Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Remember when the mods deposed Lowtax in a palace coup and sent him into exile? That was wild lmao

Does anyone actually have a coherent narrative on how it all went down? Like, not the causes or his fate or whatever, specifically the actual struggle for control over the site. All I ever saw was panic, people trying to feed posters into their little spinoff sites, and a bunch of mod posts on the process I can’t find any more. It seems like the sort of thing that should be recorded for posterity, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The whole situation is pretty complicated, really. People want to see things in black and white but it is rarely that simple. This is why I find it frustrating that there's so much LOWTAX = BAD floating around. He wasn't all bad. Nor was he all good. Whether we like it or not these forums exist because of him.

Even then though the guy was clearly hurting and the incessant attacks he had to deal with from the shittier elements of the internet certainly couldn't have helped. The motto is, after all, "the internet makes you stupid."

Dude did have years of questionable behavior and a strong pattern of domestic abuse under his belt. Like, it’s possible to acknowledge that people are complex, that they have good and bad sides to their personality, while ultimately making a judgment depending on how the scales are weighted. There comes a point where, however much pain he’s in, the pain he causes to others outweighs it.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

I was active in the Tradgames forum then, I remember swarms of people invading it to shill their favorite websites. One of them startes gaining traction before the mods took control, what was it, Bread + Roses?