Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
It will use less bandwidth to stream original quality but you'll also find a lot more devices need conversion as they can't do h265 natively. Newer devices should be ok though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think AV1 will be better in general mo ing forward but it's worse for compatibility at the moment. Also it is a necessarily lossy process so you will lose some fidelity though this will be subjective and vary depending on the source material. If you're primarily watching on a tablet and not a huge TV it's likely to be unnoticeable.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Personally I just buy more disks or cycle all of them up to something larger. It's really not worth the trade-offs for me. I can understand it for huge long TV shows but I wouldn't do it to films.

Reminds me of a friend I had who decided it was a great idea to convert every MP3/ogg he had to wma 96kbps because he was running out of disk space and windows media player was his hammer of choice.

Edit - I think it was actually an even worse bitrate than that too but can't quite recall

Aware fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 20, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I wouldn't wish GPU transcoding on my friends either so I don't. It's pretty crappy quality but I guess good if you have lots of remote users that need transcoding and not many cores.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
So we agree, again - it's poo poo.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Maybe checkout backblaze, I found them to be the most cost effective when I was looking a few years back.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I recently moved from unraid+appstore to just a plain debian install and podman and it's been a fairly easy adjustment but I have been a computer janitor in a past life.

I think if you don't do this poo poo at work (I don't) then documenting what you're doing is the missing step in terms of managing everything moving forward, there's plenty of guides to get something setup quickly but precious few on ongoing management.

I had a few abortive attempts at cockpit and portainer and gave up on them to manage my deployment but I would never say it's a breeze for any random person.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
In short, if you can't explain it back to yourself as a bare minimum you're not going to have a good time long term.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think CloudFlare will limit http uploads to 100mbytes per session as well if you enable their proxy, if that's an issue for you.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Would an effective auth mechanism for that be 2FA codes via email? Eg. You share a link to a friend using their email as a key, when they open it it emails them a one time code to access. Maybe a little annoying for subsequent visits but perhaps better than them having to setup an account or you doing oauth fuckery.

Is this even a thing?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I use cloudflare free tier myself. Does the job and has some nice additional features if you want them.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
drat these companies centralising key infrastructure through the terrible crime of making it easy! I'm not sure how not using CF at home will stick it to them but you do you.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
What do you mean by internet speed degredation?

Personally I run Adguard home in a container for local DNS and this will let you add your domains to point to a local address using filters and give you a nice GUI (and adblocking). I imagine pihole offers the same too. Externally everything else hits CloudFlare proxy then my reverse proxy for stuff like Overseerr and bitwarden.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I'm self hosting a freepbx container now, give it a call

1-408-709-4378

Lmao. I'm the Australian number that dialed in.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Gnome3 for me feels far more natural on a laptop with a touchpad than a desktop, I absolutely prefer it to Windows, but on desktop for some reason it doesn't click for me.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Don't host your own email.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Seafile appears on paper to fit the bill with local clients for Windows/Mac/android and iOS - perhaps check that out?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Check the nginx logs to confirm it's seeing requests would be my starting point. Thisll either point you back towards your network as an issue or your nginx/container setup.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

tuyop posted:

This turned out to be great advice, thank you!

Not this time, DNS! It was NAT and I just can’t have ports forwarding properly because of this stupid ISP.

Ah you might want to look at Cloudflared tunnelling then which would get around CGNAT depending on what you're trying to serve.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
On a slightly related note I'd love to know if anyone has found a good replacement for longform.org since it shut it's doors.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Just use wireguard directly?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
For the same price roughly I just pay OVH for a 6c12t/64gb ram/1tb nvme server in my city which I run proxmox on and a bunch of VMs and containers. I just use a mikrotik VM in front of them with wireguard access to a common mgmt network. I sometimes think about paying more for storage and running Plex there but I think thats better off at home for a few reasons.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Oh yeah I'd love to do the same but the lowest price for colo here is about $200/mo for 2RU and usually comes with a 10M connection or something like 4TB/mo of data. Transit is expensive here sadly. I have a Dell R740xd (2 CPU 8c16t, 112gb ram and 24TB+SSD) that I've built up from a single CPU 16Gb ram when I bought it cheap that I'd love to Colo but it just doesn't add up here sadly. Full racks are between 1-1.5k a month so it just doesn't make sense from a provider perspective for the hassle of leasing out much less than a quarter or half rack.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah that's pretty much unraids original use case. Don't trust it with your data alone, though that's true for any solution. It's also fairly minimal on the janitoring side up to a point.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
On a side note, any love for proxmox? I've started using it for labs and proof of concepts lately and found it very powerful particularly it's helped get my head around openvswitch.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Dunno about proxmox pass through but I reckon it'd be quite easy. Unraid does it fine too. And really nothing to lose by giving it a go. Proxmox rules generally for VM stuff.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think nVidia removed that restriction in later drivers. Containers can certainly share a GPU, pretty sure VMs can now.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I don't think headless is quite what you want, you likely want to pass through the GPU to the VM then stream the output of the GPU. I use little HDMI monitor fakers for this purpose - https://www.amazon.com.au/fit-Headless-GS-Resolution-Emulator-Game-Streaming/dp/B01EK05WTY

Or rather I used to when I was futzing around with the whole idea. Then you can use steamlink, sunlight or any other streaming setup.

Edit- actually read your link, that does kind of do what youre asking though the idea of playing games via VNC horrifies me. I suspect it's more for running servers for games that don't have a dedicated server option.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I figured AT&T was bankrolling Netgate but I guess that's drying up

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I do the same but also have CloudFlare doing an additional layer of proxying so for those services my home IP isnt exposed directly.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Nothing seems to fit the bill very well from searching around. Dakboard is $5/Mo and $25 for a preloaded microSD for a Pi. It does look very nice but also more than you might want feature wise.

e. You can just download and write the image yourself so it's just the subscription I guess - https://dakboard.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/35000125880-raspberry-pi-download-and-install-the-dakboard-os

Aware fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 15, 2023

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Quick sync is fine, any recentish Intel CPU with an iGPU will meet your requirements. I use an 8700 myself.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Generally speaking most servers are administered remotely via SSH or a web interface so you shouldn't need to have it connected to a K+M outside of initial setup or if something goes horrible wrong.

No real issue going Ubuntu or TrueNAS, the latter provides a nice web interface out of the box to do everything from so you'll probably find this easier. Plenty of guides around for both for Jellyfin etc.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I got no love for Ubiquiti poo poo but I think you'll probably need to pull them down and hit the reset button. Not sure you can adopt them to a UniFi controller (yeah you'll need that too) if they're already set up elsewhere/aren't factory default.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
https://gist.github.com/FreddieOliveira/efe850df7ff3951cb62d74bd770dce27

:eyepop:

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
No idea and never ever going to try and find out. If your phone has Ubuntu Touch available for it this would be a far saner approach ay the moment.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Frankly unless you're somewhat familiar with most of the steps in the guide you're probably going to hit showstoppers that aren't worth the time to work out how to get past. Just by a raspberry pi and be done with it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
May as well give it a go if it's easier - I've got an S21+ I frequently consider the same line of thinking about but then I think about the underutilised i7 8700/32gb ram unraid NAS I already have and give up.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Oysters Autobio posted:

Building out my first homelab / NAS and now looking to plan the software stack.

My initial goal is a Jellyfin server that can be used at home and by friends. JF will also be backed by radarr/sonarr and want to have jellyseer (fork of plex overseer) to enable friend's to self-request their content.

May have posted here before about this but one of the side-goals of this project is to practice/improve devops type skills like containers, virtualization and ci/cd ("gitops" style). So much of this is overkill for the initial project, what I'm looking at right now is:

Proxmox to virtualize:

- TrueNAS
- Ubuntu* with Rancher Desktop** for apps (JF etc.)

Now the debate I'm having is with the security setup. I want to be as "zero-trust" as possible so I'm debating options right now for client-access, and I'm debating about the value that something like Tailscale brings to my setup. I'd still look to setup proper TLS with a reverse-proxy (mainly to deal with nagging warnings and such), but I guess I'm having trouble understanding the difference between a reverse-proxy and a VPN like tailscale.

What exactly is the difference or security tradeoffs between setting up Tailscale versus setting up something like a reverse-proxy and Keycloak? Additionally, if the only thing I'm exposing to the internet is JF and TrueNAS (by extension) and the rest is virtualized and containerized, what additional security does Tailscale offer for a client device that could infect/damage those services?

* no particular preference, just familiar. If there's good reasons to I'd look at another distro

** Used at work so figured I'd just get some familiarity.

I can't speak to JF specific since I use Plex but my setup is roughly as follows:

Plex - router port forwarding 32400 from Internet to it
Overseer - nginx reverse proxy (let's encrypt cert for request.xxxx.com) - CloudFlare proxy - internet
Vaultwarden - (same as overseer but for vault.xxxx.com)

Witeguard would fit in if I didn't want to expose Plex to the internet - but my friends and family would need to run the witeguard client to use it which is never going to fly in a million years especially as most of them use my Plex from a mix of Android/WebOS/Apple TV decices.

I do use Wireguard for my own remote access for administration purposes and as a gateway when I'm overseas and want to use my netbanking or domestically blocked video streaming services like Sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can use Plex's auth system to let someone access your Plex server. As long as the other person sets up a Plex account (free) you can add them as shared account under "Manage Library Access"

and you allow remote access under:
Settings -> Remote Access

Then they can log in at https://app.plex.tv/desktop to accept the share. Then it should show up on any of their devices they log into plex on, be it on their TV, tablet, etc.

I do this for my parents even though I do have a reverse proxy and domain just because it makes their login process much easier.

I recommend also going into "Mange Library Access" and setting a restriction for your user to either whitelist/blacklist shows via lables so that they can only see the stuff you want them to see. I, for instance, did not share all the anime I have on my Plex with my parents (except Apothecary Diaries) because they don't really care about that.

Yes this is how Plex sharing works, however if you don't allow them to hit your Plex server directly via port forward you are limiting your users to 1-2mbps of transcoded poo poo quality via plexs proxy servers.

Plex will try and use UPnP for this so you may be unaware your router is opening a port for this if you didn't explicitly create one.