Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
If I'm a complete luddite who barely even knows how servers actually operate or what a DNS is, but am really interested in learning so that I could get a Raspberry Pi and setup a PiHole, and maybe plex, could anyone point me towards a good roadmap guide to what I should be learning/reading and where?

Usually I feel comfortable just diving into megathread in a new area but I'm not a computer toucher in my day job so feel a bit of my depth here. Learning to setup my own possible game servers sounds fun too, but I want to start super small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
So I've been researching setting up a Jellyfish server both for the media but also just as a little home project to learn docker and Linux tech.

I've built my own PC, so I "get" the basics of the hardware required there. What I don't really understand is what, if anything, is the difference with a NAS (ie synology) versus building a small form factor PC?

At first I just understood a NAS to basically be a HD accessible over a LAN, but I understand now that they actually have CPU and other hardware that can support things like streaming media.

So, what exactly is the difference between the two? Is the hardware in a NAS specialized in some way for streaming media or is there really no difference. Is it only form factor (accessible HD bays etc)?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Kibner posted:

A NAS is just a machine that can provide network access to storage. The term “NAS” is just a word that describes the purpose or main responsibility of a machine.

A pi could be a NAS. Your desktop could be a NAS. A Steam Deck could be a NAS. A NAS is just a machine that can access a network, access some storage, and process requests to that storage from the network.

Sorry I probably should be more specific. I guess what I mean is what is the difference between a prebuilt NAS like synology and just any other small form factor PC?

Is it just ease (no assembly, plug N play) and form factor on the big HD bay style NAS?

I'm leaning towards just buying some cheap used small form PC so I'm trying to figure out of there is any other factor I should consider than form factor and it being prebuilt?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
finally made the plunge and bought a used biz prebuild (optiplex 5070, i5-9600T / 16GB RAM) so I could start on setting up jellyfin and a general home server lab for learning.

Problem is my cheap setup at home for sharing peripherals/monitors might have me screwed.

I have a gaming PC with dual monitors at home and my partner needs to use her work laptop at the same desk, so rather than purchasing an actual KVM switch, I just ended up getting a simple USB 3 peripheral switch (for keyboard/mouse/headset/microphone) and then setup a x2 HDMI to USB3 adapter into the secondary HDMI-out for each monitor. It works fairly well because after hitting the USB peripheral switch my monitor is pretty good at autodetecting the other display and generally switches to it (and if it doesnt its easy to switch on the monitor itself anyways). Neither of us work "between" both machines (i.e. she logs out end of day then I go use my PC) so never ran into any issues with needing faster switching or anything.

But, now I got the mini-PC, but I really don't want to have to invest in a real KVM switch to share peripherals / monitors across the three machines. I have like an visceral aversion to any sort of cable management and testing peripherals so if I can avoid that it would be really great.

Could I setup some kind of remote desktop hardlinked or over local network instead? Essentially access the server-PC as if it was a virtual machine setup on my gaming-PC? What are the drawbacks with this setup?

edit: okay I'm obviously very confused. I've been planning my jellyfin setup as if it was another PC or server that I'd be installing Ubuntu on and spinning up docker containers for jellyfin or whatever.

But, is something like TrueNAS or UnRaid what I actually should be looking at for my use-case? I.E. is it really that simple that if I install TrueNAS on the mini-PC I can access it remotely through my workstation PC? Or is TrueNAS just like any other OS and I have to setup a remote desktop situation?

edit: im dumb, ive just been thinking about this all wrong. I'm setting up a NAS, I dont need to worry about peripherals.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 3, 2024

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah ignore my last post, it just dawned on me that I was approaching this whole thing as if this was just another PC I would switch peripherals on to operate on.

Is a NAS literally just a machine with booted up specialty OS thats designed natively for media sharing and remote operation?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Sorry to cross post but not quite sure yet where the media server / Plex megathread and the self host megathread discussion borders are at.

Just wanted to crosspost my followup on what to do with a mistaken purchase for new NAS server setup. I figured because it's mainly hardware oriented that folks here might have other expertise/advice.
See here

edit: Can be ignored, looks like my choice has been made cause the used prebuild isnt working anyways so had to initiate refund. I'm going to take another poster's advice and do what I should've done from the start and just build this from an atx tower with cheaper parts. I won't get the small form factor which would be nice, but I'm not completely short of space where it makes sense given the cost difference with micro-ATX / mini-ITX. It gives me plenty of space to expand as well as flexibility in re-purposing older parts I might upgrade on my gaming PC (for example, already have 16GB RAM I could use).

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 5, 2024

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Building out my first homelab / NAS and now looking to plan the software stack.

My initial goal is a Jellyfin server that can be used at home and by friends. JF will also be backed by radarr/sonarr and want to have jellyseer (fork of plex overseer) to enable friend's to self-request their content.

May have posted here before about this but one of the side-goals of this project is to practice/improve devops type skills like containers, virtualization and ci/cd ("gitops" style). So much of this is overkill for the initial project, what I'm looking at right now is:

Proxmox to virtualize:

- TrueNAS
- Ubuntu* with Rancher Desktop** for apps (JF etc.)

Now the debate I'm having is with the security setup. I want to be as "zero-trust" as possible so I'm debating options right now for client-access, and I'm debating about the value that something like Tailscale brings to my setup. I'd still look to setup proper TLS with a reverse-proxy (mainly to deal with nagging warnings and such), but I guess I'm having trouble understanding the difference between a reverse-proxy and a VPN like tailscale.

What exactly is the difference or security tradeoffs between setting up Tailscale versus setting up something like a reverse-proxy and Keycloak? Additionally, if the only thing I'm exposing to the internet is JF and TrueNAS (by extension) and the rest is virtualized and containerized, what additional security does Tailscale offer for a client device that could infect/damage those services?

* no particular preference, just familiar. If there's good reasons to I'd look at another distro

** Used at work so figured I'd just get some familiarity.

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 14, 2024

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Aware posted:

The original question I think was about if Wireguard is something to deploy for your remote streaming users and generally the answer is no, you need to expose it to the internet in some way unless you have particularly savvy users who use a phone or PC only to watch Plex.

I mean, don't they just need to login with the tailscale app before booting up jellyfin / Plex? Or are there other considerations?

I just prefer the added security that I'm not directly opening up the service online but instead have another layer of sorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
This appropriate place to discuss shelves / rack / mounting?

I bought a thermaltake core v21 for my new homelab/NAS build and now I'm not sure how I want to set this up physically next to / alongside my gaming PC and desk. If my gaming PC wasn't a full-ATX I'd be tempted to just buy another V21 and throw it in there so they could stack.

Any recommendations for shelves or racks or cabinets?

Any way to buy something (a rack frame or something, I don't know) that I can use as-is (i.e. just plopping the two cases side by side on a shelf) while still being upgradeable if I wanted to expand into server rack setups? I keep looking at Ikea furniture and cabinets and they're expensive enough that I'm thinking if its worth actually biting the bullet and buying used server half-racks or cabinets instead...