Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Are there any strong opinions on best ways to back up and sync iCloud Photos to a synology and reduce our storage subscriptions for iCloud?

I’d like to reduce our iCloud subscriptions down from the $10/user/mo for 2TB each, but I’m also a whiny baby about hands off syncing and like the native iOS/macOS Photos.app features. I downloaded Synology Photos last night to give it a whirl, and it looks like the companion mobile app allows you to backup while on the LAN (and I’m assuming if I put Tailscale on both of our phones, we can do it whenever we turn it on while on any wifi as well). Is SP’s photo management as good as apples native stuff?

Finally, I mentioned this in the NAS thread but may as well ask here as well: what is the best way to dump your iCloud Photos onto your nas and sync the latest to it? Is there a solution available to dump and sync iCloud, and then manage and organise using SP instead of having to deal with backing up using the SP backup feature? I’ve only skimmed the documentation for icloudpd, but it’s probably a better idea to ask the pros and go from there instead of striking out on my own :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Did the latest update of synology replace docker for something called Container Manager for anyone else?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m looking at getting a video doorbell and maybe a couple outdoor cameras that are preferably PoE so I don’t have to deal with batteries or snow blocking solar rechargers. I stumbled upon [url= https://github.com/blakeblackshear/frigate]Frigate[/url], which seems really cool + good.

one big thing I’d really like is to integrate it with HomeKit, mostly so most of the annoyance is front loaded with the install + config/server shenanigans and I don’t have to deal with lovely apps and stuff like that. I’m assuming goons have probably hosed around with stuff like this, so any pointers would be super helpful :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I still haven’t gotten around to figuring out how to dump iCloud Photos onto my nas as a physical backup. I’m extremely annoyed macOS requires the photos library to be stored on the local drive instead of a network drive, otherwise I’d be golden

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Flyndre posted:

I’m using the icloudpd docker image and it works great on my synology NAS

which one are you using? boredazfcuk/icloudpd or icloudpd/icloudpd?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So im building a new gaming computer and am planning on moving my plex, Linux iso sharing software, and iCloud backup dockers to my current system, which is an i7-7700k + GTX1070ftw. I have a couple really dumb questions that weren’t in the op, and I’ve always gotten good advice itt so here it goes

1) I’m planning on going all Linux, and as I was looking into Fedora I read a bit about Fedora coreOS. Seems right up my alley given I really like containers, but figured I’d see if the thread consensus was “pick whatever it doesn’t matter”

1b) I like doing this kind of stuff, but I don’t really enjoy tedious janitoring poo poo after doing a similar stuff at work all day. I know headless is convenient, but assuming I can plug it into my monitor and just switch between DP and HDMI, is there a reason to not have a GUI and use one of those fancy desktop tools similar to container manager on synology? I’m assuming it’d just be an install size difference and a little worse performance, but idk

Edit: I missclicked lol brb

2) for Linux ISOs, does resharing them on HDDs or SSDs significantly reduce their lifespan? It occurred to me after I noticed how TBs ive shared that maybe sharing until 3.0 is excessive

3) Is there a better way to point data needed from the NAS to a container than mounting it as a network drive and assigning a folder?

4) I’m planning on hosting a few camera streams from my front and back door, and someone in yospos mentioned they use Scrypted to stream their camera to HomeKit, which rules. I’d like to also back up 7-10d of (hopefully possible) H.265 video feed to the nas and not just to iCloud+. can two different containers (scrypted and blue iris) consume the same stream from an IP at the same time? I warned these questions would be dumb

5) what would the safest way of exposing something like a minecraft server to the internet be? I was considering having my friends download Tailscale and give them vpn access, but I don’t know how that would affect their gameplay vs just a whitelist only and the ip/port being exposed

Keito posted:

1. Does gaming and the OS part of this have any connection? I'm assuming you aren't planning on gaming on Fedora coreOS? It's a special-purpose OS just for running container workloads where you're expected to write and provide in advance of boot time a declarative configuration for setting up the whole thing. Probably the opposite of what you want if you're talking about GUIs for configuration too.

2. Switching monitor inputs and your keyboard/mouse sounds less convenient than being able to operate both computers at the same time without any fiddling. There are web based management GUIs like Portainer that are popular for this kind of thing.

1: yeah that was kind of irrelevant info. So coreOS is good for having a bunch of containers
2: Oh that’s actually perfect, thanks!

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 18, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ah I see the confusion: there’s going to be two computers, the gaming machine I was planning on running Fedora on, and the old machine turned server will run something else. I saw coreOS while looking at the Fedora Workstation docs and wrote it down as something to dig into more if there was a positive outlook on it; I won’t be doing any gaming on the docker host, just potentially spinning up and hosting game servers for me and some pals on top of the plex/camera/iCloud backup/file sharing software

I definitely will look into Bazzite and Podman though! I’m pretty flexible on what to use as long as it’s somewhat convenient

Edit: ohhh bazzite is for the gaming machine. This looks great!

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Warbird posted:

If you're going fully insane and doing linux gaming (which to be clear, I'm all for) there are a few flavors of SteamOS that are floating around out there that may warrant a look. Bazzite seems pretty cool though and likely works better.

As for containers, unless you're looking to do something like flatcar and go absolutely nuts most anything will be fine. If you're just starting with containers I'd suggest maybe rolling Ubuntu server or the like and sticking with Docker until you get a feel for things. It's not terribly complicated from a "get things up and running" perspective but I personally prefer removing potential layers of complication. The docs and support are there for Ubutntu and Docker so you can usually pretty easily sort out problems you may run into; but you do you.

One thing though, I really don't recommend Portainer. It does a good job of providing a GUI frontend for docker stuff, but it hides your compose files off god knows where and gets pissy if you try to do anything with Docker on your system that it doesn't control. The devs have also been pivoting to more of an enterprise focus so some licensing shenanigans may be in the future; though it's been a minute since they've poked that bear. I really like Dockge for this use case, it's just a GUI for docker compose, no more no less. It has a couple of shortcomings but otherwise is simple and does no more than you need it to.

Great advice, I appreciate it. Yeah I reckon the sane approach here is to not gently caress around with fancy distros.

I was considering doing steamOS, but I’ll need access to a terminal to get to the server that I’m planning on shoving into my basement and run headless after feedback upthread. It didn’t occur to me until I installed a UPS m that I probably don’t want to spend 6-10h/day in a small room with two PCs and a NAS whirring all day lol