Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Can I ask a stupid n00b question?

I want to setup my own web server (yes I know how to do this part) but I don't have a static ip address. I understand there are ways to deal with this, but I don't really understand the pros/cons of the different options.

(1) no-ip.org offers a free DDNS service, where you can pick your own hostname along with one of their domain names (so like cyrilsneer.no-ip.org). You have to re-confirm every 30 days, but whatever. Then, I run their DUC client on my machine.

(2) On the other hand, lots of the domain registrars (i.e., namecheap) seem to offer DDNS for free, and provide instructions on how to set it up with your own domain. Thus if one has a domain (which I do), then this would seem to obviate the need for no-ip?

(3) In digging into this topic, I inevitably stumble across cloudflare. No matter how much I read about it, I can't figure out what cloudflare does, or how this helps me self-host a website :silent:

I'm going to attempt #2, but I just wanted to get some comments on this. Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Thanks. Since I have a domain registered with namecheap, I'm just going to try the A record thing first.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

LOL you guys have me waffling back and forth here.

Alright, I'll sign up for Cloudflare free option and see how far I can truck along with it.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Okay so I went with the A record thing for now, might change it later.

Its working, but something's not quite right. If I access my site via http://www.mysite.com its works as expected. However, accessing https://mysite.com is pulling up my router login page! That's no good!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Forward your root domain to your a record, and disable the external http and https access to your router.

Thanks, this sort of worked. I'm actually running a fastAPI site, and enabling https is apparently another level of complexity. Sigh.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

Also, have you checked if your IP actually changes? I have a dynamic IP in theory, but in practice my IP has remained the same for years on my cable modem.

Yeah, I checked, it changes periodically.

unknown posted:

Psst, cloudflare handles the ssl complexities* for you.

* not that complex.

I managed to stumble my way through using mkcert to do it. I still might switch to CF at some point.

Scruff McGruff posted:

and even if it does there are containers you can spin up to update your A Record automatically.

Beyond my knowledge level here - and actually this a good example of something I need to rant about.

Here's the thing. I'm not looking into self-hosting for any deep philosophical reason, I just want to host a simple personal/hobby website. And the reason I'm pursuing the self-hosting option is that I found the cloud deployment path even *more* inscrutable. The amount of layers, glue, 3rd party tools, shell interfaces, opaque pricing tiers...where does the madness end!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

fletcher posted:

Honestly, self-hosting may not be right for you. There is some amount of research and tinkering required in order to host something publicly accessible that is reasonably secure. Otherwise, you risk exposing your personal data to the public internet. What sort of site is it you are hosting? There may be another type of hosting that is more suitable, something between "complex cloud" and "entirely self hosted"

I'm using nicegui - a Python front-end library that wraps fastAPI + uvicorn server - to show off some interactive data visualizers, and otherwise personal learning projects in full stack development.

Hmmm, maybe I should post over in one of the web dev threads.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Aware posted:

Maybe check out Dreamhost or similar if you just want web hosting. I've used them for near on 20 years without any issues and works great if all you want is a static page, some php web app with a database or WordPress. There's a bunch of one click deploy apps that will get you running in a minute. Vultr also has one click deploy web stacks like LAMP and others for VPS deployment and leave you with credentials to login and drop your website in.

They're both basically fixed monthly price and practically unlimited for your use case.

I'm actually already paying $1.00/month for an ancient goon deal on static hosting, lol.

As mentioned above though, I want to do more modern web dev stuff.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Aware posted:

Apologies I missed that! I'd definitely still consider a VPS myself but it doesn't really solve any particular challenge you have self hosting, just moves the problem out of your home network.

So, self hosting isn't my actual goal here....

Cyril Sneer posted:

the reason I'm pursuing the self-hosting option is that I found the cloud deployment path even *more* inscrutable. The amount of layers, glue, 3rd party tools, shell interfaces, opaque pricing tiers...where does the madness end!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

What exactly are you trying to do with your website? Is it static? Does it need certain frameworks? Is there a reason you can't just use SquareSpace/Wix/Weebly/an S3 bucket with web hosting enabled?

I'm running various interactive UIs built with nicegui (https://nicegui.io/) which wraps fastAPI and uvicorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

There's nothing wrong with hosting yourself, but if it's not something you're really all that interested in doing then don't do it. If you ask in this thread you're going to get answers that skew that direction. Again, nothing wrong with it, but you might get different responses if you ask a bunch of devs (like in The Cavern of COBOL). I don't spend a lot of time there, but maybe ask in The Web Design & Development Megathread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554791

I'm like a slime mold. I'm feeling my way out in multiple branches seeing how far I get with each.

You have options for more managed services like Heroku, Render, fly.io, etc. It actually looks like fly.io is well recommended for NiceGUI and the Zauberzeug folks even use it for https://nicegui.io and wrote a guide on it.

Heroku doesn't offer a free tier any more. Render does, and I've tried it, but its so under-resourced so as to be effectively useless. fly.io is in the queue.

Yup, familiar with all of this. The on air feature is neat, but one of those could vanish in a moment type things.