Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I don't understand the point of radarr sonarr and the others. Why does anyone use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
makes sense, thanks

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Flexget for library management, standardization and cleanup combined with what was then called xbmc was quite popular back in the day.

I rocked the original XBMC on my modded xbox. that setup was so far ahead of its time.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

Idgaf, rocking out to the hold music

I've installed enough phone systems to know what system people used based on the hold music unless it's something custom.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

:haibrow:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

don't expose your plex instance to the internet folks

https://arstechnica.com/information...orporate-vault/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

If I'm reading this right either the Plex server was used as a jump box or the person who got hacked shared a password?

it doesn't say specifically, but you can read between the lines and assume this person shared passwords between their home functions and work functions or had their work stuff stored in their personal lastpass. My assumption would be:

Plex hacked to get control of local machine > keylogger on plex machine > capture passwords to personal LastPass > Personal LastPass provided access to professional resources.

or

Plex hacked to get control of local machine > keylogger on plex machine > idiot used shared passwords and no mfa > access to professional resources.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

This is why nothing ever gets exposed to the internet.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

tuyop posted:

I had a couple of services running and accessible through NPM via a duckdns site. I moved the server device to a new location and I'm trying to get those two services up again.

I've set my port forwarding on my router to be the same as the original router and all the services are accessible locally. The NPM instance is up and running fine and its ports are open. The websites ([service].duckdns.org) also point to my IP properly and 443 and 80 are open on them. Even the DNS settings on the router are the same since I just set up a pihole as the primary and 1.1.1.1 as secondary DNS.

What should I be troubleshooting next?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Hardware raid is great if you can afford great hardware.

Software raid is great when you can't.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This is absofuckinglute bullshit. Both Sequoia and Sierra, which at one point held the #1 spot on the HPC TOP500 list, used/use ZFS (and Lustre), and the same is true for Frontier which is currently #1.
Remember, these are government-backed research institutes - they have a basically-unlimited budget for getting the absolute best, and they all choose ZFS and have done so for at least a decade.

That doesn't really negate what I said?

Software raid is absolutely the standard, but a good hardware raid is quite expensive.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

tuyop posted:

How do you build redundancy into a self-hosted app?

Like if my Nextcloud is up on computer a, but computer a then burns to the ground, is there any way for computer b in another place to automatically run a mirror of that Nextcloud?

Containers would be the answer. What you are describing is pretty much what kubernetes was designed for.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

This just reinforces why you don't self host email

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Finally added a raspberry pi as a cheap, low-power bootstrap wol server to wake up all my real servers in the event of a power outage.

Should have thought to do that a year ago.

Or you can set the BIOS to power on automatically after a power loss? A Pi seems so overkill for that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Are you using storage spaces?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Does anyone have any experience setting up an old smartphone as a low-spec home server? Since it's basically a whole linux machine I already have sitting dead in a drawer. Not gonna do any big beefy media servers or anything, just want something to play around with.
I was wondering if there are any weird caveats or speedbumps involved.

I did this with a rooted phone years ago. This app was useful for multiple services

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.icecoldapps.serversultimatepro

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Rad

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

What home firewall is recommended these days? I was eyeing FirewallA devices as a replacement for my ancient fortinet device.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

Okay so I went with the A record thing for now, might change it later.

Its working, but something's not quite right. If I access my site via http://www.mysite.com its works as expected. However, accessing https://mysite.com is pulling up my router login page! That's no good!

Forward your root domain to your a record, and disable the external http and https access to your router.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

Thanks, this sort of worked. I'm actually running a fastAPI site, and enabling https is apparently another level of complexity. Sigh.

For https you'll want to put your services behind something called a reverse proxy. You can set up the SSL certificate on the reverse proxy and it wraps your services in an SSL layer. There's several good options for easy enough to setup as well.