Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
After the conversation about it, I decided to go ahead and set up Immich myself. I'm running it in Docker on a Celeron 5100, 16GB RAM. With their docker-compose, setting up was no effort at all.

It's got a lot more features and is a lot more professional than I was expecting. Face detection works; I can search for images by content; their iPhone app works great, etc.

Only thing I would warn about is that it's pretty resource intensive. All the machine learning stuff takes several gigabytes of memory and right now it's not good about releasing that memory when it's not processing photos. The developers are working on it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Time_pants posted:

I'm reposting this from a thread I posted earlier on the recommendation that I might have better luck here:

I have recently started working on a project to try and archive about two decades of digital family photos--about 10 TB all up. I have a computer set aside for the task and a couple of 20 TB hard drives in a RAID setup. I'm at a bit of a loss of how best to proceed from here, though, because the goal is to make all of the photos accessible not only from any computer within our home network (easy and fine) as well as by smartphone (I am completely stumped). I tried Plex, but it seems really slow and better suited to streaming video than storing tens or hundreds of thousands of photos in an easy-to-use app, since the people I want to do this for aren't terribly tech savvy.

Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is this achievable?

Personally, I use and like Immich, but they're not kidding when they say it's under active development - I've had to go in and tinker with the docker-compose.yml file a few times to keep it working after updates.

Other people in this thread have talked about using PhotoPrism and NextCloud, which should have apps also. There are a couple of other options listed here. I can't say how well they'll scale to 10TB of photos. In particular, Immich and PhotoPrism use a lot of machine learning for facial recognition and search, so importing that many images will take a while. There might be other, easier, options if you already have your photos nicely organized and just need to let people browse through folders.

Depending on your setup, there's also the extra step of making it accessible outside the LAN. My solution was to install Tailscale, limit things to immediate family, and not worry about it too much, but that may not be feasible for you.