Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're all interchangeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

That's another misconception. XBOX disc layouts are CAV instead of the standard CLV of DVD. GC and Wii discs are the same (though obviously formatted differently).

You can use regular IDE drives, but requires a molex splitter (power delivery on stock drives is custom) a patched BIOS and original games won't work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not that I'm aware of. I'd imagine there's too many much cheaper ways to use non-standard optical disc variations without needing a special DVD drive with a motor that spins both ways.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The main thing to look out for is if the clock capacitor has been replaced. By this point the majority of them have leaked and without having been serviced, the goop eats through the motherboard. The newer Xbox revisions don't suffer from this (as much) but they're bad in other ways, mostly stemming from different video encoders causing compatibility issues. My personal favorite revision is v1.2, it's easy to soft or hard mod and uses the original video encoder chip. More info here. That wiki is useful in general, so keep it bookmarked.

Xbox modding isn't hard, but it's complicated due to the array of options available. For example mine is a v1.2 that was softmodded using the hotswapping method and that alone lets you run games off the HDD, but I also flashed the on-board BIOS chip with an Xecuter BIOS (a hacked Microsoft BIOS that adds all the fun features) by bridging a couple pads with some wire and running a flashing utility. That gets you some extra features like soft reset using button combinations on the controller, trainers, faster boot times and other perks. On top of that, I have an IDE to SATA adapter and a 2TB HDD installed. But there's other ways to get those features too, that's just a particularly frugal way as it didn't require a dedicated modchip, though softmodding does require a PC with an IDE connector, so not as accessible as it once was.

But to put the above in perspective, you can mod any version of Xbox, run games from an SSD instead of a HDD with the appropriate adapter, there's many different revisions of Xecuter and later versions aren't necessarily better as well as alternative BIOSes from different groups. Modchips can add extra hardware features like the ability to hook up front panel displays. You can add fully digital HDMI output too, but installing that particular mod is extremely complicated. As is adding more RAM (up to 128MB) and a 1.4Ghz CPU upgrade, both of which need appropriate BIOS hacks and software that has been compiled or hacked to support them. Asterisks everywhere! It's a mess!

Modded Xboxes are all over Ebay these days, they stopped giving a poo poo a while ago. These are probably fine, though I'd consider asking about the clock cap.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 10, 2023