Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does anyone have any experience setting up an old smartphone as a low-spec home server? Since it's basically a whole linux machine I already have sitting dead in a drawer. Not gonna do any big beefy media servers or anything, just want something to play around with.
I was wondering if there are any weird caveats or speedbumps involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Does that actually work?

I was gonna give it a try and tell the thread... but step two is "rebuild the kernel for your phone with certain features turned on" and in the process of following Sony's instructions to build their xperia kernel I got to a step that said "btw you better have 400gb of hard disk space free during the build process". I don't quite feel like deleting a whole buncha stuff off my desktop to make room.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Aware posted:

Frankly unless you're somewhat familiar with most of the steps in the guide you're probably going to hit showstoppers that aren't worth the time to work out how to get past. Just by a raspberry pi and be done with it.

Bah, where's the fun in that? And yeah I do have some experience in code-touching, just not kernel stuff.

Looking around stackoverflow and reddit it seems some people have an "easier" route that involves just running an alpine linux vm, either through qemu on termux or via apps that run a VM directly directly like alpine-term or NeoTTY. Although I expect the performance in a VM would be noticeably worse and I probably wouldn't be able to do much more than an IRC bouncer or, like, tt-rss server on there.