuming you mean object/key+value storage on top of ceph? It's loving fantastic for that, basically the only game in town if you're not paying a company to handle it in the butt.

As far as I know, cephfs (the actual POSIX filesystem shim that's on top of the object storage) is still an utter shitshow though - in that it might eat your data at any point, and it's even harder to recover than ZFS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Interestingly enough, a lot of copy-on-write transactional filesystem+LVM combinations (ZFS on multiple OS', BTRFS on Linux, APFS on macOS, and ReFS on Windows) all use the same kind of object-on-storage model.

You can probably imagine that it makes sense to expose these objects directly to a cluster storage solution - and that's exactly what LLNL (and other entities doing big storage on clustering) do, with Lustre+ZFS.
I wish OpenZFS did it, and that there was a kernel-space OSD for Ceph :sigh:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 21, 2022