Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

rotor posted:

its basically a live 2 way code review

Truman Peyote posted:

exhausting is a really accurate term for it. i do think you get good code out of it and it's really great for teaching/learning. but i absolutely cannot do it for more than like an hour

both of these have been my experience. the driver writes the code while the navigator serves as a rubber duck and maybe points out the occasional blind spot. frequently useful, but i wouldn't want it to be the only way i write code

never tried swapping roles every few minutes. that just sounds like a great way to gently caress up both people's trains of thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

rotor posted:

navigator also looks up api docs that the driver will need in a little while so when they get there it's just "its getWidget and it takes a string name and an int id and the property hash we just built"

oh, yeah. i frequently have docs open in a tab when i'm navigating

i should also note that 99% of my pair programming has been over a screen share in a slack call or something similar, not two people sitting at one computer

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

man in the eyeball hat posted:

i had a good pair session right when i started my current gig. my boss, the guy who wrote all the code before i joined, was walking me through some profiling and basically rubber ducking each other on how to speed it up. it helped me to see how he wanted things prioritized in the code and to get my bearings in a codebase written by one guy.

we hired another dev and i did the same process with him. we walked through some bug he had to work on and saw how we each debugged things and liked to approach problems.

these are the only two pair sessions ive had. they were both immensely helpful for the new employee in both cases, and usedul for me in the latter case as the senior. i dont think i could work like this on the reg but it was v productive as a realtime knowledge transfer tool and getting exposure to different approaches

wtf, i don't remember posting this

srsly tho, i can also think of examples where pairing benefited the senior. in one case, the junior innocently posed a question that brought an architectural weakness to the senior's attention.

narrator's voice: datroof was the senior

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

QuantumPotato posted:

i briefly worked on a team where the engineering director was like the mad hatter of software management. whatever hackernews article hoved into his vision was the NEW, MANDATORY PRODUCTIVITY IMPROVER. so for about 3 months, every dev who reported to this dude was required to pair, with an assigned partner, for 6 hours a day, swapping every 20 minutes at maximum. My partner and I played TDD red light, green light (A writes a failing test, B implements the minimum for the test to pass and writes the next failing test, A implements next minimum, writes next test, repeat ad infinitum) for most of that time.

first impression: that sounds like absolute hell

second impression: that might actually work well in certain circumstances, for certain tasks

tell me if i'm wrong, but if your team was even kinda functional, i'd guess that process stopped being mandatory after a couple weeks but still happened organically on occasion