Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Now that I've got Proxmox up and running and have been messing around with it, I'm looking for more to put on it.

Is there a Trakt.tv alternative that's self hosted? I've been using it to track the TV and film I watch for years, but if there's something that works about the same that doesn't put all my precious viewing information out there, I would rather do that.

Does anyone have a "home inventory" system/database they like? I just spun up Grocy, which seems ok, but more grocery focused (obviously). Looking for something that can help me answer, "Where the gently caress is [tool]?" Yes I am prepared to put things back where they belong and also be diligent about recording changes. Not quite at the point of putting rfid tags on everything and readers on all my doorways to track poo poo down... yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This might be the push I need to move over to ProtonMail (or Migadu or something).

And then I have a couple of accounts I made for my daughters on my domain that are only really used for their xbox accounts. So maybe I'll try self-hosting those and see how it goes. Thanks for the link.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Raspberry Pis are also a bit hard to come by right now. So if you don't already have one, you're probably better off starting somewhere else. Do you have an old PC/laptop around you can try this stuff out on?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

For a layer between you and the internet I'd suggest WireGuard.

Can't comment on not resolving your IP though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone get into PBX? Just installed the Asterisk add-on in home assistant and thinking about getting into a small home phone system.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

My kids are going to start taking the bus home from school in the new year. Trying to keep from buying them phones as long as I can. Probably a losing battle. :)

I have an old android phone that I can put a SIP client on it that they can use to call us on if they need to. There's also the Home Assistant tablet in the hall that now has a SIP card on one of the screens that they could use for calls. Plus knowing the neighbours just in case (two are home right now with small kids, which is nice).

I was also thinking I could maybe use it for an in-home intercom system which would be useful sometimes.

But yeah, probably just easier to just buy a flip phone that lives at home.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 22, 2022

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, but I might be able to get get free surplussed IP phones!

Did you have your own household extension when you were a kid? How cool would that be!?

(yeah, ok ok, not as cool as an iphone)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You could also try TrueNAS Core or Scale which are both free.

I'd recommend Proxmox though. There are a lot of good resources out there and it sounds like it would be a good fit.

Since you've recently set up pi-hole, if your trajectory is anything like mine, you should look at reverse proxies sometime soon. Traefik and Nginx are both worth looking into there and if you have your own domain it's a lot smoother to use that than a self-signed certificate.

Then again, you might get along just fine without https. I just put off doing it for way too long and it ended up being easier than I thought.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Generally, if you can run it in a container instead of a full VM, then that will help reduce overhead. But for some things you will want or need a VM.

My Proxmox server has a Docker VM that runs a few things.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/@TechnoTim
Has some good Proxmox stuff.

odiv fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 9, 2023

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I suggest reverse proxy next. I put it off for much longer than I should have and it's really nice to have it set up now. Do you own a domain you can set up an SSL certificate with?

Also, backups! Do you have proxmox set to backup your VM(s) on a regular basis? If you get scheduled backups set, then it's pretty easy to add whatever VM/CT to it.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Edit: I don't have this installed, but I've heard good things about this: https://nginxproxymanager.com/

I've got Nginx set up manually but this seems kind of turnkey?
This is what I'm using. Confirmed very easy to set up. I set it up as a Proxmox container, but I think I'm going to move it over to Docker once I have a bit more familiarity at that.

I can find a guide when I'm a little less busy, but nginx proxy manager has a gui and is pretty straightforward.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

One thing I noticed is it takes the containers a good bit of time to fully initialize. I thought I broke something when getting Calibre-web to start up because the web GUI wasn't immediately available. Then I looked at the logs and realized it was still initializing 3-5 minutes after I ran the container. Is that normal, or is the external SSD I have everything on poo poo? (Maybe both?)
Maybe what you allocated the VM for resources? Or is the external SSD on like USB2 or something?

Well Played Mauer posted:

Other note: I really need to get a homepage/reverse proxy set up. poo poo's everywhere now and I'm forgetting which service is on which VM.
Yeah, that's what I said! :P

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Post the proxy host settings?

Also, I didn't bother setting up proxmox with the reverse proxy running on it because I figured if I was having problems with the proxmox server and needed to troubleshoot then I wouldn't want to remember how to get to it. I might end up offloading some of the network stuff to another box and also roll my own router. We'll see.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Neslepaks posted:

Gandi is good.
Yep, they're my registrar and have been for years.

Was on call over the holidays so got a little extra money on my paycheque I'm going to use to buy one of those fanless, 5-6 ethernet port, computers so I can roll my own router.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004336924039.html

Am currently thinking VyOS on proxmox. Wish me luck!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Keito posted:

If I were redoing my setup I'd start with evaluating Proxmox VE instead of going with VMWare (especially because of Broadcom, but also because I'd prefer to be using free/open software), but I'd definitely be using virtualization again.
I have TrueNAS Scale on Proxmox VE right now. It's also been hassle free to this point, but I'm also not using TrueNAS for anything else besides the NAS thing. I probably could have just gone with the tried and true Core but Scale had just officially come out, so I said what the hell.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

anybody have any good guides for freepbx?

I have a SIP trunk number, I just can't find any good guides and am completely clueless

trying to set up something like emergency oates, for context 719-26-OATES
The one person I talked to when I was looking at it said use Asterisk instead. I don't know how much that's worth though. If I go further down this VoIP path I'll post to the thread. Need to roll my own router first though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I use nginx proxy manager and letsencrypt and it was pretty easy. Less hassle than self-signed from what I've heard.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I should look into that. Everything I'm doing right now is a hodge podge of like 3-4 different approaches.

Which is probably par for the course for a homelab, but it wouldn't hurt to try to standardize things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I use nextcloud and it's fine (yes, could be better), but I VPN in to access everything at home, so I'm less concerned security-wise.