Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D

Hi! Thanks for checking out my Let's Play of Disco Elysium - The Final Cut. This is my first attempt to do an LP, so I wanted to do it by playing a game I really like with a friend to help me along. I'm going to try and show as much of the game as I can, especially the voice acting that comes with the Final Cut edition. As a result, this is gonna be a very slow-paced LP, where I take direction from my friend, Tyler, who is going in blind. So if a chill experience where we slowly soak up what this game has to offer is up your alley, welcome aboard.

If you'd prefer a more experienced LPer taking this game up in screenshot format, please do check out Arist's playthrough in the LP Archive. It's incredibly done and inspired me to buy and start playing this game in the first place.

After we reach a conclusion, I plan on taking the game back up and showing some of the stuff we missed one way or another, so stick around for that!

Please tag spoilers up until we reach the end. After that, fair game. Also, here's your content warning; this game has a lot of potential triggers. These include drug abuse, suicide, rape, racism, homophobia, and more. These are for the most part textual, but nevertheless, you have been warned.

Updates Wednesday, sometimes on Sunday. Revachol forever.

Updates
Here's the YouTube playlist of all episodes. Individual episode links will follow.

Day 1
Episode 1: Feuding With My Limbic System
Episode 2: An Immense Gold and Orange Soul
Episode 3: Dick Mullen Would Never Lose His Badge
Episode 4: Little Imagination and Nothing to Do
Episode 5: Nine Hundred Famous Cops, None of Them Real
Episode 6: A Tiny, Party-Eyed, Drunken Baby of a Man
Episode 7: Singing into the Popophone
Episode 8: Hot Mug and Racist Mug
Episode 9: Given with Resentment
Episode 10: Hooked on Snitching
Episode 11: Crying and Convulsing
Episode 12: We Are Very Smart and Intelligent
Episode 13: The Ham Sandwich Race
Episode 14: I'm Guessing This Is Bad
Episode 15: This Grotesque, Duplicitous World
Episode 16: We're All in Hell
Episode 17: Harry Dat Boi
Episode 18: Stooges of the Bourgeoisie
Episode 19: A Disco Holdover
Episode 20: Bloated Corpse of a Drunk

Day 2
Episode 21: The Big Man with the Gun
Episode 22: Everything's Cool
Episode 23: Steal from Bono
Episode 24: Copporooni Roonie
Episode 25: Merchant First, Moralist Second
Episode 26: A Strangling-Based Culture
Episode 27: For the Rest of My Life
Episode 28: The Working Class is a Polycule
Episode 29: Tracts and Wakes and Waterways
Episode 30: That's Police Work, Baby
Episode 31: Tyler Wastes the Sacred Gift of Speech
Episode 32: John Madden
Episode 33: gently caress the System
Episode 34: Segue
Episode 35: Exorcising Their Demons
Episode 36: Roll the Bones
Episode 37: Does Glock Make Muzzleloaders?
Episode 38: Ze Price Stabilité
Episode 39: Smelled Like Betrayal

Day 3
Episode 40: Just One Cryptid
Episode 41: I DROVE MY CAR INTO THE SEA????!?!?!?!?!!!??!!!!
Episode 42: Tequila Sunset
Episode 43: Parthonosis
Episode 44: Wompty-Dompty-Daddy-Dom Centre
Episode 45: Contact Mike
Episode 46:A Major Eyck Head
Episode 47: The Swallow
Episode 48: Ringo Starr's Feet
Episode 49: When Was the Last Time This World Had Anything New to Say?
Episode 50: Mega Sad
Episode 51: The Smallest Church in Saint-Saëns
Episode 52: We Are Heroes

Day 4
Chapter 53: Oink Oink
Chapter 54: Pretty Sure They're Social Democrats
Episode 55: Firefighters are Very Cool
Episode 56: Still on the Boat
Episode 57: Human Can-Opener
Episode 58: Welcome to Disco Elysium
Episode 59: Don't Panic, It's Beautiful
Episode 60: The Art of Physical Displacement
Episode 61: The Instigator
Episode 62: Welcome to the loving Reckoning

Day 6
Episode 63: Bust a Move
Episode 64: Disco Inferno
Episode 65: The Greatest Innocence
Episode 66: The Deserter, Part 1
Episode 67: The Deserter, Part 2
Episode 68: The Insulindian Phasmid
Episode 69: Detective Kuuno de Ruyter

theamazingchris fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 1: Feuding With My Limbic System

In this episode, we are rudely awakened from the sweet darkness of non-existence and forced to confront reality, as filtered through the Whirling-In-Rags.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The link in the OP goes to imgur, but the link in the second post goes to youtube fyi

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The link in the OP goes to imgur, but the link in the second post goes to youtube fyi

Fixed, thanks.

It's good that I hosed up immediately; it sets the tone well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This should be a lot of fun. Looking for ward to more.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 2: An Immense Gold and Orange Soul

In this episode, we think about names, and the many (3) cafeterias Garte manages.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 3: Dick Mullen Would Never Lose His Badge

In this episode, we feel the love and support of our coworkers, and speak to a long-suffering former employee of the Whirling-In-Rags.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 4: Little Imagination and Nothing to Do

In this episode, we figure out what the hell crime, romance, and fame is.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I gotta make time and get caught up on these vids.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Something's weird about the encoding on 4, every time the camera moves the entire image artifacts like crazy.

Actually, looking back, the other videos do that too, but now that you're running around exploring the outdoors it's happening a lot more frequently.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 2, 2021

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Sindai posted:

Something's weird about the encoding on 4, every time the camera moves the entire image artifacts like crazy.

Actually, looking back, the other videos do that too, but now that you're running around exploring the outdoors it's happening a lot more frequently.

Thanks for pointing this out, yeah it was definitely a fuckup on my end causing that. It'll be fixed going forward. When I have a minute I can reupload the first few videos as well.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 5: Nine Hundred Famous Cops, None of Them Real

In this episode, we speak to the spectre haunting the bookstore, and engage with other parapsychological phenomena.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 6: A Tiny, Party-Eyed, Drunken Baby of a Man

In this episode, we actually look at the body of the murder victim for the first time.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 7: Singing into the Popophone

In this episode, we talk to the worst child on earth for over half an hour.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Too bad you didn't savescum for the Punch Cuno check. Really wanted to see what would happen

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Enjoying this LP since I did a purple/red run and stalled out on doing a blue/yellow one. The whole tone of the game is different when you're working off of actual detective logic rather than burnout psychic visions.

If you're only going to do one run I'd definitely go with purple/red though. It practically turns the game into a fever dream at times.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Too bad you didn't savescum for the Punch Cuno check. Really wanted to see what would happen
IIRC it makes Cuno cooperative, skipping past the usual back and forth before he'll answer questions, since he's used to being hit by his dad. :smith:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 16, 2021

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 8: Hot Mug and Racist Mug

In this episode, we mostly just dig through the garbage, and uncover things perhaps best left there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Oof. That roll giving that result.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Luckily, Disco Elysium is a very fail-forward kinda game. One of the reason's it's so endearing is that even when the game tells you "no, you can't do that" it always has something else for you to go do.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 9: Given with Resentment

In this episode, we stand in one spot for over an hour. I am so sorry.

I'll also paste the Magnesium-Based Lifeform text here as well as in the YouTube description if you want to read it again.

PROBLEM
It is generally understood that human beings are carbon-based organisms, fusing little carbon tubes together to form complex, mushy structures capable of thought, love, and locomotion. It is also known that these structures sometimes like to “take the edge off” by consuming ethanol, amphetamine, etc. In such cases, it is important to supplement your body with magnesium. Tired? Mag it! Down? Mag time! Liver damage? MAXIMUM MAG! Some people say magnesium doesn’t really do anything and you just need to quit. What do we tell them?

SOLUTION
We tell them: HELL NO. You’re about to become a magnesium-based lifeform. The age of the primitive carbon-man is done. No longer must mankind rely on slow-working background radiation to take us further into our genetic destiny. This is the era of guided evolution, and magnesium is the key. You are the first of your species. The next step in human evolution. An advanced magnesium proto-man who mags it up, drinks it down, and sniffs it sideways!

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 10: Hooked on Snitching

In this episode, we talk to Cuno again, and finally get in contact with a medical professional.

Here's the Lonesome Long Way Home text, for your reference.

PROBLEM
Let’s rewind. Let’s trace your drunken steps back home. Jump across the raised channel bridge south-west of here. Fall over. Get up. Get off the asphalt in 20 minutes, shuffle your feet through courtyards, scaring little children. Go under the great raised motor-tract, the 8/81, until you reach le domaine éminent in North Jamrock. The streets are frozen this time of year, caked with ice. Walk down Main, to Perdition -- there’s a side alley there and your footprints in the mud...

SOLUTION
...here we go. Home awaits. Walk past Station 41 and through the market. Past the Boogie Street spearhead to the other side of the lake -- the frozen eye at the center of the district. Then past the video rental store on the corner. There, at the end of a street lined with pine trees: a small house, no larger than a matchbox. 11 Voyager Road. You no longer live there. Those times are gone, and so are those people. Why did you come here? Why are you still here? And where’s the dealer? You have to get back to work. That’s all you have now.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 11: Crying and Convulsing

In this episode, we chat to some folks in the neighbourhood and try very, very hard to get our poo poo together.

Here's the text for the Volumetric poo poo Compressor thought! A classic.

PROBLEM
Your poo poo is *apart*, and it's rather unbecoming of a cop and a human being. It's supposed to be the opposite of that: *together*. Compressed in a small area. To achieve a solid level of poo poo-compression, squeeze your butt-cheeks together for 30 minutes. Do something similar with the two hemispheres of your brain. Talk to people, maybe that will help.

SOLUTION
Bizarre scientific news from Revachol West today, where a police officer's poo poo has been observed at a pressure of around 495 giga-decimals. These metallic hydrogen levels of poo poo-togetherness were thought to exist only at the center of collapsing stars, not law officials. It remains to be seen how long the poo poo-singularity lasts.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That's weird, it definitely looked like the bonus learning cap from that thought wasn't working at all. Hopefully that doesn't stop you from examining the body eventually.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Yeah, sneak peek of next ep, a quick restart fixed the bug.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Double post!!!! Aren't you all lucky.

Episode 12: We Are Very Smart and Intelligent

In this episode, we wander around the traffic jam and sell all that sweet, sweet tare we've been collecting.

Episode 13: The Ham Sandwich Race

In this episode, we learn about a totally objective and not batshit insane way of classifying different races in the world of Disco Elysium.

theamazingchris fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 7, 2022

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I am impressed by how hard the game punishes you for pretending to be racist.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Measurehead is pretty funny for a critical race theorist

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pretty sure he's more of an uncritical race theorist

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 14: I'm Guessing This Is Bad

In this episode, we decide to punch a man who is two heads taller than us.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 15: This Grotesque, Duplicitous World

In this episode, we internalize communism.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 16: We're All in Hell

In this episode, we pomp eet, put on cool jeans, and jump off a building.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 17: Harry Dat Boi

In this episode, we finally meet hero of the working classes, Evrart Claire.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 18: Stooges of the Bourgeoisie

In this episode, we finally debrief after our long, hard day of detective work.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

In this episode, we explore Revachol after dark, which is not as exciting as that implies.

Also, in a housekeeping note for the LP, it's likely there will be no updates for 1-2 weeks. Sorry to the handful of you who are regular watchers, but given some personal circumstances it will be difficult to get the updates out for a little while. Might be I'm overstating things though, and there'll be a post on Wednesday anyways. I'll keep you posted.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

theamazingchris posted:

Sorry to the handful of you who are regular watchers

They're on to me! :tinfoil:

In all seriousness, I hope everything's OK. I love blind-pilot experienced-copilot LPs, and this has been no exception.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 20: Bloated Corpse of a Drunk

I'm back! At least for now. I'm still a bit behind but I didn't want to go two weeks without a new update. Hopefully next Wednesday there will be another new update, or maybe another week after that, just gotta make the time. I hope you enjoy our dream sequence!

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 21: The Big Man with the Gun

We are officially back! We got a snazzy new thumbnail and outro for Day 2 in Revachol, and the updates are coming thick and fast, so strap in.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 22: Everything's Cool

Join us, as we experience Full Life Consequences.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 23: Steal from Bono

In this episode, we discuss how theft is cool and good, and how true it is that everyone should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

Episode 24: Copporooni Roonie

In this episode, we talk to a corpse, and ourselves, at the same time. This may or may not be symbolic.