Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

lostleaf posted:

I mainly use tailscale for access to the nas on my network. I normally assign something really simple ip for access like 10.0.0.5. The ip assigned by tailscale is pretty random.

Can you just use the name assigned by MagicDNS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

TraderStav posted:

I'm still a few steps behind you all. I don't even know where to find my docker compose files on either Unraid or Portainer. It's all abstracted away in the GUI.

When I was using stacks, all of my compose files were under the compose/ directory in the mapped volume. They’re each under separate numbered folders by id, you can see which is which by mousing over in Portainer and checking the URL. Once I figured it out I had them symlinked in a separate folder with easier names.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

TraderStav posted:

To be sure I understand what you mean: skip portainer altogether and just figure it out on the command line from the ground up? Manage it that way?

That's sounding more like an attractive solution as Portainer has not been the friendly solution that I had hoped. I was looking for something that was just like UnRaid's container management, outside UnRaid. This serves as an excellent learning opportunity.

If you want some web interface to manage your Docker apps, I just migrated over from Portainer to Dockge, which lets you still use compose files but gives you an easy way to update/restart/open a shell on your containers.