Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How’s the state of DayZ these days by the way? I haven’t messed with it since they first moved over to the standalone client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Do you still have to cheat a bit to get the cost effective storage for NASs or had that changed?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’re a BSD fan, we know you can’t help it :v:

In terms of reverse proxies, is there any reason to swap from Synology’s solution if I’m getting what I need out of it? Iirc the only thing I have external facing is Plex and 99% of my use case is “I hate IP addresses and/or ports in my address bar.”

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

Tailscale works with Synology boxes. It's very easy to set up.

Interesting. I’ve been pretty happy with my existing setup using the Synology DDNS and PiHole in a VM but this might be worth a shot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Synology’s Photo app can field most of that, but it assumes you’re in their ecosystem already. Maybe Photoprism?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is *arr stack config that elaborate for people? It’s like 10 minutes and change, less if you throw recyclarr at it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Got around to playing with Synology drive the other day after a year or two of not really caring/bothering and it’s pretty magical. Being able to have those files be local when I need them is a hoot on the laptop. A bit less so on the desktop as it’s hardwired in all the time and not hurting for storage, but still. I hope they get a Linux ARM build out soon so I can replace borg with it for my RasPi workstation backups.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I do, but only because I have a couple of internet exposed services and the red lock deal driving me insane. It’s pretty easy for me to add new domains now that I have things moved to DigitalOcean and use their CLI tool.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Misread that as ‘/dev/titty’ and now I’m surprised that the self hosting/Linux world hasn’t debased themselves in the normally usual manner by now.

Surely there is a really good CLI utility named butts or whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Tell me more about this Lightroom/storage stuff from your university.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hm. Last I looked our setup was just a general discount and the 10 $/mth I’m currently doing for LR and PS (plus some amount of storage I don’t use) is low enough that I can’t be bothered. Free would be better of course.

Back to email talk, I’ve been half thinking about getting a domain to have a fancy dumb email address instead of a @gmail one. Is this a bad/dumb idea for personal use? I could see problems arising if the domain price spiked or something. Afaik you can’t just outright own anything anymore so that seem like a potential nonstarter.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

They’re not super useful for the most part imo, at least the official ones. If there is a “read more” FRSS version I don’t know about I’d love to hear about it.

This said between the web interface and Reeder on my Mac stuff it’s about perfect.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Corb3t posted:

I got mercury parser working in docker on my unraid server with FreshRSS. Not sure if it's better than TT-RSS + Plugins, but it seems like a nice enough addition. I also went ahead and added a bunch of other extensions (I hadn't messed with them before).

I forgot about the thread so forgive me being late to the party. That's pretty neat and I'll have to check it out. Most of the places I pull from right just kind of dump everything into the feed....object? so I usually don't have to click through but it might be fun to tinker with it.

On a related note, since we're using RSS in the year of our lord 2023, does anyone have some blogs they're fond of? I'm always looking for another source to pull from.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

I have a server running TrueNAS core and I've recently picked up one of those little micro-PCs to run docker containers on, since TrueNAS really hates you using it for anything other than a storage appliance. I have my media folder on the NAS shared via SMB that's then mounted on the little PC running debian; the containers can (should) then access that mount.

I've got Radarr set up which seems to work great however when I try to use Sonarr, which is set up the exact same way just with different folders on the same share mapped with docker, I get issues trying to add my TV show library to it. When I select the folder in 'Import Library', which it can see the contents of just fine, I either get an error 'root folder is not writable by user abc' or I just get a blank page. It's really inscrutable and I've tried a ton of things with /etc/fstab and the permissions on the NAS etc, nothing makes a difference except changing whether I get the permissions error or just the blank page. When I get the blank page, I can see in the directory that it's actually written a folder 'sonarr_write_test.txt' in there but I can't do anything with it. Anyone else had this error?

I'm also having issues with the share not mounting reliably on boot despite working every time running mount -a manually, I imagine that's due to the network taking too long to come up. The sonarr and radarr containers also like to not come up after a reboot because of network fuckery, I can see it in the logs. That's a bit easier to diagnose and fix though probably.

Is the user for the docker container set up with the correct UUID/GUID?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

On that subject, is there any sort of configuration I could do/make where a NUT server would would work without the main network router being on a UPS as well? My lab stuff is off somewhere else and I’d have to go buy at least 2 UPSs I order to keep power on the router and a switch I have b/t the two “ends”.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SamDabbers posted:

Can you power your router with PoE? Then it can run off the UPS in your lab even though it's in another room. Something like this adapter could be useful if your router uses a DC barrel jack and doesn't natively accept standard PoE.

Not sure, I’d have to look. Even if so that would require replacement of two switches to support PoE so that may or may not be viable.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Iirc the API endpoint is it’s own thing so you could just set up a rule/path/whatever to that without oauth enforced and go about your business. That would have your feed sitting out there but at worst that would result in someone criticizing your taste in articles.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My dude has anyone told you about a little ol thing called ZFS likely at extreme length and very likely against your will?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Proxmox is cool and good and finally stopped that “pay for dark mode” bullshit. Not that it matters, I had an ansible playbook that would fix that right up.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I do on occasion, there are plenty of ways to skin that cat but the "simplest" there may be to set up a VM template either manually or via packer/cloudinit that has the user/ssh key for your ansible runners and go from there. If you're looking for something a bit more dynamic or complicated automating the deployment entirely via Terraform may be more attractive and just have the ansible element serve as an external provider after the actual provisioning is complete.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

While we’re on the subject, has anyone here dealt with Packer on Proxmox? I’ve finally got it more or less doing what I want but it stalls out waiting on a ssh connection. The VM is getting created and configured and can even ping/curl the Packer endpoint when accessed via the Proxmox console but I haven’t been able to sort out what the issue is so far.

The VM is running Ubuntu Jellyfish if that’s any help.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s completely possible though a bit limited. You can create a VM or a container with the given attributes. That’s about it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

I lived this hell for a work project a while ago.

The MacBook as plex server was more a first project that worked well enough I got into self hosting as a hobby. It’s an intel from 2019 so i figured may as well make use of the i9 and RAM. Its shortcomings as a server became pretty apparent once I got into docker and proxmox though.

I’ve been putting off switching over to a vm mostly out of inertia and Diablo 4. The second drive failure in as many brownouts is enough to get me in gear though. Also to get a second UPS :science:

It’s a laptop. It’s its own UPS already.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So I think I’ve screwed up.

Last night I set about setting up gitea on my Synology and was surprised to see that the installation step was taking absolute ages despite being a Docker container. After a bit of digging I think the problem is that the MariaDB instance I’m running is both on a btrfs file system and likely within a share with checksum checking enabled. Both apparently are strongly advised to not be used for anything with a large amount of random writes which, potentially, explains why this git business hasn’t finished setting itself up after 7 or so hours as well as lackluster performance of DB/VM/some Docker containers in the past.

Naturally my existing volume takes up everything on the NAS so there is no reasonable path forward to pull the data off so I can go about making a smaller volume that’s more performant for that sort of workload. Fun.

This said, I sure do have a Proxmox machine that isn’t doing a great deal and would likely be a bad better home to both my DB and container infrastructure. Is there any “idiot’s guide” for this sort of thing I should know about? Naturally shifting things over isn’t going to be particularly hard but I’d like to avoid gotchas like this in the future.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s because it is. Docker Swarm should be looked into first as it does more or less what you’re looking for but isn’t an experience akin to slamming your hog in a car door to maintain and set up. If you’re not an enterprise setup you likely don’t need K8s.

This said, you’d do well to look into to High Availability (HA) setups for your app of choice to see if it even plays nice in that sort of setup. If it’s not meant for that sort of architecture then it’s likely going to become a job in and of itself to get to play nice.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hard agree. 3-2-1 it and call it a day. Your home lab should be for fun and whatever the extreme opposite of profit is. Don’t turn it into a job.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh that remind me. I was dinking around with Girea the other day and had everything working except ssh authenticated repo stuff. How does that even work with a reverse proxy? I tried umpteen different ways of it and never had any success.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, the pattern “https to the reverse proxy and the http to the service” is largely fine, correct?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s what I figured but you know what they say about assumptions.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there anyone here I can pick the brains on for Synology or regular networking nonsense?

I recently started using IDrive for offsite backups and they provide a Syn native application that "just works". This is all well and good, but it is architected to run via a web portal using the Syn native webserver (Apache iirc) and lives as a subdomain, [nas domain]/IDrive. The issue here is that my Reverse Proxy (again, Syn native. NGX iirc) isn't having it when I try to access it via the domain and I have to use [NAS IP]/IDrive to go about my business. Not a major issue, but an annoying one.

Does anyone have a notion as to what might be causing the issue? The web service has an alias set up so [domain]/subdirectory ought to work same as it would for the photo service.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a SQL Server Management for Idiots out there? I have one doing things for a handful of services and I haven’t really touched it. I probably should do backups or the like.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you're running the SQL server in a docker/podman container I'd just stop the container and back up the data volumes. It might be a bit bigger than it strictly needs to be from a proper sql dump, but you should never need to worry about learning the underlying sql tool.

I run a bit more risky and do live backups of the database containers without stopping them. Hasn't failed me yet, but I imagine some day it will catch the database in the middle of a write and gently caress me over. I figure I can just roll back an extra day (since I do daily backups) and just deal with the day of data loss so I don't have to orchestrate shutting down and restarting the containers from my backup solution (dupliciti).

Oh huh, I hadn’t considered that. Iirc it’s just in some LXC setup from turnkey so I could likely automate that all in Proxmox. Hell, I should go see if Turnkey bundled some stuff in.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

If your VM's storage is on ZFS storage you can use the "snapshot" mode in a backup task (one of the options under your proxmox cluster's datacenter) which will only pause the VM for a second or two while it snapshots the storage's current state. Then it'll run the backup on that state while it keeps running. Otherwise if it's not on ZFS storage you can have it suspend or shut down the vm for the backup. This obviously takes it down longer.

You know, I don't honestly know. I set up this PMox instance years ago just to try it out and have been meaning to get around to wiping it out and resetting it up with intention.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh you should do that anyway. I had the same thing happen to me on my host before I got the socks stuff softkinked over to a bigger mount.

I’m not giving that typo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dockge is apparently adding support for remote hosts and agents similar to how Portainer do, which pretty much removes the last reason I had to use the drat thing. I need to see if they have built in cron stuff. Portainer did iirc but you had to do some weird nonsense.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, when did it become kosher to run databases in containers anyway? When I first started out common wisdom was that it was a terrible idea but that seems to have changed from then. I’d presume so long as you’re volume mounting the data it would largely be fine.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

bsaber posted:

I haven’t used it yet but have been looking at Wallabag: https://github.com/wallabag/wallabag

Might be worth a look for you.

WB has promise but is a bit of a nightmare to set up. I ran the docker version for a bit but it’s architected in such a way that it has load bearing env vars for reverse proxy settings so you can just brick your entire setup for no reason even if you try and use IP:Port. It’s barely supported as well. Also also, the mobile client will just coin flip on whether or not it will authenticate and connect to your instance; naturally there are no descriptive errors as to why.

Great promise, some of the worst implementation I’ve seen.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The email bit should be in a thread of its own imo as anywhere you bring it up you’re going to hear the same as you have here. You’re insane for doing this of your own volition, but I applaud your insanity. Most people doing self hosting are either full on homelab setups and don’t have a need or desire for lower overhead stuff or are just sticking to OTS solutions to problems. I honestly think you should ditch the RasPi for something more capable as it really isn’t great for what you’re trying to accomplish imo. They’re great machines but blood from a stone and so on.

Edit: to be clear though that is a neat little way to accomplish what you’re going for with as little overhead as possible.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 14, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, does anyone have a good resource for Grafana shenanigans? I need to get back around to messing with it for my assorted machines and doing it “right” would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Maybe it will coax the comic bassed *arr apps to not be utter rear end in a few months. I've been vaguely meaning to mess with Kogma but it hasn't been near the top of my list.

On that note, how did those extensions handle progress syncing anyway? CBRs are just fancy zip files iirc so I could sort of guess at the methods. Same question for ebooks if anyone here happens to know.