Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

quote:

Pair programming consists of two programmers sharing a single workstation (one screen, keyboard and mouse among the pair). The programmer at the keyboard is usually called the “driver”, the other, also actively involved in the programming task but focusing more on overall direction is the “navigator”; it is expected that the programmers swap roles every few minutes or so.
https://www.agilealliance.org/gloss...~%27asc~page~1)

sounds like hell. i don't think i could ever work this way, because a lot of the time i'm figuring out how to approach a problem, or my brain is not working at all, depending on my motivation. what do you think? does anyone do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

everything on the agile website is wrong and bad. like why would you describe what's valued about left and right sides of "the agile manifesto" in reverse order?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

rotor posted:

pair programming is super good imo but it is exhausting and you really have to get along well with your pair.

idk about swapping roles every few minutes tho, that seems weird. You kind of just swap when you want to and when it feels right.

i've done it like 14 years ago working on a backend project that used php and mysql. we definitely never swapped. it was mostly confusing to me, because our thoughts and methods were often different from one another. i think it's better to plan how things should work, and meet periodically

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

okay, maybe i shouldn't have such a strong bias against it. part of it's probably because people i've worked with didn't really work that way, but if the opportunity arises i'll be open to it

Shaggar posted:

paired programming is great for teaching purposes where the person on the keyboard is learning some skill from the other person like a senior dev walking a junior dev through some problem. you can help them work thru it and provide suggestions or questions for them to consider why or how to do something.

doesnt really work for peers tho

that's basically what happened when i tried it. i was the junior dev. exhausting definitely described it too