Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
What are people's backup strategies with self hosting stuff with Docker, do you stop containers before backing up their volumes/folders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

Well Played Mauer posted:

If I were interested in starting to host some services on a machine that isn't in my house, how would I go about searching for guides?

My thinking would be to use the domain I have for internal https certs and email, buy some hosting through dreamhost or whatever, and running some goofy poo poo like pastebins or an RSS reader that I don't have to Tailscale into. Just low risk stuff that if someone gets into the machine, they're not getting anything personal or valuable. Mostly I want to learn how to do it without exposing my home network.

I'm just not sure if that's called anything special, so trying to figure out where to start.

I would recommend looking into VPS services, I use Hetzner for example. It will give you a small server you can SSH into and not really worry about. DigitalOcean is another option, and they have a decent amount of guides as well (which apply to most VPS services).

If you want to actually buy a physical machine and put it in some random house... make sure you have permission first.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

I have wireguard setup, but have failed to be able to access my DNS (by adguard home) through it so far. Everything else works, but this part just bugs me.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you using docker/podman? If so what does your run/compose/systemd entry look like to start the container?

I am using Docker to run both wireguard and adguard home. Both are pretty standard setups and I haven't done any network magic (mostly because I don't know what config would fix the issue)

Adguard Home is just running the container (adguard/adguardhome) with the proper ports open. I can access it fine on the local network as long as I am not connecting through wireguard.

For wireguard I am using https://github.com/perara/wg-manager but I will probably change it to wg-easy. Basically running the compose that is in there.

Edit: I switched to wg-easy and it is so much better. It also has a guide for use with pihole that I followed (modifying for adguard home) and it seems to be working! https://github.com/WeeJeWel/wg-easy/wiki/Using-WireGuard-Easy-with-Pi-Hole

hogofwar fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 12, 2023

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

I've pretty much maxed out my google photos space, but I have plenty of room to host something myself. Any recommendations for running something akin to my own google photos?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's wrong with Immich? I've heard nothing but good stuff about it, other than it still being in really active development and putting stuff into that might be risky due to breaking changes between versions.

As for me personally, I currently just use Nextcloud which seems to work well enough for me as it auto-uploads any new photos I take. The sharing functionality for albums and such isn't amazing though.

I'm trying out Nextcloud (with Memories) and it seems to work... okay. The pain point for me is not great android app integration and it's just slow as hell. I'll give Immich a shot at some point as well. I think Immich does store media in a custom way, but should be fine for me.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Self hosting photos is one thing I decided to never do cause I didn't wanna be responsible for it. So I pay Google for a couple terabytes and call it a day. But lately I've been worrying over Google killing photos or something so I've been considering self hosting a back up of Google photos

Yeah I intend to run google photos alongside (after deleting a few GB of stuff), and I have backups every night via Kopia of the important stuff in my NAS. Which as I say this I realise may not include my photos.... Time to fix that.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Does anyone use Ansible to easily set up their proxmox VMs? I'm wondering how I could do it to replicate what I currently have, do I need to make VM templates?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, my end goal is to somewhat replace setup documentation with ansible (and maybe terraform)? I should probably learn Terraform for my job anyway, so I think I will go that route. I am still not entirely sure where one tools area of use ends and the other begins (When to use ansible vs when to use terraform?)

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Terraform for infrastructure, Ansible for configuration of said infrastructure. This applies mostly to VMs.

So with Proxmox it's terraform. For the VMs inside of proxmox it's Ansible.

I'd back out one step further and build VMtemplates with packer that are preconfigured for your Ansible code and are deployed with TF.

So a rough overview would be this?

Packer would create the base VM templates, setup with the basic stuff you would want in each VM.

Terraform would set these up in Proxmox when needed, specifying the different cpu/memory/network config for each VM that is spun up

Ansible would do final config/set up each VM for their own unique usage. (A VM that runs docker, a VM that runs backup, etc)

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Yep. And then if you want to get fancy you do a git/cicd setup to track everything. You can probably skip terraform unless you've got some kind of complicated deployment pattern.

Without terraform, would I just manually create the VMs out of the templates, or do I just rely on Ansible to do that?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

What do people have set up for monitoring logs/metrics of their server(s)? Been eyeing up setting up vector on each VM and sending logs to Loki to show in Grafana.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

cruft posted:

If all you want is Docker, there are several operating systems that let you skip step 2. Some of them even apply their own updates, so you don't ever have to think about that.

I've just been using Ubuntu in a VM as my docker host, though I am looking at replacing it. Do you recommend any of those docker-orientated operating systems?

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

cruft posted:

I'm a big fan of flatcar container linux, which is what I use everywhere*. It uses an A/B boot partition like ChromeOS.

Red Hat people may like Fedora CoreOS better. The whole SilverBlue thing confuses me and I haven't needed to sit down and figure it out yet, but Red Hat people might already be comfortable with it.

* My homelab is a Raspberry Pi and Flatcar is all "don't run this on an RPi if you care about the services", so there I use rootless alpine, which I like a lot.

One thing I'm unsure of is that for my containers I currently use bind mounts to local folders in my docker vm. I would just have these nfs mounted but I have had issues with sqlite or similar over nfs. Would this be possible to do in these operating systems?

I know there's docker volumes, but it doesn't have the same ease of accessing the files (such as changing config). Though I'm happy to be proven wrong, as I'm not too familiar with them.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

cruft posted:

I don't even understand what you're asking, heh. If you want to know if you can bind mount a volume in a container OS, the answer is yes. You can also NFS mount things, although database over NFS is a first class ticket to slowsville, as you discovered.

We even had an NFS server running flatcar. And HA MariaDB and Postgres database pools.

I wasn't 100% sure what I was asking either, but I think you pretty much covered it.

My only real concern is how to easily access docker bind mounted folders to change config. If I can run an nfs server (like I currently do in Ubuntu) that solves it for me.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Warbird posted:

That looks really interesting. Not sure if it's interesting enough to expose a DB on my network to the internet writ large but still interesting. I'm a bit surprised they didn't just use postgres or the like, I've never heard of CouchDB before.

I just have my phone connected via VPN to my home network at all times.

Also another vouch for livesync, works great for me.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Trying to plan out a setup for something like git ops for my home server. Anyone have opinions on Ansible Vs nixos as IAC for a VM that would be my docker host?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Was looking at setting up some log collection from my servers and containers, was looking at Loki + Vector, or is there a better alternative than Loki?