Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

insignia, a replacement for the original xbox live serves, launches in mid-november. it is currently invite-only and not compatible with all xbox games yet, but here's the list of what will be supported:

https://insignia.live/#games

i am psyched to be able to play crimson skies online again i fuckin loved that game

should be noted that this uses actual dedicated serves, this isn't like xbox connect where it just uses system link tunneling fuckery to let you play together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
^ Conker: Live & Reloaded, wasn't expecting that at launch. The netcode seemed pretty complex.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
wow they finally have a launch date? that's pretty sweet. looking forward to November, i played so much CS1.6 on my OG box before they shut the Live servers down and i'm looking forward to playing some of those exclusive maps again

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

barnold posted:

wow they finally have a launch date? that's pretty sweet. looking forward to November, i played so much CS1.6 on my OG box before they shut the Live servers down and i'm looking forward to playing some of those exclusive maps again

Miami rules so much. Seemed like most people played that and almost none of the other ones on Xbox.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

holefoods posted:

Miami rules so much. Seemed like most people played that and almost none of the other ones on Xbox.

Miami was hands down my favorite map, so much time spent camping in the vents near the vault lol. also loved Stadium and Fastline

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

barnold posted:

Miami was hands down my favorite map, so much time spent camping in the vents near the vault lol. also loved Stadium and Fastline

I liked to sit on top of the door in the office but it was a bitch to do reliably before the other team was there.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Is anyone else looking forward to that new MakeMHz Project Stellar add-on?

It looks like you can load games (and the BIOS?) directly from an SMB share, completely bypass the need for a DVD drive, and lots of other stuff that's a little over my head. Mostly I'm interested in stepping up from my softmod to something more fully-featured with an interface that actually looks like the original Xbox's.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

woke up this morning with an Insignia invite in my inbox :blessed:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I got mine the other day but I’m not planning on poking around until the weekend with all of the “you should probably update your softmod” stuff on the Insignia website. Pretty sure my softmod has been untouched since like 2010 and something will inevitably break.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

holefoods posted:

I got mine the other day but I’m not planning on poking around until the weekend with all of the “you should probably update your softmod” stuff on the Insignia website. Pretty sure my softmod has been untouched since like 2010 and something will inevitably break.

ignore all of that. set your custom dashboard to "Default (Dashboard)" network settings, then load into the MS Dash to configure the manual DNS. you can check with the troubleshooter app but you shouldn't have any problems. i was running an outdated SID install w/ XBMC but didn't have any real issues (well, I did, but that's because I ran the Rocky5 upgrade first and did things in an incorrect order so I had to go back and re-do it. skill issue)

if you feel intrepid or your custom dash tries to overwrite the MS Dash settings as some are keen to do, running the Rocky5 upgrader tool from the Extras ISO takes maybe 15 minutes and 99% of the effort is FTPing the files to your box or burning the Extras DVD

Insignia has been incredible so far though. once the network stuff is set up, everything is so smooth. every game I've tried has worked flawlessly

barnold fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 17, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember the xbox saving some guy because it deflected a bullet.

Anyway great system, I can't remember if I bought it or my NDS as the first console I bought myself. I'm honestly kinda surprised Phantom dust didn't take off in some way, I think it would have been very well received later. Pretty novel at the time and only 20 bucks at launch too iirr

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Finally got onto Insignia after updating my softmod and doing a bunch of other poo poo I didn’t need to do because I didn’t realize that the default for dumping your own discs to HDD is that the XBEs are patched to disable Xbox Live. Guess I’m going to have to grab Redump rips of any Live compatible games that I don’t still own and extract the ISOs, I’m sure most of the HDD ready games floating around have the same issue.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the ESPN 2K4 games are coming to Insignia in January and I am very excited. I think only the NBA/College Hoops are worth playing from that lineup but I'm really excited to get the first batch of sports titles up and running for online play :f5:

I played some TOCA 2 online last night and it was incredible. made me realize how much I miss playing TOCA 3 online on my PS2

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If I remember correctly NFL2k5 had a loving simulated sportscenter with generated weekly highlights. Absolutely light years ahead of every other sports juggernaut.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

yeah nothing beats the early 2000s ESPN presentation. once they moved away from that era's design style it was all over for that channel and it's been on the decline ever since

sadly the NFL game is the only one not appearing on Insignia just yet, but I'll happily take NBA 2k4

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The NHL2k games featured the greatest sports broadcast theme too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISg373pmII

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Going off topic for a moment...these are all better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU1o2blfeO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYU8OimSwhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTBs6Gg9a5M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx69XXobpN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jpCiGtsA4

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 13, 2023

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Absolutely :wrong:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

NFL on FOX theme is definitely the best. NFL CBS is a great but distant 2nd.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of the 2K hockey games (I think around this era) also included an option to replace audio commentary with dynamic orchestral music. loving hysterical hearing knock-off Hans Zimmer during a 2nd period blowout.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I recently got myself a Steam Deck and I'm 10/10 very happy with my purchase. That said, I'm a bit less than happy with the state of some Xbox emulation, plus having to convert files into the .xiso format on the Deck is onerous for a smooth-brained idiot like myself who knows little of the ways of Linux. I was already thinking about it before I got my Deck, so gently caress it, I'm looking to take the plunge and get into retrogaming, at least for the Xboxen, with actual hardware.

For someone who is very much not tech savvy, but is capable at least of following clearly written and delineated instructions that leave no room for invention or interpretation, what's the best way to get into Xbox gaming in the year of our lord two-thousand and twenty-three? Like obviously 'buy an OGbox and mod it' but like, uh, how? Are there any reliable retailers of pre-modded Xboxes or of stuff like they have for older consoles where it's not a genuine Xbox but works basically the same - physical emulation I imagine would be more reliable than digital emulation.

Like I just want to play the old games I loved as I remember them with a minimum of fuss and effort.

EDIT: For clarity in case it's not obvious: I have zero experience with retrogaming outside of 'I still have many of my retro systems in working order and hooked up and in use' and 'I have used emulators and roms/isos.' I've no experience with retrogaming on hardware that was bought and set up at a time when the game was already retro.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 10, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The main thing to look out for is if the clock capacitor has been replaced. By this point the majority of them have leaked and without having been serviced, the goop eats through the motherboard. The newer Xbox revisions don't suffer from this (as much) but they're bad in other ways, mostly stemming from different video encoders causing compatibility issues. My personal favorite revision is v1.2, it's easy to soft or hard mod and uses the original video encoder chip. More info here. That wiki is useful in general, so keep it bookmarked.

Xbox modding isn't hard, but it's complicated due to the array of options available. For example mine is a v1.2 that was softmodded using the hotswapping method and that alone lets you run games off the HDD, but I also flashed the on-board BIOS chip with an Xecuter BIOS (a hacked Microsoft BIOS that adds all the fun features) by bridging a couple pads with some wire and running a flashing utility. That gets you some extra features like soft reset using button combinations on the controller, trainers, faster boot times and other perks. On top of that, I have an IDE to SATA adapter and a 2TB HDD installed. But there's other ways to get those features too, that's just a particularly frugal way as it didn't require a dedicated modchip, though softmodding does require a PC with an IDE connector, so not as accessible as it once was.

But to put the above in perspective, you can mod any version of Xbox, run games from an SSD instead of a HDD with the appropriate adapter, there's many different revisions of Xecuter and later versions aren't necessarily better as well as alternative BIOSes from different groups. Modchips can add extra hardware features like the ability to hook up front panel displays. You can add fully digital HDMI output too, but installing that particular mod is extremely complicated. As is adding more RAM (up to 128MB) and a 1.4Ghz CPU upgrade, both of which need appropriate BIOS hacks and software that has been compiled or hacked to support them. Asterisks everywhere! It's a mess!

Modded Xboxes are all over Ebay these days, they stopped giving a poo poo a while ago. These are probably fine, though I'd consider asking about the clock cap.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 10, 2023

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Good soup! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IISg373pmII

Uhhh??

https://youtu.be/evaLhLb97mE

https://youtu.be/0Pnl1ulaG5k

I eventually grew to love most major sports, but we were a basketball house when I was young. These themes are like old friends

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

one of the NHL2k games had the option to replace play-by-play with "dynamically scored" orchestral music. Was absolutely HYSTERICAL when they're going full crescendo in a 5-1 blowout

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I sometimes think of Otogi and consider hooking my old xbox up

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
JollyBoyJohn hooking up the auld xbox to his ma's telly for a wee go of Otogi is for real!

Both are in the back compat program (added in the most recent and final update, I think?) but us series S owners have to drop £18 each for the privilege of a digital copy :retrogames:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

S if for sucks.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Are there any guides or something for fixing a Samsung DVD drive for the Xbox?

My drive won't read discs and I've managed to find the adjustment pot, but I have no idea where to measure the correct resistance or what it even is supposed to be.
Best I could find was some 10 year old mobile video of some dude apparently fixing the problem but not actually showing anything he was doing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

S if for sucks.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Really sad I threw my launch day, pogo pin modded OG Xbox in the trash 10 years ago. Now that I have a bunch of boys who want to do couch coop, I'd use the heck out of that silly thing for split screen FPS and stuff.

If I want to get one, is best luck just going to eBay and trying to get an original, then mod it with MakeMHz for HDMI, mod chip? Or is there someone who sells refurb ones ready to go?

It looks like we've come a long way from yboxdash.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

barnold posted:

Yup. I remember when it first came out and you'd maybe see 30-50 people online at once......and then it continued to dwindle until there weren't even enough people to have a decent game. That was a sad time. But custom soundtracks totally ruled.

The original xbox was a game changer and probably the most memorable system for me. From collecting points to get my lime green Mountain Dew Xbox, to trading games (TradeGamesNow) through the mail, to Xbox Live........good memories.

Reminds me that I have to remove that clock capacitor.....

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 13, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got my HDMI adapter showing up in the mail this week! Can't wait to soft mod and get back to showing my fam stupid crap I used to play in 2001

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Anybody have a good tutorial of how I can get a decade+ old softmod working again? I don't have the game I used anymore, I think I did a passaround via mail with goons in like 2006? to get it setup initially. But now it just boots into the regular old Xbox dash (and can't remember the time every time it turns on, which is also a thing to figure out)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Nevermind, I apparently just had to hit the right controller buttons and it booted into xbmc! Now I need to see if there's a way to connect it to a modern plex server.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Tatsuta Age posted:

Anybody have a good tutorial of how I can get a decade+ old softmod working again? I don't have the game I used anymore, I think I did a passaround via mail with goons in like 2006? to get it setup initially. But now it just boots into the regular old Xbox dash (and can't remember the time every time it turns on, which is also a thing to figure out)

I think I modded mine back in the day using Splinter Cell. After doing some internal maintenance (removing clock capacitor, cleaning up motherboard and dust removal), I plugged mine back in and turned it on for probably the first time in a decade or so. Booted right up to XMC. After a few minutes of playing Amped.....I realized that I had little reason to keep it out so it went right back into its box for safekeeping.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

the button combo for the soft reboot to XBMC is usually LT+RT+Back+White pressed simultaneously on the controller. booting into the retail dash is odd as it should not be doing that. if you have access to a burner and a blank CD/DVD in tyool 2024 then you can download a copy of the Rocky5 Extras disc from here: https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool?tab=readme-ov-file and it will help you update that old rear end version of XBMC to something a little more updated

alternatively you can put all the files on a FAT-formatted USB drive but you'd need one of the adapters to plug it into one of the controller ports, and then launch the .xbe from within your existing softmod's file browser

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

we are so loving back.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’m fighting really hard to not stop working and fire it up and I need to clean because I have a date coming over tomorrow oh god maybe I should cancel

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

why can't you just play halo on your date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

split screen h2 rumble pit with your date. let her feel the wrath of your battle rifle (no not like that)